Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Model 3 owners as "excited" as Model S first owners were?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious. When I got my S 5 years ago (having waited almost as long!) people everywhere were stopping me in parking lots asking me all about the cars.
My peers who had it ... we all talked around Superchargers (except day 1 we did't know we were getting them!) and any time any of us bumped into another a conversation ensued.

Fast forward to today. I just saw my first Model 3 in the wild.

Saw the owner walking to her car. So I asked her how she liked it?

Mentioned my S was parked next to hers.

Not a word. She had no distractions.

Rude? Or do Model 3 owners not care? Doubt I'll ask anyone again.

To a lot of people it's just a car. Keep in mind also that if she has a Model 3 she is most likely already an owner and so the enthusiasm is already damped a bit since this is technically a down-grade from whatever other Tesla she owns or owned.

Also.... fatigue is setting in for those waiting on it... at least for this probably future owner. Remember that a lot of the initial Model-3 excitement was around the $35,000 price, being available in "about a year", and being the everyman Tesla that the plebes could afford.

Tesla have seriously over promised and underwhelmed on this delivery.

Electric vehicles are also far more common than they were even three years ago.

I live on street w/ 7 homes the top house if for sale and there was a 3 parked in front during the open house. I parked behind the 3 instead of in my driveway because I was curious whose it was and we could pretend we were interested in the house too. We went into the open house and figured the 3 was the younger couples (not many people there) and left before them but kind of waited and as they were walking out I asked how they liked the 3. The owner responded that she was impressed I knew what it was (duh?) my S was parked right behind her 3. then she saw my S and realized why I knew about the 3, she said most people think it's an S.
She said she loves it but didn't say much more. The male said it was fun to drive...but it's not his though not sure how much he got to drive it.
I wonder how they got their 3, did not seem that they were previous Tesla owners whatsoever

The owner responded that she was impressed I knew what it was (duh?)

In my discussions with other people about my soon-to-be Model 3 most are aware of the Tesla brand but many have never heard of the Model 3. The more techy people I talk to are certainly knowledgeable of it. I think a good amount of people here at TMC do not realize how many people are out there that know absolutely nothing about the Model 3.

Reactions: Zythryn
I am curious. When I got my S 5 years ago (having waited almost as long!) people everywhere were stopping me in parking lots asking me all about the cars.
My peers who had it ... we all talked around Superchargers (except day 1 we did't know we were getting them!) and any time any of us bumped into another a conversation ensued.

Fast forward to today. I just saw my first Model 3 in the wild.

Saw the owner walking to her car. So I asked her how she liked it?

Mentioned my S was parked next to hers.

Not a word. She had no distractions.

Rude? Or do Model 3 owners not care? Doubt I'll ask anyone again.

5 years ago, the people getting a Model S were pioneers. Now, you are getting more and more late-early adopters. Pioneers have a lot more passion in the disruption aspect of the product.
Personal interest in the car is present on a much larger scale.
Passion about the disruption 0f EVs is still there in some, but not all.

In my Model 3 I have had far more waves and thumbs up from strangers. I have also had far fewer people taking pictures or seeking out the owner of the car they come across than I did with our Roadster or S.

Reactions: johnster007
I live on street w/ 7 homes the top house if for sale and there was a 3 parked in front during the open house. I parked behind the 3 instead of in my driveway because I was curious whose it was and we could pretend we were interested in the house too. We went into the open house and figured the 3 was the younger couples (not many people there) and left before them but kind of waited and as they were walking out I asked how they liked the 3. The owner responded that she was impressed I knew what it was (duh?) my S was parked right behind her 3. then she saw my S and realized why I knew about the 3, she said most people think it's an S.
She said she loves it but didn't say much more. The male said it was fun to drive...but it's not his though not sure how much he got to drive it.
I wonder how they got their 3, did not seem that they were previous Tesla owners whatsoever

Guaranteed that over 90% of the US population has zero idea of what a Model 3 is.

I was super-excited when I got my Roadster. I was excited when I got my Model 3. But not nearly as much so. Going from the Roadster to the Model 3 is not as big a deal as it was going from the Zap Xebra to the Roadster. ;) (From three wheels and zero to thirty-five mph in thirty-one seconds, to four wheels and zero to sixty mph in 4 seconds.) (But I still miss that little three-wheeled, garden-pest green p.o.s.)