Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are bragging rights worth $15k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^^^
I have a new Z06 C8 ( 6 months old) . It will run mid tens where is the long range runs about 11 1/4 mile. In reality is comparing apples to oranges Z06 sports car/ track car which will handle significantly better than the Tesla and will just abuse it on a track day. ( not one hot lap)….

My daily driver is a Plaid S. Worth every bit extra over a long range.
Best of both worlds 👍🤘

Since the price drop, I’m seriously considering a Model S. I used to own a ‘22 LR, and liked it a lot. I sold it when prices got so crazy and made a few bucks. When comparing the LR and Plaid, the cars appear to be exactly the same, other than speed. The LR I owned was no slouch, and I can’t imagine ever needing to go 200mph. I do enjoy acceleration, but is a 0-60 one second improvement worth $15k? I’ll never track the car. Are bragging rights worth $15k?
0-60 in 3.1 seconds was supercar territory 20+ years ago. If you have fun with that, the Plaid really isn't worth it. To make the Plaid really the Plaid, you need the track package, summer tires....etc. Since you'll never track the car, you can probably use that $15,000 for FSD, taxes, registration....etc and come even in price.

Reactions: T3SLAROD and teko
0-60 in 3.1 seconds was supercar territory 20+ years ago. If you have fun with that, the Plaid really isn't worth it. To make the Plaid really the Plaid, you need the track package, summer tires....etc. Since you'll never track the car, you can probably use that $15,000 for FSD, taxes, registration....etc and come even in price.
You do not need the ccb to make it the plaid. The steel brakes are perfectly adequate for driving on public roads.

If you are tracking the vehicle then yes you need the track pack brakes.

You do not need the ccb to make it the plaid. The steel brakes are perfectly adequate for driving on public roads.

If you are tracking the vehicle then yes you need the track pack brakes.
I'm suggesting that the 2.2 second 0-60 time is fun but for someone who will never track the car, $15,000 of fun? If you want it of course, get it. But having more range and saving $15,000 is a strong argument too for someone who has doubts if it's worth it. Just asking if it's worth it tells me everything about the way they should probably go. The Plaid is perfect for someone who wants that occasional acceleration boost off the line just for fun and will never track the car.

3.1 seconds is quicker than the original Roadster, over a second quicker than the P85.

Since the price drop, I’m seriously considering a Model S. I used to own a ‘22 LR, and liked it a lot. I sold it when prices got so crazy and made a few bucks. When comparing the LR and Plaid, the cars appear to be exactly the same, other than speed. The LR I owned was no slouch, and I can’t imagine ever needing to go 200mph. I do enjoy acceleration, but is a 0-60 one second improvement worth $15k? I’ll never track the car. Are bragging rights worth $15k?
No, buy the cheaper one and send the $15K to Doctors without Borders..they can use it..

Reactions: TimTam and dsm363
I'm suggesting that the 2.2 second 0-60 time is fun but for someone who will never track the car, $15,000 of fun? If you want it of course, get it. But having more range and saving $15,000 is a strong argument too for someone who has doubts if it's worth it. Just asking if it's worth it tells me everything about the way they should probably go. The Plaid is perfect for someone who wants that occasional acceleration boost off the line just for fun and will never track the car.

3.1 seconds is quicker than the original Roadster, over a second quicker than the P85.
The MS LR won't hit the 3.1 claimed 0-60 times. The M3P will beat it all day long to 60 mph if that is what you like. The MS LR launches a lot more softly. While the typical 3.4 sec to 60 seems good on paper, it is lacking the visceral thrill of the launch of the M3P let alone the Plaid. The M3P launches harder to about 25 mph and the the MS LR will easily pull it. Overall the M3P was a lot more fun to drive stoplight to stoplight than MS LR.

Once on the highway the MS LR was a lot more fun. All around the Plaid's acceleration has always been fun. The Plaid will likely run 60-120 mph faster than the MS LR can do 0-60. For it was worth every penny difference, even though I started out with the MS LR and ultimately sold it. Not a single day have I looked back and regretted selling it. The only other car in recent memory that I was even happier to move on from was our MY.

If you don't really care about acceleration, then the LR is probably fine. It is likely the most boring 3 second 0-60 car I've ever driven in my life. While it is reasonably quick the acceleration curve feels so flat, it seems mundane. By comparison, the Plaid is like a carrier launch when you unleash it.

Reactions: Yelobird and brkaus
The MS LR won't hit the 3.1 claimed 0-60 times. The M3P will beat it all day long to 60 mph if that is what you like. The MS LR launches a lot more softly. While the typical 3.4 sec to 60 seems good on paper, it is lacking the visceral thrill of the launch of the M3P let alone the Plaid. The M3P launches harder to about 25 mph and the the MS LR will easily pull it. Overall the M3P was a lot more fun to drive stoplight to stoplight than MS LR.

Once on the highway the MS LR was a lot more fun. All around the Plaid's acceleration has always been fun. The Plaid will likely run 60-120 mph faster than the MS LR can do 0-60. For it was worth every penny difference, even though I started out with the MS LR and ultimately sold it. Not a single day have I looked back and regretted selling it. The only other car in recent memory that I was even happier to move on from was our MY.

If you don't really care about acceleration, then the LR is probably fine. It is likely the most boring 3 second 0-60 car I've ever driven in my life. While it is reasonably quick the acceleration curve feels so flat, it seems mundane. By comparison, the Plaid is like a carrier launch when you unleash it.
The acceleration on the P85 from 2012 is fun at 4.5 seconds. We are talking sub 5 second cars here.

People should get what they want but to suggest 0-60 in less than 3.5 seconds isn’t good or fun doesn’t hold up. If you want a Plaid and can afford it., and you don’t mind spending $1,400 in tires every year or less, get the plaid. If you have doubts and just want to launch it at a light now and then, the long range for $15,000 less is a great car.

You buy the Plaid as you said if you want 60-120mph acceleration. The OP was expressing doubts about the cost and saying he’d never track the car.

I think you’re missing the target market here. People who care about a 2 versus 3 second car know they care. Someone who wants a sedan to go to work who has never owned an EV will be thrilled with a 3.1 second car. Any car under 5 seconds is very quick. Unless you’re willing to put on summer tires, anything quicker really isn’t practical. All seasons will start to slip at max acceleration even in the P85.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tessd
What, no love for the Model S Performance? lol. This is my first EV and I’ve owend my 2020 for about 2 months now. I haven’t even done a “proper“ ludicrous + launch yet because that trick is just completely impractical to me. Just ripping from a stop in standard ludicrous mode gives me brain fade. if I were starting from scratch today though, I think I’d get 2021 or 2022 plaid just because the pricing is starting to be very attractive. For me, It’s not just about the off the line thrust. Its also the thrust available while already at highway speed and the non-fading power that is worth it to me. Kinda like the Long-range I presume? But my Performance model feels plenty fast enough without the gimmicky cheetah stance launch For 99% of my driving needs.

Reactions: Drew-MS
What, no love for the Model S Performance? lol. This is my first EV and I’ve owend my 2020 for about 2 months now. I haven’t even done a “proper“ ludicrous + launch yet because that trick is just completely impractical to me. Just ripping from a stop in standard ludicrous mode gives me brain fade. if I were starting from scratch today though, I think I’d get 2021 or 2022 plaid just because the pricing is starting to be very attractive. For me, It’s not just about the off the line thrust. Its also the thrust available while already at highway speed and the non-fading power that is worth it to me. Kinda like the Long-range I presume? But my Performance model feels plenty fast enough without the gimmicky cheetah stance launch For 99% of my driving needs.
Can’t beat a 2.4 2020 performance for the price. They can be had for 50K or less with good mikes! Great bang for the Buck 👍

My answer is a definite YES, especially at the present time with the price difference of $15k. When I purchased my Plaid in August of 2021, the price difference between the two was $40k. Even then, I thought the Plaid was worth the extra $40k. IMO $90k for a Plaid is a no brainer.

Of course it's great for new buyers today but it really SUX for us early purchasers that paid $40k more for a 2021 compared to a 2023 Plaid which has nicer taillights, tilting screen etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDRick
Great to hear it from someone who had lived it. Now my problem was owning a model s performance and having one simply lay into it just because I was minding my business passing two lanes. We were already doing 70ish so there wasn’t I wasn’t going to walk away from him so didn’t even try. Oooh if I had a plaid though lol.
My previous Tesla was a P100D. The car felt super quick and would beat most cars on the road from 0-75mph, 30-75, 50-75, etc. but that definitely wasn't the case on the highway from 75mph+. At that time, I also had a 2018 ECU tuned E63 with about 700hp. One evening, a friend and I went to a desolate wide open service road. He was driving my E63 and me the P100D (90% soc.) From 70-100+, neck and neck for 1-2 seconds and then the E63 started pulling away at about 80-85mph. The E63 easily walked the P100D above 100mph. Of course, the P100D smoked the E63 from 0 and from any speed below 50mph up to about 75-80. That said, my P100D felt like it had half the power (especially at highway speeds) when the soc was less than 50% compared to 90%. Thankfully, that isn't the case with the Plaid. Acceleration in my Plaid at 30% soc from 60mph feels stronger than my P100D did at 90% soc from 30mph.

Reactions: SDRick
My MS LR was a refreshed 2022. I made hundreds of runs in it. Typical 0-60 was about 3.4-3.5. That was no rollout. Which puts it right in the ballpark of the MYP and slower than the M3P. Best run was 3.28. There is a long thread on this very topic here. Comparatively it picks up against most cars from about 40-50 mph. I think the best run I've seen on Dragy for a MS LR is something like 3.18 and that still doesn't meet the claimed 3.1 time. Many M3P's will beat their claimed 3.1 time. I know they are claimed differently from Tesla (rollout vs no-rollout).

Another way of looking at it. Even though MSLR and M3P have about the same 0-60 times, the MSLR's 1/4 mile time is nearly a second faster than the M3P. Worlds apart.

Another way of looking at it. Even though MSLR and M3P have about the same 0-60 times, the MSLR's 1/4 mile time is nearly a second faster than the M3P. Worlds apart.
It is obvious when you drive them back to back assuming you get up in the upper speed ranges. For a lot of people stuck in a dense urban environment, you might never take advantage of it.

I was definitely impressed the first time I hit the accelerator at about 65 mph. It was the first time my MS LR really brought a smile to my face. The first time it actually felt like a 10 second car.

Reactions: Drew-MS