Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the premium upgrades worth $5,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the literal answer is that the PUP is not "worth it," at least not to me. But the hardest piece for me to give up would be the cold weather package. I use the heated steering wheel often in the cold weather (already used it once in the past few days as fall turns chilly here), and my elderly mother loves the heated rear seats when she rides there. Since I have lived here all my life and never had heated steering wheel before, i can live without it, but I would also worry about the lack of heated washer nozzles. (My previous several cars had heated washer nozzles, hoses and fluid tank as standard equipment, so it seems chintzy of Tesla to make us pay $5000 to get those features.)
The other overpriced package (not that you asked) is the autopilot, in my view. I feel no particular need for functionality beyond what AP1 provides, and to get that would cost a lot more than AP1 did when i bought it. between the two, that is $10,000 added to the price of the car -- a pretty big whack if one is only interested in a portion of what is in those option packages. Another reason to hang onto my 2015 car when the lease runs out, I think...
the heated seats and steering wheel lessen the need to use the cabin heater, using the heater eats a lot of your range while the seats use a minimal amount of energy to keep you warm.

I bought it and do not regret it, enjoy the heating steering wheel when needed, HEPA Filter, and enjoy the upgraded audio, which I will just assume is much better that the non-upgraded audio package.. :)

I went back and forth on it as well, and ultimately bought it... My bad logic was "Well I'm buying a luxury, expensive car, why not get the extra heated everything, Bio Weapon defense mode, and upgraded audio".

Good luck with the decision!! :)

Heated steering wheel is so cozy. I just wish there was a quick way to turn it on w/o having to go thru the MCU. Rear seat heat, not a big deal for me :) Kids are still in boosters and have a towel down too so..., bioweapon defense mode, handy to eliminate..uhm...lets just say gaseous expulsions, or after you find yourself eating a fast food lunch at a destination charger, or when your wife has you pickup Papa John's pizza. I find my standard sound system to be good enough to me but have considered 3rd party upgrades.

Is the bioweapon defense icon there when you add the filter yourself? Or does that button adjust the air flow in ways that you can't do without the option?

Value to me of each item:

Leather seats - $1K
Winter package - $1K
Audio - $1K
HEPA/biohazard - $1K

Value of having the above items altogether and not having to screw around after the puchase wasting my time adding leather and audio and HEPA: - $5K all by itself.

Reactions: thatisug
Heated steering wheel is surprisingly nice. I never thought I would care, I got winter package on my first Tesla because I knew that without a fiery engine under the hood, the heated windshield washer nozzles and wipers will be more helpful than on a ICE car. The rear heated seats turned out a hit with the kids and some others. There was no heated steering wheel back then. My second Tesla's winter package came with the heated steering wheel, and that's when I discovered that it's awesome! I don't use it often, but when I do I love it. While I'm glad the winter package was available separately for all our 3 cars, I still didn't avoid the PUP on the third one because the power tailgate was something I was used to and not willing to let it go, but a year ago it was only available with PUP. Over time, PUP price went from $3K to $3.5K to $5K. Today, the only thing I would care about in PUP is the winter package, but it would be rather painful to swallow the $5K price tag. With the Model 3 and Model S differentiation as high end car, PUP simply includes all the options, so you either get a base or premium. I wouldn't be surprised if PUP went to $8K in the future and started including the leather seats/interior. For those who think this is far-fetched, remember that leather seats and decor and headliner used to be separate options too even a year ago, today they are all bundled together. P100D already includes PUP and your choice of interior, so it already is a bundle - if you want top performance, you get all the options.

Value to me of each item:

Leather seats - $1K
Winter package - $1K
Audio - $1K
HEPA/biohazard - $1K

Value of having the above items altogether and not having to screw around after the puchase wasting my time adding leather and audio and HEPA: - $5K all by itself.
The package has since changed -- the seats are now separate ($3K) which include the headliner and other things.

I think the general consensus is that if you're in a generally cold location, you might love the heated backseats and steering wheel which would be hard and inefficient to try and do after the fact, so today's PUP is worth it. The other stuff is nominal (audio and HEPA) and can be done afterwards for a far better value if not.

I agree with getting PUP solely for the fact of having heated steering wheel and seats if you live in a cold climate area. My previous car had heated seats but I really wished it had heated steering wheel too. Using it now as the weather is getting chilly, I see it as an invaluable feature.

Simplest yes, cheapest not necessarily. In the past when I shopped, all inventory cars were more expensive than what I got the new custom one built for, mostly because they included stuff I didn't want (like FSD, or pano).

Couple of thoughts on that...

For inventory cars, at least according to my OA, you can request that they disable FSD or EAP if you don't want them and will save on that option. That said, especially since they are including so much as standard now, I agree that inventory cars aren't really cheaper than custom. The main benefit is the quicker delivery. If you find one with miles you'll get an adjustment off of new, but otherwise most of the adjustments are to counter-balance the changes in what comes standard.

For inventory cars, at least according to my OA, you can request that they disable FSD or EAP if you don't want them and will save on that option. That said, especially since they are including so much as standard now, I agree that inventory cars aren't really cheaper than custom. The main benefit is the quicker delivery. If you find one with miles you'll get an adjustment off of new, but otherwise most of the adjustments are to counter-balance the changes in what comes standard.

You can also get an adjustment for options that are now standard, such as power liftgate and air suspension.

For inventory cars, at least according to my OA, you can request that they disable FSD or EAP if you don't want them and will save on that option.
That was not officially possible last time I was buying a year ago. I was told no removing EAP, FSD or downgrading a 75 to 60 on inventory cars. Some people got it done, but apparently it took a lot of arm twisting and happened very close to the end of December.

You can also get an adjustment for options that are now standard, such as power liftgate and air suspension.
I wonder if they adjust for things that are not explicitly features, like AP2.0 instead of AP2.5.

That was not officially possible last time I was buying a year ago. I was told no removing EAP, FSD or downgrading a 75 to 60 on inventory cars. Some people got it done, but apparently it took a lot of arm twisting and happened very close to the end of December.

If you find a car and want to try, I'd be happy to refer someone to my OA. He seems willing to try stuff :)

I wonder if they adjust for things that are not explicitly features, like AP2.0 instead of AP2.5.

During my research, I found no indication they adjusted for 2.0 vs 2.5. It was mostly the changes in PUP and SAS. And they seem to value D at $3800. In other words, an inventory 75 configured the same as a new 75D is $3800 less.

That might be a tough sell, but it never hurts to ask!!

Can you downgrade a P100D to a 40 kw?
Probably not!
Some of you might not be aware that Tesla did make a 40 kw battery but discontinued it due to poor sales!
P100D vs S40 were significantly different hardware platforms (completely different batteries, completely different motors (and 2 vs. 1), some 40's didn't even have supercharging hardware). S75D and S60D on the other hand are identical hardware, the downgrade is a software switch, just like EAP or FSD. You can upgrade 60->75 in about 10 minutes over the air, not at all possible to upgrade S40 to P100D in the same fashion.