Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are there any heads up displays that show nags so you don’t have to (unsafely) look down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find having to look down to monitor nags so you won’t be disconnected to be unsafe. Either a heads up indicator or audio signal would be better. I’m a pilot, and you have to do so much scanning that things are (in the best planes) arranged to accommodate that safely. I really don’t understand Tesla’s strategy on nags. Put a nag indicator up in your field of view of the road, where your attention is supposed to be.

Last edited:
hansshow has a display unit that will. go. above your steering wheel. although not sure if it will display fsd nag info. one of fhe screen does show autopilot visuals. maybe you can ask in their sales chat if nag info shows up. i got the yoke steering wheel from them last year and i am super satisfied with their product. this heads up display was on my list next. also installed their tilt screen which also aids creating the cockpit feel.

I find having to look down to monitor nags so you won’t be disconnected to be unsafe. Either a heads up indicator or audio signal would be better. I’m a pilot, and you have to do so much scanning that things are (in the best planes) arranged to accommodate that safely. I really don’t understand Tesla’s strategy on nags. Put a nag indicator up in your field of view of the road, where your attention is supposed to be.
I use one of the original aftermarket displays, the dual-round display sometimes called "Mickey Mouse ears". This unit is not a rectangular tablet, it's got reasonable display area but not huge and sits on the steering column. The left side of the display shows autopilot status and immediately shows a large bolt steering wheel plus hands icon when the nag happens.

I should note, however, that so far there hasn't been an update to account for the 2023 FSD beta changes where the following distance of 2-10 was replaced by a three step Chill/Average/Assertive setting. So for now, it just shows the following distance fixed at the last stored value (4 for me) and the right scroll wheel adjustment has no effect. I expected this because the software is developed in China and they don't have FSD beta yet. As you use standard autopilot, everything will be correct. In either case, he big nag indication shows up as you want, right there in front.

I like the aesthetics of this display, but it's an instrument cluster display only; no touch screen, carplay or Android auto or any of that. You should survey the many available options now.
Playlist of Shiva Sapkota instrument cluster reviews:

Last edited:
Reactions: melmalinowski
I find having to look down to monitor nags so you won’t be disconnected to be unsafe.
Apply constant torque to the wheel and you won't be nagged to apply constant torque to the wheel. The system is not designed to be hands free with a fun game of Nag Whack-a-Mole. It is designed to have you pay attention to the road while applying that torque. Just do that. It doesn't cost a penny.

Apply constant torque to the wheel and you won't be nagged to apply constant torque to the wheel. The system is not designed to be hands free with a fun game of Nag Whack-a-Mole. It is designed to have you pay attention to the road while applying that torque. Just do that. It doesn't cost a penny.

I've got much better at this over the past 12 months but even yesterday spotted the message and blue flashes. Wasn't doing a thing different than I had for the previous 20km.

Has the 'last second' audio warning for steering wheel feedback been removed? (I can't remember if that was a change about a year ago or not, I do remember fearing it would be taken away because up until then, my warnings were frequent because I hadn't mastered one-handed driving, and was still balancing the torque by having my two hands on the wheel AS ILLUSTRATED.)

Edited: Ooooh, it has, as *I* noted in this post:

've got much better at this over the past 12 months but even yesterday spotted the message and blue flashes. Wasn't doing a thing different than I had for the previous 20km.
I grant you that the system has gotten pretty unstable. I get beeps and boops all the time with 11.4.8. I just keep doing The Right Thing per the system's requirements and let the alarms do whatever they're going to do. I very rarely stray into blue screen territory and my only strike was long ago when I first got the system.

Let's hope that V12 will have a better implementation.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I grant you that the system has gotten pretty unstable. I get beeps and boops all the time with 11.4.8. I just keep doing The Right Thing per the system's requirements and let the alarms do whatever they're going to do. I very rarely stray into blue screen territory and my only strike was long ago when I first got the system.

Let's hope that V12 will have a better implementation.
Rumour has it that V12 doesn't allow scroll wheel dismissals of the warning. Which will be a pain since if a mild tug doesn't dismiss, I move to scroll wheel adjustment rather than risk pulling the car to one side of the lane.

Rumour has it that V12 doesn't allow scroll wheel dismissals of the warning. Which will be a pain since if a mild tug doesn't dismiss, I move to scroll wheel adjustment rather than risk pulling the car to one side of the lane.
Indeed, V12 does not honor the scroll wheels. Apparently, Tesla got wind of yet another cheat device being used. So you can thank the folks using the cheat for removing that ability. You'll have to figure out how to apply that constant torque with a light touch. When you do, your experience with FSD will be transformed.

You'll have to figure out how to apply that constant torque with a light touch. When you do, your experience with FSD will be transformed.
As I have reported elsewhere, ever since the holiday update, constant torque no longer works on my 2018 m3. It now requires alternating torque direction. My 2019 mx, however, still works fine. So, if you get nags that won’t go away with even more force, try reversing direction.

As I have reported elsewhere, ever since the holiday update, constant torque no longer works on my 2018 m3. It now requires alternating torque direction. My 2019 mx, however, still works fine. So, if you get nags that won’t go away with even more force, try reversing direction.
I have noticed some interesting behavior on my MY with basic AP. In the daytime, I can easily keep the nag at bay with pretty much constant torque on the wheel or a slight tug every now and then, just as it's been for a long time. However, at night, the nag comes out with a vengeance. Constant torque in one direction is not acceptable. I must alternate torque often. And, it seems to want a higher torque than in the daytime. It is definitely more strict at night.

I don't recall having the same issue with my FSD car.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
I have noticed some interesting behavior on my MY with basic AP. In the daytime, I can easily keep the nag at bay with pretty much constant torque on the wheel or a slight tug every now and then, just as it's been for a long time. However, at night, the nag comes out with a vengeance. Constant torque in one direction is not acceptable. I must alternate torque often. And, it seems to want a higher torque than in the daytime. It is definitely more strict at night.

As an experiment, try setting your screen to daylight mode and lower the brightness a bit, then see if the nags change.

Reactions: JHCCAZ

There is a theory this is caused by the camera not being able to see your eyes. Some have reported improvement by turning up the brightness on their monitors. I haven't updated to haven't had this problem yet, but am concerned that will cause me more problems with being able to see as I'm already bothered by the halo-ing of traffic and street lights, and wonder if adding more light inside the car will make seeing worse at night (it might help if my pupils are more dilated, so I'll just have to see when the updates finally accepted.)