Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Model 3s being delivered with front plates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sbtz

Jan 18, 2016
CA
This may vary by state -- my model S was delivered with a from plate holder, and it was a pain the butt to remove. Does anyone know whether model 3s are being delivered with front plate holders, and if so, whether they're easily removable?

I live in NY where it is required. When I arrived, it wasn't installed and they gave me the option to self-install or have them install it. It's essentially just 3M automotive that takes 10 seconds to install.

I had requested my ISA to pass along a message to the delivery team that I did not want the front license plate holder mounted (CA requires plates in the front; I was going to use a custom mount). She said that since CA requires front plates, the delivery center would mount it. Okay, fine. I would simply take it off ASAP. When I picked up my car, none of the cars in the lot had the front frame. No mention about it from the Sales Advisors. Found it in the trunk well. Most of the Teslas I see here in the Bay Area don't have front plates.

When I picked up my Model 3 in January, they delivered it without the front plate. When I picked up my Model S in June, the front place was installed (and was a b**** to remove). When I asked about leaving it off for my Model S, they said they were required to deliver it installed which I didn't question when they obviously didn't install it for my Model 3. I'm sure why these were two different experiences.

In TX we don't get the permanent plates w/the car. Just a single paper "plate", they come a couple weeks later. So there is nothing for Tesla delivery staff to mount on the front of the vehicle anyway. I'll definitely be asking my ISA to make sure they don't install it and it sounds like locally they've been pretty good about this.

Front plate required here in Texas. I expected it to show up installed with the Zero Emissions plate in it, but it was located in the small cubby hole in the trunk below the charge port. I was glad about that as I wanted to use The Law instead of sticking something on the car with double sided tape. The Law is a bit pricy, but I'm happy with it.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
In TX we don't get the permanent plates w/the car. Just a single paper "plate", they come a couple weeks later. So there is nothing for Tesla delivery staff to mount on the front of the vehicle anyway. I'll definitely be asking my ISA to make sure they don't install it and it sounds like locally they've been pretty good about this.

Same in Arizona. We also don't require front plates, so I just took it out of the frunk and set it aside.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Same in Arizona. We also don't require front plates, so I just took it out of the frunk and set it aside.
TX requires front plates, just not for the temporary paper tag that you drive away from the dealer lot with (which is good for, IIRC, up to 30 days). So Tesla doesn't have any legal posterior covering to motivate them to install it....and given their clientele they have probably been conditioned to expect that more often than not they'll get an earful if they do put it on. ;)

Reactions: pobudz