Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are these issues within spec and/or found on your model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model Y on this past Friday the 26th, inspected thoroughly with the rep, had them note the issues then brought it in for a service appointment 2 days ago on Monday to (hopefully) fix the issues. Just received it back this evening with partial success. They did manage to fix the rattle in the trunk, bumper alignment where many corners were sticking out, and the interior panel cover for the passenger side b pillar that was essentially not attached at all.

But for these other issues would other owners mind telling me if they are also seeing these issue and if they are worth another appointment to fix or if they're going to be called "within spec"?

Miss aligned rear seats (those stains on the seats are from the service guys, my dog got a ride in the car over the weekend hence hairs):
z7arDR8.jpg

Small tears in the seals on the frame around the door (I counted 10 of these across all 4 doors while only checking the top section, they are easily revealed when you pull on the seal):
8tB7e18.jpg

Door seals are not consistently installed, first picture on passenger side, second on driver side:
pYVHVK5.jpg

wQg7ZKe.jpg

Trim of passenger side front wheel well seems like it is not tightened down enough (there are visible gaps on the other 3 but not quite as large):
0xR7gk0.jpg

Alignment of trim corner at front passenger side seems poor:
zLbE1gi.jpg

Rear quarter panel / rear bumper gap seems larger than anywhere else, can see bracket behind gap:
WZR1tTq.jpg

Door seal on door is coming unglued on read driver side and front passenger side. I can stick it back on with my hand but worried it won't stay:
i8WPHFb.jpg

z9jO2GG.jpg

How badly does my charger door alignment compare to yours? Delivery rep said it was checked and within spec but I made him note it down anyways. I'm not sure if they adjusted it or not in my service appointment since I haven't received the report yet.
IFmH7MU.jpg

10QII5W.jpg

CyYCNFU.jpg

NgiIsY3.jpg

Is this typical alignment for headlights?
xZv9Cya.jpg
4xUU3ti.jpg
oAju95Y.jpg
0B1ceQH.jpg
M6sljNI.jpg

Is the rubber lip supposed to be under or over the door seal on the frame?
cIz50tD.jpg

Does your headliner have this flex? Mine has it on both sides but I wasn't sure if that was within spec.
https://i.imgur.com/SuMy0nm.mp4

You can just barely see in this photo that the left glass roof corner is not perfectly flush with the hatchback windshield, there's a little of this at each corner, I am going to guess this is consider "within spec" if it doesn't leak.
zIGMCoz.jpg

Thanks for you time! I want to say that I love the car the fit and finish issue notwithstanding :)

Next need to give it a car wash to test for leaks and test it on a super charger.

I've seen a lot of Teslas with the front fender corner not fully seated, like yours. Frankly, with all the flaws you're showing us, I wouldn't have accepted delivery.

You're still within the 7 day return window, so you can return the car (does the 100 mile limit apply to returns within 7 days?).

Seems like there are a number of owners being told flaws are "within spec" lately. I think the charge port door is a very typical spot for poor fitment. Some owners have reported SC replacing the door, and I think there are owners told that their misfitting door is within spec. I'm just going by memory though.

Out of all those I would have a problem with everything except the headlight positioning. Hot button ones for me would be the seals and headliner give. While I do not except charger door to be completely perfect, I feel like yours is a bit too far out. Most teslas I see the door is flush.

Same here, got delivery (you can not see the car before you accept delivery here in Austin, TX). I saw and logged 29 issues - SC did not want to write anything, just asked me to report problems in the application. Service in Austin was ... well, there was no service actually, they just showed 0 interest and asked me to get the car and drive... I have 7 days, 1000miles option to return it and I feel like I may do that if they will not explain to me that they can indeed fix some of these problems.

I attached just a few pictures. Frunk black plastics (there are 2 of them when you open a trunk) were not attached to each other (there are clips but all of them were broken). When I opened the trunk they just were laying there w/o any support. They do not have a QC as you can not miss flying plastics in the frunk, really can't.

As for motor, battery, computer - all is good, as usual with Tesla. The dynamics are great. I actually almost do not see any major paint issues that others reported.

Tesla seems to be incapable to do the right car finish - they have a great technology platform, and in IMHO they should sell this as a service to all automakers that will do their cars based on Tesla platform. We all, including Tesla, will earn from this.

IMG_20200701_143721.jpg
IMG_20200701_144349.jpg
IMG_20200701_145316_Bokeh.jpg
IMG_20200701_145627_Bokeh.jpg
IMG_20200702_072601.jpg
IMG_20200702_072652.jpg
IMG_20200701_143729.jpg
IMG_20200701_144410.jpg
IMG_20200701_143721.jpg
IMG_20200701_144349.jpg
IMG_20200701_145316_Bokeh.jpg
IMG_20200701_145627_Bokeh.jpg
IMG_20200702_072601.jpg
IMG_20200702_072652.jpg
IMG_20200701_143729.jpg
IMG_20200701_144410.jpg

Last edited:
In the hatch seal pic you posted, it is obvious to me that the car was re-painted, too. You can see the tape line, and the clear mis-match of white from the outside to the inside of the hatch area. IMO, I would return the car. The bubbles in the paint above the wheel well is also very disconcerting. Something very wrong is going on under that paint, and for a new car, that is beyond unacceptable. I rejected my first MY, and my 2nd delivery was orders of magnitude better in terms of paint quality.

I took delivery of my Model Y on this past Friday the 26th, inspected thoroughly with the rep, had them note the issues then brought it in for a service appointment 2 days ago on Monday to (hopefully) fix the issues. Just received it back this evening with partial success. They did manage to fix the rattle in the trunk, bumper alignment where many corners were sticking out, and the interior panel cover for the passenger side b pillar that was essentially not attached at all.

But for these other issues would other owners mind telling me if they are also seeing these issue and if they are worth another appointment to fix or if they're going to be called "within spec"?

Miss aligned rear seats (those stains on the seats are from the service guys, my dog got a ride in the car over the weekend hence hairs):
z7arDR8.jpg

Small tears in the seals on the frame around the door (I counted 10 of these across all 4 doors while only checking the top section, they are easily revealed when you pull on the seal):
8tB7e18.jpg

Door seals are not consistently installed, first picture on passenger side, second on driver side:
pYVHVK5.jpg

wQg7ZKe.jpg

Trim of passenger side front wheel well seems like it is not tightened down enough (there are visible gaps on the other 3 but not quite as large):
0xR7gk0.jpg

Alignment of trim corner at front passenger side seems poor:
zLbE1gi.jpg

Rear quarter panel / rear bumper gap seems larger than anywhere else, can see bracket behind gap:
WZR1tTq.jpg

Door seal on door is coming unglued on read driver side and front passenger side. I can stick it back on with my hand but worried it won't stay:
i8WPHFb.jpg

z9jO2GG.jpg

How badly does my charger door alignment compare to yours? Delivery rep said it was checked and within spec but I made him note it down anyways. I'm not sure if they adjusted it or not in my service appointment since I haven't received the report yet.
IFmH7MU.jpg

10QII5W.jpg

CyYCNFU.jpg

NgiIsY3.jpg

Is this typical alignment for headlights?
xZv9Cya.jpg
4xUU3ti.jpg
oAju95Y.jpg
0B1ceQH.jpg
M6sljNI.jpg

Is the rubber lip supposed to be under or over the door seal on the frame?
cIz50tD.jpg

Does your headliner have this flex? Mine has it on both sides but I wasn't sure if that was within spec.
https://i.imgur.com/SuMy0nm.mp4

You can just barely see in this photo that the left glass roof corner is not perfectly flush with the hatchback windshield, there's a little of this at each corner, I am going to guess this is consider "within spec" if it doesn't leak.
zIGMCoz.jpg

Thanks for you time! I want to say that I love the car the fit and finish issue notwithstanding :)

Next need to give it a car wash to test for leaks and test it on a super charger.

Comparing to mine, seats are also misaligned SC told me on Tuesday when I dropped it off to just changed position of the seat and they will line up. Told them that is not a solution since this is a defect, the default positioning of the seats are out of alignment, he continued to debate me on the subject. What a guy. They told me (Fremont SC) that there is currently no bulletin on the alignment issue, I don't believe them. Will probably try another SC in the area in a few weeks, or bring it up again with Fremont SC

Seals with the slits look normal, I don't know the reasoning behind having the slits but the seems deliberate and consistent so I never asked.
Have the same protrusion on the fender/headlight area, first SC visit they told me nothing they can do (Dublin SC - no bulletin etc), 2nd SC visit (Fremont) said they have a fix. In the shop right now we will see if they "fix" it.

Charge port door looks like mine when I initially picked up the car, first SC visit brought it in more by replacing the door, still not flush though.

Headlight alignment with body looks similar to mine, I inquired about it on this 2nd SC visit, they said they will look into it.
My headliner does not flex that much, there is some give though.

Hatch glass is being replaced today, SC had their glass guy give it a look and he said it needed to be replaced, doesnt hurt to put in the ticket now and see what the say, your hatch glass does not look as bad others i've seen.

This is exactly why we rejected delivery. I wanted to drive home in my MY so bad on the close of the quarter, but SC would not agree to fix the misaligned front passenger quarter panel (protruding right below headlight like a picture I saw above and the headlights protruding way too much for our tastes. I feel like the front passenger quarter panel could've been fixed if they removed the whole piece, and repositioned it better. But maybe that's just me.

Waiting for them to remove the rejected VIN and hoping for a new one in a timely manner as we are short one car now.

I have many of the same issues that you called out: headlight misalignment, back windshield/hatchback gap, some taillight misalignments, rear quarter/bumper gap (I can also see the brackets, just on one side). Surprisingly, the charge port was not an issue for me, it was flush enough for me not to notice it. Mine has been with service since yesterday and I should be getting it back today so I'll keep you posted on what they can fix and what was "within spec". I'm within the 7 day window so if they can't fix the majority, it's being returned!

Same here, got delivery (you can not see the car before you accept delivery here in Austin, TX). I saw and logged 29 issues - SC did not want to write anything, just asked me to report problems in the application. Service in Austin was ... well, there was no service actually, they just showed 0 interest and asked me to get the car and drive... I have 7 days, 1000miles option to return it and I feel like I may do that if they will not explain to me that they can indeed fix some of these problems.

I attached just a few pictures. Frunk black plastics (there are 2 of them when you open a trunk) were not attached to each other (there are clips but all of them were broken). When I opened the trunk they just were laying there w/o any support. They do not have a QC as you can not miss flying plastics in the frunk, really can't.

As for motor, battery, computer - all is good, as usual with Tesla. The dynamics are great. I actually almost do not see any major paint issues that others reported.

Tesla seems to be incapable to do the right car finish - they have a great technology platform, and in IMHO they should sell this as a service to all automakers that will do their cars based on Tesla platform. We all, including Tesla, will earn from this.

View attachment 559558 View attachment 559560 View attachment 559562 View attachment 559563 View attachment 559564 View attachment 559565 View attachment 559566 View attachment 559567 View attachment 559558 View attachment 559560 View attachment 559562 View attachment 559563 View attachment 559564 View attachment 559565 View attachment 559566 View attachment 559567

Good luck. I just picked up my Model Y from the Austin service center today, and was told my noted issues were "within spec". My car sat longer waiting in line there for days to be serviced than the time spent servicing it, which was about 3 hours. There are too many cars in service for them to care. If you do decide to keep it, make sure you opt out of the forced arbitration clause inside the purchase agreement within 30 days so if you needed to sue them, you can.

OP, what is your build date and VIN?

I certainly hope you get all of the many issues you encountered fixed to your satisfaction. Seems like almost all Tesla owners love their cars in spite of these flaws but it seems to me that we should get better after shelling out 60K+.

I cancelled my order in May and am retrying later this year in hope that fit and finish and QC will have improved after frantic Q2 production push.

OP, what is your build date and VIN?

I certainly hope you get all of the many issues you encountered fixed to your satisfaction. Seems like almost all Tesla owners love their cars in spite of these flaws but it seems to me that we should get better after shelling out 60K+.

I cancelled my order in May and am retrying later this year in hope that fit and finish and QC will have improved after frantic Q2 production push.

I don't know where to find build date but my VIN is 11,7XX.