Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Tesla coming out ahead in CA $5-6 gas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are Tesla owners coming out ahead in general now that gas is $5-6 gallon in the CA area? Is there a clear graph that says for every $100 an ICE car spends on gas, how much does a Tesla spend to go the same distance if they can get cheap kwh rate like around 24 cents? I think it's gotten so bad with gas that one of my friends will do anything he can to not drive his Honda Element, usually by taking the train, or asking me for a ride as long as I'm around.

I did a long distance one day drive from San Clemente / Orange County, Lancaster, Bakersfield, and back to OC. Started out at 100% when I left home, all the supercharging costed about $30 for the day, then probably $20 to recharge at home since I came back with 10% battery, so used up all my energy.

My friend said our round trip distance was about the same as going from OC to Las Vegas one way. My friend offered to pay $25 for the arcade he wanted to visit and let me keep all the prizes which was a Monopoly & playing cards.

And my arcade friends always ask me to drive, which is fine with me, they always find a fair way to compensate me. Maybe it's giving me arcade prizes. Or maybe one of them will help me win tickets on my card so I can make twice the tickets in the same time. One of them now only takes the train and hardly drives his Honda Element because $5-6 gallon will cost him a ton if he does any 1-2 hour drives. I am wondering how much leverage I have being a Tesla owner when friends want me to drive b/c of gas prices.

Still Paying 12.5 cents per kWh from Austin Energy. Last year before the Great Freeze it was around 11 cents. The first 500 are cheaper but I always go over that even without charging, so I just assume the highest rate. Works out to around $10 for an 80% charge . For my MS all supercharging is free so I feel pretty fortunate right now. I'm sure as it all trickles down we will get a price increase even though most the electricity is produced from burning coal. Gasoline was in the mid $3 range when I looked today.

A Tesla in Calif. is no real big savings, when you have $0.32 kWh electric rate, and just using 48amps @ 240V (Tesla home charger) is the same as running FIVE 5 ton Air conditioners at the same time😱
80kwh battery X 0.32 cents is 25 dollars. Premium gas for your BMW at 7 dollars a gallon comes to be 90 dollars.

Also your none peak rate is much lower.

Reactions: mspohr and BMWM3Man
Time to move I guess...

I pay no more than 10 cents and 5 cents overnight/off peak. I could get 0.1 cent if I sign up for the EV rate but then the rates go up (.20) during the day time. GA Power said..."this works better if your not home during the day"...

Or you can do a nights and weekend plan but again I don't want to be limited by when I can use electricity.

Image 3-5-22 at 10.18 AM.jpg
Image 3-5-22 at 10.18 AM.jpg

Image 3-5-22 at 10.22 AM.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
I just checked and with all "fees" and stuff I'm .11 cents...without fees/taxes/BS 0.09 cents. This is their Normal Plan and we use the heck out of electricity...even been running the a/c upstairs a bit last month. $3-$4 to charge wife's Tesla overnight depending on charge level.

E026A032-2F3B-4158-82A2-628997EA8ED7_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
80kwh battery X 0.32 cents is 25 dollars. Premium gas for your BMW at 7 dollars a gallon comes to be 90 dollars.

Also your none peak rate is much lower.
TOD rate is 0.46 cents 4-9pm. Off peak is 0.26 cents. So it's no deal to be on a TOD rate plan here, even with solar. The Tiered plan is a flat 0.26 in Winter, but jumps to 0.32 after a base line of only 9kWh a day. So none peak is not much lower, and paying 0.46 cents when I most use power for A/C from 4-9 is not helped at all by solar. The old plans were much more cost effective, but are no longer available in my area. I have enough cost problems running two A/C units on a 110F+ day (approx 25 amps), without adding Five more A/C units to my system by sucking 48amps @ 240 volts for a Tesla.

Last edited:
I'm in Los Angeles, with LA Dept. of Water and Power.

The Tesla app uses my actual rate (I plug in what utility company I'm with, and what rate plan, and it utilizes my actual electric rate) and it uses the average gas prices for California, so that's not exact, but should be close.

You're also saving on Oil change, spark plugs, most filters other then cabin filters, replacing brakes less often..

Not sure how "A Tesla in California is no real big savings"... not trying to by flippant, seriously asking?

How can you NOT be saving money with any electric car in California, esp. with gas now nearing $6?? (I've seen gas over $6 in Malibu, and in my area, it's about $5.50/gallon)

Screenshot_20220305-075121_Tesla (1).jpg

I'm in Los Angeles, with LA Dept. of Water and Power.

The Tesla app uses my actual rate (I plug in what utility company I'm with, and what rate plan, and it utilizes my actual electric rate) and it uses the average gas prices for California, so that's not exact, but should be close.

You're also saving on Oil change, spark plugs, most filters other then cabin filters, replacing brakes less often..

Not sure how "A Tesla in California is no real big savings"... not trying to by flippant, seriously asking?

How can you NOT be saving money with any electric car in California, esp. with gas now nearing $6?? (I've seen gas over $6 in Malibu, and in my area, it's about $5.50/gallon)

View attachment 777068

That is an interesting screen for us to compare...Suprised Tesla App very closely matches my bill 0.09 cents....

IMG_7239.PNG

IMG_8A0DAFFF8371-1.jpeg

Last edited:
You're paying just under 10 cents a kwh, compared to what I'm paying, just over 25 cents a kwh.

However, gas prices in California are way higher, so California Tesla owners are still saving substantial $$$, it seems.

I hear ya but I guess that was my point...crazy what has happened and has nothing to do with current world crisis. It has gone up since then of course. Premium gas has been over $4.00 in the last year.🤔

That "Record High" will have to be update...LOL

E63CECA6-E81F-4E0E-9891-BDCC59E2E37F.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the EV TOU plan in San Diego and do most of my charging at home at super-off peak at $.10 kwh.

Gas is nearly $5.00 at COSTCO and my Tesla app is saying I have saved $151 in the last 6 weeks driving 1,600 miles.

I had a Chevy Bolt before the Tesla and was easily saving $150/month with all the driving I was doing.