Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are wind noises fixed under warranty for free or do they charge for it? (Wind noise from triangle piece on drivers door)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Burbank SC said that wind noiises are not fixed under warranty. They cited Page 10 of new vehicle warranty: exclusions and limitations: general appearance or normal noises and vibrations including but not limited to general knocks, creaks, rattles and wind and road vibration".

Burbank SC said that wind noiises are not fixed under warranty. They cited Page 10 of new vehicle warranty: exclusions and limitations: general appearance or normal noises and vibrations including but not limited to general knocks, creaks, rattles and wind and road vibration".
This is the second bad thing I've read about Burbank SC today. Sucks. How far is another SC?

This is the second bad thing I've read about Burbank SC today. Sucks. How far is another SC?

From my own personal experience, Burbank SC is bad. They lost my mobile connector that was in the trunk when replacing something on my 3 - I tried to call to see if the tech still had it (which is an exercise in patience with Tesla as a whole), they said there's no way that's possible - that it would have been put back - in the end, it took me going back there a few days later and they just gave me a new one to get me to go away. To top it off, I found that they broke my tow hook cover (left the broken one in the door cubby) - wasn't worth pursuing after the mobile connector incident.

The next closest is in arcadia - I will try there next time.

From my own personal experience, Burbank SC is bad. They lost my mobile connector that was in the trunk when replacing something on my 3 - I tried to call to see if the tech still had it (which is an exercise in patience with Tesla as a whole), they said there's no way that's possible - that it would have been put back - in the end, it took me going back there a few days later and they just gave me a new one to get me to go away. To top it off, I found that they broke my tow hook cover (left the broken one in the door cubby) - wasn't worth pursuing after the mobile connector incident.

The next closest is in arcadia - I will try there next time.
The Charlotte SC said they absolutely treat MS/X owners different than 3/Y, which I understand considering the price. I assume you have an X based on the forum, but I had to be towed about 300 miles and they didn't charge me. They said if it was a 3/Y, they probably would have.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
The Charlotte SC said they absolutely treat MS/X owners different than 3/Y, which I understand considering the price. I assume you have an X based on the forum, but I had to be towed about 300 miles and they didn't charge me. They said if it was a 3/Y, they probably would have.
Just recently got the X. Experience above was for our 2018 model 3.

That’s impressive that they didn’t charge you a towing fee. A long time ago, we had one of the first Model S in Bay Area ca. When tesla was just starting out. The SCs were amazing back then.

Just recently got the X. Experience above was for our 2018 model 3.

That’s impressive that they didn’t charge you a towing fee. A long time ago, we had one of the first Model S in Bay Area ca. When tesla was just starting out. The SCs were amazing back then.
I really like the mobile tech in my area. He always goes above and beyond.

The original seal between the fixed pane (or quarter pane depending on what you want to call it) changed sometime after my 2017 S75D was built. Last year a deer t-boned my car, and destroyed the drivers side mirror, dented both front & rear drivers side doors, and barely bent the frame the fixed pane is attached to.

This caused the occasional wind noise I would have to change to a constant scream. The body shop didn't replace the fixed pane & door seals, and I refused to take it back after they screwed up on the repair in general. I had the insurance company cut me a check for the cost of the parts from Tesla, and I swapped them myself. What I found is that on the vertical seal attached to that fixed pane, Tesla had started inserting a section of silicone tubing inside the seal, which "stiffens" where the drivers or passenger window glides against it. Other than that, the seal is still the same. I checked the original seal, as well as the one on the passenger side door, and both were missing this "reinforcement." I ended up just replacing the fixed pane & that one seal, and returned the main door seal as after the replacement seal was installed, ALL of the wind noise that I would have from that fixed pane was gone, and has not yet returned.

Prior to the accident, I could count on a bit of wind noise from the drivers side once I got to 70mph, but the passenger side would only do it sometimes. I didn't want to shell out the cost for a new seal, so I sacrificed a fat silicone straw (~0.5" OD) and shoved it on in there before putting everything back together. Sure enough, the wind noise on the passenger side was gone as well.

Here are a couple pictures to show were it is inserted/etc. If you do this, use lots of lube.....TRUST ME. It's a real pain to insert the tubing, but becomes a nightmare to "snap" the seal back into the grooves if it's dry. I used a white lithium grease spray that I had around, and it worked like a charm.

1692673685174.png

1692673720949.png

Reactions: Bigriver
I expect that if you can identify a specific piece/area of molding that is not sealing well, that it is likely to be covered by warranty. I think the noises that Tesla is most likely to push back on are ones that are vague and would take a lot of diagnostic time.

I did have a rear seat problem on my model X that was rubbing and creating a noise, which they fixed under warranty. And my model 3 had wind noise around the windshield that they fixed under warranty (by spending all of 10 seconds popping some molding back into alignment, which did fix the problem.)
Can you say exactly where the windshield issue was?
Can you take a picture and point it out?

I also had that wind noise issue with my 2016 MX (passenger side). I played a bit with my door seal and I detected there's a maybe 5" long solid peace of something in the door seal, which slided down within in the seal on the passenger side. On the driver side it seems to be at the right place because there was no wind noise issue. On the passenger side I simply moved the solid something up to the same position as it's at the driver side and now it's good.

Reactions: matt1981m
The original seal between the fixed pane (or quarter pane depending on what you want to call it) changed sometime after my 2017 S75D was built. Last year a deer t-boned my car, and destroyed the drivers side mirror, dented both front & rear drivers side doors, and barely bent the frame the fixed pane is attached to.

This caused the occasional wind noise I would have to change to a constant scream. The body shop didn't replace the fixed pane & door seals, and I refused to take it back after they screwed up on the repair in general. I had the insurance company cut me a check for the cost of the parts from Tesla, and I swapped them myself. What I found is that on the vertical seal attached to that fixed pane, Tesla had started inserting a section of silicone tubing inside the seal, which "stiffens" where the drivers or passenger window glides against it. Other than that, the seal is still the same. I checked the original seal, as well as the one on the passenger side door, and both were missing this "reinforcement." I ended up just replacing the fixed pane & that one seal, and returned the main door seal as after the replacement seal was installed, ALL of the wind noise that I would have from that fixed pane was gone, and has not yet returned.

Prior to the accident, I could count on a bit of wind noise from the drivers side once I got to 70mph, but the passenger side would only do it sometimes. I didn't want to shell out the cost for a new seal, so I sacrificed a fat silicone straw (~0.5" OD) and shoved it on in there before putting everything back together. Sure enough, the wind noise on the passenger side was gone as well.

Here are a couple pictures to show were it is inserted/etc. If you do this, use lots of lube.....TRUST ME. It's a real pain to insert the tubing, but becomes a nightmare to "snap" the seal back into the grooves if it's dry. I used a white lithium grease spray that I had around, and it worked like a charm.

View attachment 967223

View attachment 967224
Do you happen to have the part numbers for this? I have a 2016 that suffers from wind noise and would like to try and replace these seals. It's literally the only thing that bothers us about the car.