Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are These Build Flaws Worth Mentioning to Adviser?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been meaning to post this.
Picked up my Model 3 recently and the delivery process was great. I looked over the vehicle briefly at the shop and it looked fine. Looked at the main places, curb rash, any paint chips, paint damage, etc. I got home and looked at it more carefully and realized there were a couple of flaws. Trying to figure out if these are "within spec" or if you guys would take it in.
  1. The rear doors are not evenly flush. One side is high, the other is low. I read about this among Model 3 owners.
  2. Scratches on the shifter
  3. These unstiched parts on my rear doors. Again, I can't tell if this is normal if its a bad stitching job.
Hope you guys can help, bummed that a 50K+ car would have these small issues.
Do you guys just bring it in for service to fix these flaws or do you guys first email the delivery center so they can note these down on the file? I just don't want to wait too long where they start thinking I was the one who did the damage.

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

I think its not the door but the trim that's misaligned. For sure I would bring that up because its an easy fix. While they are doing that they can properly set those seals as well. The shifter is your call. I probably wouldn't bother but it is legitimately scratched.

Your car is beautiful! You have not seen my Honda! after 4 years paint peeled off but it was not under warranty anymore, wheel bearings had to be replaced but the warranty was over by that time, seats' leather falls apart but the warranty is over by now.... You haven't seen my Acura! Panels are misaligned, trim is misaligned, the door handle is squeaking ...

The only think I would be really serious about in your case is the leather stitching on the wheel (if that's what I see in Image #5). … or, I see, you worry about scratches on the shifter.... that's your call.
The inner trim can be mentioned and fixed by them or by you in a minute. The outer trim … I'd say it is within tolerance limits whatever they are.

Your car is beautiful! You have not seen my Honda! after 4 years paint peeled off but it was not under warranty anymore, wheel bearings had to be replaced but the warranty was over by that time, seats' leather falls apart but the warranty is over by now.... You haven't seen my Acura! Panels are misaligned, trim is misaligned, the door handle is squeaking ...

The only think I would be really serious about in your case is the leather stitching on the wheel (if that's what I see in Image #5). … or, I see, you worry about scratches on the shifter.... that's your call.
The inner trim can be mentioned and fixed by them or by you in a minute. The outer trim … I'd say it is within tolerance limits whatever they are.

That outer trim is bad and its an easy fix. They should totally have caught that before delivery. I would have no problem pointing that out for repair.

I would get one of these and call it a day.

560.jpg

Within Tolerance (White) Products from SquidRage Store | Teespring

Mine had sloppy chrome trim and weatherstripping too.

The trim is a simple friction fit. It took me 10 seconds and careful application of light pressure to get it perfectly in place. I would never spend the time to schedule an appointment and drive to the service center for trim problems like that.

It’s not nice to experience this with a $50k car but it’s so easy to fix that I wouldn’t sweat it.

The weatherstripping is fairly “ugly” to begin with. It’s easy to massage wrinkles out but it will never look as great as from a Porsche or BMW.

From your pictures, the only “difficult” non-DIY fix is the mode selector.

All of those issues would bother me.. and i would have no problem pointing them out to them to be fixed. You spent money...you deserve to be satisfied. good luck and let us know what happens. im waiting on delivery myself- so ill keep my fingers crossed for no flaws