Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Model Y AWD would you get? (Factory/Engine/Options/Etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I'm not a Tesla person and looking to jump on. I recall when I was looking into it last year some had Matrix Headlights, some didn't you had to check the VIN, then something about different motors, etc.
I'm in no rush to pick up a car and I'd be happy to look at every car they have in inventory and pick the one I want. The question is what do I look for?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's not too many options.

RWD (rear wheel drive) with standard range battery
AWD with extended range battery
Performance with extended range battery

5 seats or 7

Tow hitch or none

19" standard wheels (more efficient, more comfortable)
20" premium wheels (sportier)

Colors

I got AWD 7 seats with tow hitch and 19" wheels.

• Funny
Reactions: youngmcdonald
And a rougher ride, and more expensive/damage prone tires, but also that savage acceleration.
I heard so much about the rough ride on the MYP that I hesitated for months about buying one. But after putting a few hundred miles on mine over the past two weeks I really haven’t noticed any issue with the suspension riding rough. I’m coming from a 2019 Model 3 LR RWD which had an even rougher suspension so for me it’s a step up. But I find the suspension on the MYP to be quite comfortable.

I heard so much about the rough ride on the MYP that I hesitated for months about buying one. But after putting a few hundred miles on mine over the past two weeks I really haven’t noticed any issue with the suspension riding rough. I’m coming from a 2019 Model 3 LR RWD which had an even rougher suspension so for me it’s a step up. But I find the suspension on the MYP to be quite comfortable.
When we replaced my wife’s Model 3 with a Model Y Performance last year, we test drove both a regular MY and MYP, and didn’t notice any difference in the ride. We were planning to get the regular MY LR, but ended up taking an MYP from inventory because it was heavily discounted. Before we decided to do that, we test drove the MYP to make sure the ride wasn’t too harsh, and it wasn’t.

Reactions: OCR1
So do they all come with Matrix Lights? What about motors are they all the same?

BTW for the ride quality. The people in the front it's pretty good but for the passengers in the rear... it's terrible... Ask someone to drive your car and sit in the back. Bring a barf bag lol

I noticed a difference on the test drives, I think most of it can be attributed to the 21” wheels wrapped with rubber bands. The suspension is lower, so theoretically less travel to absorb the really hard hits without bottoming out. I lusted after the MYP, but realized I’d quickly spend another $3K on 18” or 19” wheels so I could do tire rotations and have less concern about potholes bending a wheel. Maybe I’ll go P on the next one.

If the MYLR had a track mode, then that would have made our decision harder, but it doesn't so the MYP was the only choice for us.

We immediately swapped out our 24' MYP's 21's for 20's, lowered the tire pressure to 38spi (recommended here on the forum) and we find the ride quality to be just fine for the roads around here.

If you don't care about track mode and like the looks of the MYLR then I don't see any reason to get the MYP. They are both pretty fast.

The new M3 wheels are only rated for 710kg, the minimum for the Y is 750kg.

The curb weight for the MYLR is 4,398 lbs. The curb weight for the M3LR is 4,034 lbs. That 750 kg load rating is really there for worst case with trailering which I won't be doing. But this guy covers it in more depth.

Reactions: hydro
I love my MYP. The suspension is firm. It should be on a road wrinkling supercar. Combined with the front to rear balance and low center of gravity it makes handling superb. I don't like cars that feel like boats anyway. We are near the top of the list here for the worst roads in the nation. I don't even know how LEO can even identify a potential DUI. Everyone swerves all over the road no matter what they drive. Hit a HUGE hole on I5 not long ago at 70. I don't know how the car survived it but just lucky I guess. Didn't see it in time as traffic was heavy going south near Portland and my attention was elsewhere. There was no escape route at the time anyway.