Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Teslas stolen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your intuition seems correct. Teslas are less likely to be stolen than other brands, but also very likely to be recovered if they are stolen. The data for this lags a bit, but indicates an advantage for Teslas. One article says:
Apart from these security features, data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s National Crime Information Center have shown that Teslas that actually do get stolen are usually recovered. Between 2011 and May 2018, the National Crime Information Center tracked 115 Tesla thefts, and among this number, an impressive 112 were recovered. An example of this could be seen in a remarkable story involving an attempted theft of a Model S that ended up being involved in a dramatic transatlantic theft and rescue. During the entire duration of the vehicle’s journey all the way to its retrieval, the Model S’ owner was able to monitor the car’s exact location through GPS.​
Tesla's Model S and Model X are nearly 90% less likely to be stolen in the United States

Geography plays a part too.. there was a spate of thefts of teslas in the southeast because they can be stuffed in a container and through the channel tunnel very quickly. As far as I know nobody has managed to steal a car with P2D enabled yet though (They could get a crane and drop it onto a flatbed but difficult to do without someone noticing and it's essentially impossible to protect against that).

Your intuition seems correct. Teslas are less likely to be stolen than other brands, but also very likely to be recovered if they are stolen. The data for this lags a bit, but indicates an advantage for Teslas. One article says:
Apart from these security features, data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s National Crime Information Center have shown that Teslas that actually do get stolen are usually recovered. Between 2011 and May 2018, the National Crime Information Center tracked 115 Tesla thefts, and among this number, an impressive 112 were recovered. An example of this could be seen in a remarkable story involving an attempted theft of a Model S that ended up being involved in a dramatic transatlantic theft and rescue. During the entire duration of the vehicle’s journey all the way to its retrieval, the Model S’ owner was able to monitor the car’s exact location through GPS.​
Tesla's Model S and Model X are nearly 90% less likely to be stolen in the United States
That might be for in the US but my understanding is that here in the UK if your Tesla does get stolen you are very unlikely to see it again. There is a busy market in black market parts for Teslas. The cars are not stolen to be re-sold but broken for parts and, of course, the valuable battery pack. They end up abroad and much of it seems to be sold on eBay.

I am not aware of any Teslas having been stolen with PIN to Drive enabled. But I did hear that some 40-odd Teslas were stolen in the UK in 2018, before PIN to Drive was provided by Tesla. Some Teslas were certainly stolen here last year, usually off people's front drives thanks to passive entry remote key relaying and P2D not enabled. Sophisticated thieves can jam the car's GPS using a very cheap USB-powered gadget that you can buy on eBay.

You have been warned.

A good tip is to use a radio-opaque pouch for your key and to keep your keys in a radio-proof metal box when at home, assuming you keep passive entry on. This should prevent access to your car and protect you if, for some reason, P2D was somehow switched off. Keeping your car plugged in at home may also buy you crucial minutes.

It's a bit different with the Model 3 as it doesn't use the same industry-standard passive-entry and remote key system as the MS and MX but logic suggests P2D is still very desirable and is only a minor inconvenience.

That might be for in the US but my understanding is that here in the UK if your Tesla does get stolen you are very unlikely to see it again. There is a busy market in black market parts for Teslas. The cars are not stolen to be re-sold but broken for parts and, of course, the valuable battery pack. They end up abroad and much of it seems to be sold on eBay.

I am not aware of any Teslas having been stolen with PIN to Drive enabled. But I did hear that some 40-odd Teslas were stolen in the UK in 2018, before PIN to Drive was provided by Tesla. Some Teslas were certainly stolen here last year, usually off people's front drives thanks to passive entry remote key relaying and P2D not enabled. Sophisticated thieves can jam the car's GPS using a very cheap USB-powered gadget that you can buy on eBay.

You have been warned.

A good tip is to use a radio-opaque pouch for your key and to keep your keys in a radio-proof metal box when at home, assuming you keep passive entry on. This should prevent access to your car and protect you if, for some reason, P2D was somehow switched off. Keeping your car plugged in at home may also buy you crucial minutes.

It's a bit different with the Model 3 as it doesn't use the same industry-standard passive-entry and remote key system as the MS and MX but logic suggests P2D is still very desirable and is only a minor inconvenience.
Not sure about latest S & X but the model 3 key fob cannot be accessed by relay attack as it turns off after 5 minutes without movement. My phone is not enabled and the key card really does seem to be very near the car too work. The key fob is quite effective as well as I have had to shake it to let me in the car in the morning!

Reactions: vitesse
Not sure about latest S & X but the model 3 key fob cannot be accessed by relay attack as it turns off after 5 minutes without movement. My phone is not enabled and the key card really does seem to be very near the car too work. The key fob is quite effective as well as I have had to shake it to let me in the car in the morning!

I did not know this, I really wanted the key fob but I dismissed it due to Key Relay.

I wouldn't want it returned if it was stolen. Friend had his brand new Audi TT nicked and insurance wanted to wait a few weeks before settling, police found it 2 weeks later and it was returned to him, insurance happy to close the claim. The car was a mess though, interior disgusting, gearbox rattling every gear, clutch was knackered. Basically had been joy-ridden for 2 weeks. If mine gets nicked, I'd rather it got replaced.

that’s nothing to do with Tesla so a bit pointless.

the model S/X used to get stolen but not heard about any 3s
How do you know that particular gang weren't targetting Teslas amongst other brands?
Model S (especially) relay attacks have been an issue. Agree that Model 3 isn't so much of a problem (yet).
You can't rely on the built-in tracker BTW. Once the SIM is removed it's disabled.

I wouldn't want it returned if it was stolen. Friend had his brand new Audi TT nicked and insurance wanted to wait a few weeks before settling, police found it 2 weeks later and it was returned to him, insurance happy to close the claim. The car was a mess though, interior disgusting, gearbox rattling every gear, clutch was knackered. Basically had been joy-ridden for 2 weeks. If mine gets nicked, I'd rather it got replaced.
No gearbox in Teslas :D

• Funny
Reactions: Maz0
I would use pin to drive when the car isn't outside my house.

If someone is going to break into my house I'd rather they just take the car and go. Don't fancy an altercation.

(For a company car!)

I would use pin to drive when the car isn't outside my house.

If someone is going to break into my house I'd rather they just take the car and go. Don't fancy an altercation.

(For a company car!)

There isn't much evidence that houses are broken into (though it has been reported - though not for a Tesla theft that I have heard of).

I'd like passive entry to be automatically disabled at home - should be easily attainable. It's a security risk at home but much less so when you are away from home and it's genuinely handy.

There isn't much evidence that houses are broken into (though it has been reported - though not for a Tesla theft that I have heard of).

I'd like passive entry to be automatically disabled at home - should be easily attainable. It's a security risk at home but much less so when you are away from home and it's genuinely handy.
You hear about the odd smash the window grab the keys from the hall or fish them though the letterbox case. Not sure we have reached the level of breaking in and threatening the owner for their pin yet. On a risk reward basis its probably not worth the effort /risk to most thieves