Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we insane?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article:

"If a company like Ford had released Autopilot for Fiesta drivers, it’s hard to imagine they would have reacted the same way."

Yes, we have seen Tesla drivers riding in the back seat with AP on - what else could Fiesta drivers possibly do?

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the day that I can legally get into the car drunk and have it take me home, or for elderly or recently disabled people who would otherwise be losing their license for minor reasons continue to own and operate a car.
I'm hoping that autopilot will get better faster than my aging brain and body deteriorates.

The aging boomer population is probably the #1 thing that's driving autonomic vehicle systems development. People don't want to give up their independence and automated cars will make it so that even if someone is an unsafe driver due to age deteriorating their senses and reflexes it really won't matter.

A lot of other side benefits will open up once the systems are very well proven such as cars being able to be parked/retrieved automatically and possibly at some point far down the road the ability to do things like transport minors (that's a sticky one because you basically have an unaccompanied child that is being "watched" by the car, first time a kid gets snatched out of a Tesla by an estranged parent that feature is gone).

I'm waiting for the day that I can legally get into the car drunk and have it take me home, or for elderly or recently disabled people who would otherwise be losing their license for minor reasons continue to own and operate a car.
The aging boomer population is probably the #1 thing that's driving autonomic vehicle systems development. People don't want to give up their independence and automated cars will make it so that even if someone is an unsafe driver due to age deteriorating their senses and reflexes it really won't matter.

A lot of other side benefits will open up once the systems are very well proven such as cars being able to be parked/retrieved automatically and possibly at some point far down the road the ability to do things like transport minors (that's a sticky one because you basically have an unaccompanied child that is being "watched" by the car, first time a kid gets snatched out of a Tesla by an estranged parent that feature is gone).

Hmmm. that's also an interesting legal situation. I wonder what would happen first drunks relying on autopilot or un attended kids with out a regular license. I kind of lean towards the drunks.

Be careful what you wish for with autonomous vehicles. If there is one thing I've noticed over the years, it's that there is a trend toward less and less freedom in the name of safety. In the future I can see the success of autonomous driving being used as a hammer to limit our ability to freely travel in the name of some type of safety. It seems that average people are being slowly and silently conditioned to live with less and less freedom as well as personal wealth.

Be careful what you wish for with autonomous vehicles. If there is one thing I've noticed over the years, it's that there is a trend toward less and less freedom in the name of safety. In the future I can see the success of autonomous driving being used as a hammer to limit our ability to freely travel in the name of some type of safety. It seems that average people are being slowly and silently conditioned to live with less and less freedom as well as personal wealth.
there were 30,000 traffic deaths in America last year. I think they have plenty of justification for autonomous driving.

(that's a sticky one because you basically have an unaccompanied child that is being "watched" by the car, first time a kid gets snatched out of a Tesla by an estranged parent that feature is gone).

How is it different from a child riding their bike to school? A sixteen year old can drive themselves to school today, so it it really unsafe to have a fifteen year old be driven in a self driving car? You still won't be able to put a baby in a self driving car by itself just the way you can't leave a baby alone at home. But how old is safe now no longer has anything to do with their ability to operate a vehicle.

People don't have the "freedom" to murder other people either. Fine with me. I'm not quite sure how you get from the car doing the driving to limiting the ability to freely travel. Whether the car is doing the driving or the person, I'm still getting to where I want to go.
I apologize. I didn't realize those were the only choices. I must have overlooked that. Then again, I obviously don't posses the logical prowess that you do.

Pick ONE:
A) Murder people
B) Autonomous-only "driving"

I apologize. I didn't realize those were the only choices. I must have overlooked that. Then again, I obviously don't posses the logical prowess that you do.

Pick ONE:
A) Murder people
B) Autonomous-only "driving"

we were asking you to fill in the vast logical chasm you leaped over to get from "Level 4 Autonomous Driving" to "loss of freedoms and personal wealth".