Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Model Y Performance only made to order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been checking Tesla inventory for a couple of weeks and performance models are yet to show up in inventory.
I thought it would be easier to guarantee a HW4 version if I could pick one up from inventory.
AFAIK, Tesla does not make ANY vehicle to order.
But they do make cars in batches. The batches include things like P, not P and color.
So, you may all the sudden see a number of red Model Y performances show up at once.

I'm not sure how you can guarantee a HW4 car from the inventory description.

AFAIK, Tesla does not make ANY vehicle to order.
But they do make cars in batches. The batches include things like P, not P and color.
So, you may all the sudden see a number of red Model Y performances show up at once.

I'm not sure how you can guarantee a HW4 car from the inventory description.

They probably think they can either ask someone about the vehicle they want to order, or go see it and refuse it if it doesnt have HW4 and its unlikely to work like either of those.

I would think that an existing inventory car would be less likely to have HW 4.0 as they're already made, possibly sat for a while while until the buyer cancelled the order, while custom ordered ones are more likely to be made to order? Although I see @ewoodrick says they're made in batches regardless so... Just wait a few months for the 3.0's to be cleared out and then order if you want to be safe.

-Paul

Reactions: ElectricAnt54