Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are we stuck with low supercharge 2015 s 85d?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see no one is really giving you actual answers on this yet, so here goes:

why am i only getting 26 kw???
The answer is in the latter half of your sentence, here:
.i have a target of 90% today and i am 5% away from that
You are at 85% full. Recharging speed always slow down as batteries get more full.
i guess my battery tech from 2017 sucks.
No it isn't. This is the physics/chemistry of how most kinds of batteries work in their recharging process, and it has always been this way. Batteries can't take really fast charging speeds when they are getting nearly full. They slow down the power input to avoid damaging them.
less then at my home?
It is much more than at your home.
just decided to go home where i get 40kw
You most definitely DO NOT get 40 kW at your home!! You aren't understanding the units difference between amps and kilowatts. Watts or kilowatts is volts multiplied by amps. So the number you see at home that says 40 is the amps. 240V times 40A is 9,600 watts, so that's a bit less than 10 kW. The Supercharger was giving more than double that power.

I see no one is really giving you actual answers on this yet, so here goes:

The answer is in the latter half of your sentence, here:

You are at 85% full. Recharging speed always slow down as batteries get more full.

No it isn't. This is the physics/chemistry of how most kinds of batteries work in their recharging process, and it has always been this way. Batteries can't take really fast charging speeds when they are getting nearly full. They slow down the power input to avoid damaging them.

It is much more than at your home.

You most definitely DO NOT get 40 kW at your home!! You aren't understanding the units difference between amps and kilowatts. Watts or kilowatts is volts multiplied by amps. So the number you see at home that says 40 is the amps. 240V times 40A is 9,600 watts, so that's a bit less than 10 kW. The Supercharger was giving more than double that power.
All i know is on my last trip 2-3 yrs ago at SC stations i was getting 90-100 kw....NEVER 25...EVEN AS WE GOT MORE FULL in charging....we followed map plots and of course didnt fully charge at each stop..but something has changed drastically at the sc with our car.

And i am not technical with the kw/amp things sorry.

All i know is on my last trip 2-3 yrs ago at SC stations i was getting 90-100 kw....NEVER 25...EVEN AS WE GOT MORE FULL in charging....we followed map plots and of course didnt fully charge at each stop..but something has changed drastically at the sc with our car.
I don't know what else to tell you other than what I already covered. It is literally impossible to get that kind of charging power at 85% full. I've had my Model S for almost 10 years now and have been close to unhealthily obsessive with being in these details and on this forum daily. The charging curve of how the power level slows down as the battery % gets higher is pretty well known and has always been there. It was about like clockwork how you could add together the charging power in kW and the state of charge in %, and they would be close to 120 or so. So at 80%, it would be about 40 kW. They did reduce that stuff a bit several years ago, to where that rule of thumb constant is more like 105 or so instead of 120, but that would match this 25 kW that you say you're seeing at 85% full.

I stopped by the SC in N Bergen next to the Starbucks last Sunday 10.15.23 to test my SCing speeds and I am happy to report the results were better than anticipated.

Screenshot 2023-10-21 at 6.51.53 PM.png

Although TeslaFi reports a max of 94 KW, I definately saw the charging ramp up to 106 KW and stay above 100 KW for several seconds.

SCing is definately slower than it was 8 years ago. but the baseline for me is 90 KW which I more than achieved -- and was not expecting to given my poor results rescently at Urban chargers.

I plugged in with 11 miles of RR and reached 90% in less time than it took my to do so at the yourban chagers.. and my ave charging speed was at leats 20 KW greater than at the urban SCers...

so.. yeah.. We are not knocking it out of the park or anything, but SCing for me is still more than ok.

the worst part was Lincoln Tunnel Traffic in both directions. but i'm an EV nerd. and I needed to know the status of my battery.

i'm going back to the urban charger at 250 Vessey or at the William Vale in Bklyn omorrow and will report back in due course.