Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Ontario EV Credits Ending?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yah. I agree. We have participated at a few EV events. If people have questions we answer them honestly and with integrity. We have steered more than a few away from EV’s when it was obvious they weren’t suited to the models they could afford. We have also steered more that a few towards EV’s when it was obvious they would be a good fit. Cult??? Really. ?

Reactions: Jaff
This (owners assisting type event) was also done in Oakville a few weeks back.

The event was geared at new prospects, not at badgering existing owners to trade up.

Your "cult" description is insulting imo.

Plenty of folks drive electric cars because of the lessened environmental impact (compared with ICE vehicles). Thousands of owners participate at hundreds of events across all provinces, trying to inform folks about the advantages of driving electric cars...all on their own time and of their own free will.

How is someone calling something a "cult" an insult?! Seriously? When did this era of living becoming so offended by anything anyone says?!

I hate to tell you this, but when you head into a "showroom" and find people who already own the vehicles just lingering around trying to "recruit" new people... that's basically a cult.
I'd understand if the people lived near by. Or if their vehicle was getting looked at while they were waiting. But to drive all the way down from your home which is about 40-45min's down to a service area and linger on a Sat afternoon without anything else to do?!?! Seriously?!

Meeting people at car meets or other events outside of the actual "dealer" environment is completely different. Enthusiasts I completely understand. Some of the best people I've met have been at car meets. But not what I experienced at the service center. It had the total feeling of being recruited for something... creepy.

Your definition of "cult" is not wrong, but I don't believe you should be looking at it that way. This are just a good group of current owners that support the Tesla mission and want to help in any way possible. They're only spreading the good word and encouraging ICE drivers to make the switch if they have any doubts.

You're talking about these guys as if they're Jehova's Witnesses.. I wouldn't complain until you have Tesla owners knocking on your door shoving Microsoft Word 2003 template brochures in your face. (No offense to Jehova or his witnesses)

Reactions: Jaff
How is someone calling something a "cult" an insult?! Seriously? When did this era of living becoming so offended by anything anyone says?!

I hate to tell you this, but when you head into a "showroom" and find people who already own the vehicles just lingering around trying to "recruit" new people... that's basically a cult.
I'd understand if the people lived near by. Or if their vehicle was getting looked at while they were waiting. But to drive all the way down from your home which is about 40-45min's down to a service area and linger on a Sat afternoon without anything else to do?!?! Seriously?!

Meeting people at car meets or other events outside of the actual "dealer" environment is completely different. Enthusiasts I completely understand. Some of the best people I've met have been at car meets. But not what I experienced at the service center. It had the total feeling of being recruited for something... creepy.
Side note, how do you justify driving an FD and a Tesla? Seems you have to two extreme ends of vehicular pollution. Asking for a friend with an FD.

Side note, how do you justify driving an FD and a Tesla? Seems you have to two extreme ends of vehicular pollution. Asking for a friend with an FD.

LOL
I have to even out my carbon footprint somehow... :)
Doritos power till the end of time.
Daily driver NC Miata will be replaced with the Model 3. But I've got time before Model 3's make it up here.

Soon.... soon....

Reactions: Buook
So off topic for the above...

My opinion is the EV credit will not end, but probably go down to $3000

I hope they can increase the rebate on charger and installation

Panel Upgrade + Pulling a new 6 AWG cable (120ft) could easily cost more than $3000

So off topic for the above...

My opinion is the EV credit will not end, but probably go down to $3000

I hope they can increase the rebate on charger and installation

Panel Upgrade + Pulling a new 6 AWG cable (120ft) could easily cost more than $3000

Oh yeah, defintely. Pretty sure the 14G incentive will take a hit. Doubt they'll compensate the installation for the required charging in your home though. I think they have a 1G rebate on that already??

That's the other thing I have to factor in. Getting cable ran to the garage won't be too bad since I'm not that far from my panel. I can imagine some people won't have that luxury in some homes.

I'll be looking into getting cable run in a few months. Want to prep ahead of time before I get the vehicle. :)

Does putting in an order lock you into the current rebate program? For example, let's say (hypothetically) that Tesla opens Model 3 Configurations and takes non-refundable deposits in May/June 2018 (Before the Ontario Election), but delivery wouldn't occur until the Fall of 2018. Given how the program worked in the past, would that allow us to lock into the $14,000 incentive program?

Does putting in an order lock you into the current rebate program? For example, let's say (hypothetically) that Tesla opens Model 3 Configurations and takes non-refundable deposits in May/June 2018 (Before the Ontario Election), but delivery wouldn't occur until the Fall of 2018. Given how the program worked in the past, would that allow us to lock into the $14,000 incentive program?

From what I've read and heard, no.
You have to had taken delivery of the vehicle before they give you any incentive. Doesn't matter if you've put in an order 1st day. If you have no physical car, you can't get anything.

Which is why people are so eager for their cars. They don't know what's going to happen with the incentive program when Model 3's finally start making their way here.

I've accepted the fact the incentive program will take a hit. There's no way the 14G incentive will hold once people start to take devliery of their Model 3's. There is an extraordinary demand for this vehicle. Despite the fact there's the Chevy Bolt and the BMW i3 available for electric alternatives (there are others, but I'm trying to pick vehicles that have a decent amount of range and don't take an eternity to charge)
I just hope the incentive program doesn't change too much for 2019. Which is the year I think I'll be able to get into a Model 3 once they process all the early bird line ups from 2016..

From what I've read and heard, no.
You have to had taken delivery of the vehicle before they give you any incentive. Doesn't matter if you've put in an order 1st day. If you have no physical car, you can't get anything.

That's not consistent with how they handled it in the past. When the rebate was lowered to $3,000 on cars costing over $75,000, they let buyers who had confirmed orders still get the old $8,500 rebate even past the cut-over date.

That's not consistent with how they handled it in the past. When the rebate was lowered to $3,000 on cars costing over $75,000, they let buyers who had confirmed orders still get the old $8,500 rebate even past the cut-over date.

I take it when you say confirmed orders you mean the purchasers had a valid VIN?
I think as long as you have a confirmed VIN, you go with whatever incentive was given at the time...

I take it when you say confirmed orders you mean the purchasers had a valid VIN?
I think as long as you have a confirmed VIN, you go with whatever incentive was given at the time...

That's sounds right from what I remember. There was a caveat that you had to accept delivery and submit paperwork within 6 months of when the program changed to keep grandfathered discount.

I spoke to the Ministry today and was told that my rebate request had just been processed (submitted in late September). Now it has to go for "management approval", any idea how long that takes? If it moves pretty quickly the entire process could be done by the end of the month, much faster than the 6-month delay I was originally expecting!

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Everyone does this. Everyone wants you to keep paying for a vehicle.
Ever since I fully paid off my Miata 5yrs ago, the persistent mail, email and a few phone calls asking me if I want to trade it in for a new model has been like clock work.

After visiting the Lawrence delivery center this a few weekends ago, I'm a little convinced the place operates kinda like a cult. Don't get me wrong, I admire the enthusiasm, but to have owners just linger around the lobby answering questions out of their own time and free will?! Nope, I dont' buy that. They're there to nudge you into a new Tesla whether you're ready for it or not.

I will gladly wait to see what comes of the Model 3. My present car can last me another year or 2 easily. Unless they somehow offer a Model S for the price of the 3, I'll be patiently waiting for my turn at obtaining a Model 3.

The owners club was asked to assist at an event for people invited to come in by appointment, for test drives and more product info.
You just happened to be there that day I guess. We have found that enthusiastic knowledgeable owners are a great help answering all the typical question prospective new EV owners have. There was no pressure, or ‘recruiting’ just lots of enthusiasm.