Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Tesla owners coming out ahead with gas price increase? May 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems news about gas prices is big now because of some pipe line being shut down in the east coast? I'm not sure how CA is affected but I did recall seeing one gas station in the LA area at $4.60 / gallon, which is the highest I seen, within the last few days of this post. But there is news where its $9 gallon in the east part of the USA.

There are huge lines at gas stations, I didn't see any in So. Cal but I guess its mainly the east coast. Ironic because some people are turned off by Tesla because they think charging takes too long, but then a gas shortage happens they wait in much longer lines. If you can have your own charging at home, which you don't share with the public, I guess its a huge advantage than waiting at a public gas station.

I think those people waiting in long lines at Costco gas stations are wasting time to save like 50 cents per gallon. Most of them drive newer cars like BMW / Mercedes, who likely could afford a Tesla. I know EV's upfront cost is what prevents most people from buying EVs, but what about the people driving $40k cars and waiting at Costco gas stations just to save some money? I think a full charge, which may be equal to a full gas tank, is about $20 in CA?

I like charging at home because I never have to stop at a gas station and most my long commutes from OC to LA / OC to SD can make it back round trip.

It all depends on the price of electricity. If we assume 300wh/mile, at $0.25/kwh, its costing $0.075 per mile. If your favorite Mercedes is getting 25 mi/gallon at $4 a gallon, its costing $0.16 per mile. For me, a full charge is 0.25*75 or $18.75.

As far as saving $0.50 for waiting at Costco, if you are putting 15 gallons in, that's $7.50. Sure, its not a ton of dough, but if hanging out for 10 minutes saves you $7.50, it might be worth it.

But yes, the economics of EV's are getting stronger. Even the upfront cost shouldn't be a dealbreaker anymore. Sure, a brand new SR+ 3 is $40k, but the average new car price in the US is now $40,857. Its mildly amusing that Tesla itself is pushing up that average. In any case, if you exclude 'cheaper' brands the average new car price is MUCH higher than an SR+ 3. Perhaps I should not ignore the cost of installing the outlet or wall connector, because that is a significant upfront cost that wouldn't be figured into the average car price numbers.

$4 per gallon, no maintenance or repairs and over that period of time I saved $40,000
I'd like to see the link for that, because it seems like a stretch. If we assume $40,000/4 = 10,000 is the number of gallons saved, and you paid 0 for your electricity due to solar, you'd still have to have driven in the neighborhood of 250,000 miles over those 7-8 years to use that 10,000 gallons. Its certainly possible to do 30-35k miles per year, but even in a Tesla I wouldn't do it.

As far as saving $0.50 for waiting at Costco, if you are putting 15 gallons in, that's $7.50. Sure, its not a ton of dough, but if hanging out for 10 minutes saves you $7.50, it might be worth it.

I thought those Costco lines were at least 30-45 min or 1 hour. The lines at the Costco in Tustin CA always stretch outside the gas station perimeter onto the adjacent road.

But all the normal full priced gas station nearby have no line and just drive up and pump.

Things are different on this coast, apparently. Neither of the two Costco's nearest me has gas(although one is currently going through the permitting process), so I was using BJ's as a substitute. The longest line I've seen has been maybe 15 minutes, and they frequently have no wait. This might be related to their ~20 individual pumps.

Not if you only have ChargePoint or Blink as options to recharge your vehicle. I still can’t believe Blink is “charging” about $40 to refill a 60kw vehicle with a level 2 charger in Texas.
That's terrible. I sure would not use them just to prove the point of their prices. There is one S/C in the area that has 12 stalls. I'd be using those tesla destination chargers at some of the hotels. Heck, give them some bucks and I'm sure they'd be happy.