Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these hard water spots or windshield defects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 month old car. Never driven in rain at night until few days ago. Noticed these spots after wipers go over the windshield. Makes driving really hard at night in rain. Notice that there are other spots and horizontal and vertical lines as well. I’ve tried invisible glass product and that didn’t help. Any tips on how to remove them if these aren’t defects in the windshield.

Attachments

• B77FC87B-36D3-4384-922C-3478E52355D1.jpeg
    B77FC87B-36D3-4384-922C-3478E52355D1.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 1,582
I ended up with water spots that were very hard to remove. I was next to a grass island in a parking lot (no dings on one side), and the sprinklers came on briefly.

Not sure what kind of recycled refuse water it was, but it was a bear to get out. But it did come out with 70% isopropyl alcohol and lots of rubbing.

I ended up with water spots that were very hard to remove. I was next to a grass island in a parking lot (no dings on one side), and the sprinklers came on briefly.

Not sure what kind of recycled refuse water it was, but it was a bear to get out. But it did come out with 70% isopropyl alcohol and lots of rubbing.
So you think that these are water spots? How about the horizontal and vertical lines? I can give isopropyl alcohol a shot in few days.

So you think that these are water spots? How about the horizontal and vertical lines? I can give isopropyl alcohol a shot in few days.

I don't really know for sure. I was just shocked at how hard the spots were to get out from the sprinklers. I'm assuming some sort of non-potable waste water reuse. It's pretty common these days and it would be *possible* to get wind drifted water even when driving. So, I thought I would throw it out there as an option.

2 month old car. Never driven in rain at night until few days ago. Noticed these spots after wipers go over the windshield. Makes driving really hard at night in rain. Notice that there are other spots and horizontal and vertical lines as well. I’ve tried invisible glass product and that didn’t help. Any tips on how to remove them if these aren’t defects in the windshield.

I had them from the factory too. Clean it with any over the counter car window hard water spot remover than has a mild abrasive made for windows.

I use Stoners Invisible Glass Water Spot Remover. Check your local Pep Boys. Use a quality lint free paper product. Scott Rags in A Box works well. Follow up with any other residue free window cleaner to remove all traces of the spot remover.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
Hard water spots are the minerals in the tap or hard water left behind as water drops evaporate . These can bond to paint or glass, coated or not. The above mentioned product or MDR ( Mineral Deposit Remover) from Optimum will work. I can only speak for MDR as far as instructions go. Clean the window and apply the MDR with a towel and rub it in, keep agitating it, not letting it dry. This is a very light acid which will break down the mineral deposits. It does take a little bit of elbow grease, but they will come off. Interesting fact, these mineral deposits can actually etch into the paint of a car if left on for long periods of time.

Am I nuts? I just run a polisher using Chemical Guys 36 polish, and it cleans the glass right up. I do NOT do that on my Tesla, because it has been sealed with Opti-Coat, but for my other cars with no aftermarket sealing, the polish shines it right up, then I wax the glass with a premium polymer wax. I use Opti-Coat Glass for cleaning regularly.

Regarding paint, I have PPF and OptiCoat Ceramic on it, and got some salt water on it that sat for 2 days. It permanently scored the ceramic coating, it won't come off. I did not want to use alcohol on it, so I tried vinegar, but no dice. I think it is etched in. Ideas?

Am I nuts? I just run a polisher using Chemical Guys 36 polish, and it cleans the glass right up. I do NOT do that on my Tesla, because it has been sealed with Opti-Coat, but for my other cars with no aftermarket sealing, the polish shines it right up, then I wax the glass with a premium polymer wax. I use Opti-Coat Glass for cleaning regularly.

Regarding paint, I have PPF and OptiCoat Ceramic on it, and got some salt water on it that sat for 2 days. It permanently scored the ceramic coating, it won't come off. I did not want to use alcohol on it, so I tried vinegar, but no dice. I think it is etched in. Ideas?

This is where a product like MDR will chemically loosen and remove a water spot. They sit on top of a coating and do not go through to etch the paint. The problem that I see happen when you mechanically remove a water spot from paint, without chemically removing it mostly first, is the paint can swell from the heat created and essentially hide the water spot. Then as the paint cools the same water spot can reappear. I see this happen a lot in bodyshops with wet sanding marks. If the car is coated, compound and polish will remove the coating. It is only removed via abrasion. So using a water spot remover first is the key. I would be happy to elaborate further for you, or offer you assistance on the phone 619-952-4814. Alternatively your installer can handle the issue. The best part is that paint under the coating is protected!!!

Hard water stains. Streaks are from the blades dragging moisture across. My blades have done that for 2 1/2 years. If I let the water dry on my car they will look like your hard water stains. Not an uncommon thing.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit