Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the key cards for Model 3 waterproof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was that video of the guy who dissolved the card in acetone (?) and was left with a little chip and wire-loop antenna. You could have that surgically implanted in the back of your hand and then unlock your car with your hand. ;)

I'm contemplating taking a key card apart in that manner and then embedding it in a watch strap or something. I find that my car takes five or ten seconds to unlock after I reach it, which is annoying. (I have a OnePlus 5t running LineageOS 15.1.)

good question....if I leave my cell phone in the car and surf with my key card, will the car lock?

also,....it would be great if the key card was smaller, so it could fit in a magnetic case to hide under my car when I do surf.....not so easy to store the card in a wet suit....
One of those armbands people use for phones while running? Better yet, try to find one with a band long enough to strap to your leg inside the wetsuit? I'm more concerned with figuring out how to keep it securely in boardshorts so that it doesn't fall out if the zipper pocket comes open, or turn at a right angle and stab me as my leg comes into contact with the surfboard.

They certainly appear to be sealed but I guess you already knew that. However if a shark eats your card while you're surfing and they are waterproof (the card not the shark) then the shark can dive away with your Model 3 leaving you stranded (high nd dry). Be careful now, 'cause sharks frequent this forum, I've seen them.
Not thinking you're making jokes about a profession that's probably well represented here

Reactions: Austindude
good question....if I leave my cell phone in the car and surf with my key card, will the car lock?

also,....it would be great if the key card was smaller, so it could fit in a magnetic case to hide under my car when I do surf.....not so easy to store the card in a wet suit....

Turn bluetooth off on the phone, then lock with the card as you walk away.

Just don't lose the card!

I know I'm replying to a pair of very old posts...

Once I accidentally locked myself out of my Model 3. I got my friend to download the Tesla app onto his phone, then I signed in to my account and told it to unlock the car. It asked me to confirm, which I did, and the car unlocked. I then signed out of the app on my friend's phone, and told him he could delete the app.

Just don't forget your password.

Old thread but I thought I could add some value to the comments already here.

My Model 3 is my dive vehicle. I do use it for other things but >90% of the time I drive it to and from diving.

I almost always dive with a drysuit and my undergarment has a perfect sized pocket on my right upper arm and I out the keycard in there. I have a couple of times dived with a different undergarment that didn't have the pocket and the keycard went into the pocket of my drysuit (i.e. on the outside). I have also done a couple of dives in my wetsuit and the card went in the pocket. I had no problems with it getting wet. My only fear was losing it.

I always switch my phone off and not just disable bluetooth. Bluetooth can be enabled and disabled without unlocking the phone so if someone was able to get into the car, find the phone and enable Bluetooth that MIGHT be able to drive away. So.. the phone goes off and I can't drive away until I have at least entered the passcode into my phone.

I have Walk-away Lock enabled. The boot is usually the last thing I close before going for my dive. For a long time the car would automatically lock a short time after I closed the boot. In a software update a few months ago the behaviour changed a bit. Now when I switch off my phone, I get a message telling me that Walk-away Lock is disabled. Despite the message, 9 times out of 10 it will lock a short time after I close the boot. The other time I have to lock manually by leaning on the door pillar.

I did once forget to put the keycard in my undergarment and didn't realise until after the dive. Fortunately, I was not diving solo on that dive and borrowed my dive buddies phone to call my wife to remotely unlock the car.