Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are wind noises fixed under warranty for free or do they charge for it? (Wind noise from triangle piece on drivers door)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1054.jpeg

Getting some wind noise at this seal on the drivers door when going 40+ mph. I can push on it from the inside to quiet it down.

Anyone know if service will fix this for free if still in warranty? Or are wind noise and rattles paid for by owner?

Or does anyone know how to fix this?

Anyone know if service will fix this for free if still in warranty? Or are wind noise and rattles paid for by owner?
I expect that if you can identify a specific piece/area of molding that is not sealing well, that it is likely to be covered by warranty. I think the noises that Tesla is most likely to push back on are ones that are vague and would take a lot of diagnostic time.

I did have a rear seat problem on my model X that was rubbing and creating a noise, which they fixed under warranty. And my model 3 had wind noise around the windshield that they fixed under warranty (by spending all of 10 seconds popping some molding back into alignment, which did fix the problem.)

Ive had the same issue on my previous Model S, and service tried fixing it multiple times with no luck. Tried multiple adjustments and packing lots of foam into areas. So this time I decided to see if I could easily fix the problem myself.

Just a couple of days ago I added some small strips of foam insulation tape/weather seal to solve that exact problem. Works great! The adhesive didn't seem great, but so far Ive had no issues with them unsticking. If i have issues in the future I'll use a better double sided tape.
I only added a small strip at the top, where the door seal makes contact. It blends in great and no one will even notice unless its pointed out.

This is what I bought:

It's way more than i need (33'), but it was only $10 and I have other uses for it. I couldn't find a smaller amount that was similar, but maybe you'll have better luck.

Reactions: tdiggity
Ive had the same issue on my previous Model S, and service tried fixing it multiple times with no luck. Tried multiple adjustments and packing lots of foam into areas. So this time I decided to see if I could easily fix the problem myself.

Just a couple of days ago I added some small strips of foam insulation tape/weather seal to solve that exact problem. Works great! The adhesive didn't seem great, but so far Ive had no issues with them unsticking. If i have issues in the future I'll use a better double sided tape.
I only added a small strip at the top, where the door seal makes contact. It blends in great and no one will even notice unless its pointed out.

This is what I bought:

It's way more than i need (33'), but it was only $10 and I have other uses for it. I couldn't find a smaller amount that was similar, but maybe you'll have better luck.

Nice! I'll give this a try!

Reactions: Lectric_Agent
I just got my driver side fixed yesterday at service center. He was supposed to take care of the passenger side too but didnt. I think it has made a significant impact in road/wind noise in my car, but I had to push for it. Service center tech was not that approachable or easy going, in fact he was kind of sarcastic and I didnt appreciate it. I hate Tesla.

Reactions: jiehan
Tesla says they will only fix wind and other NVH noises that you report within the first 24 hours or 100 miles...whichever comes first. If you get them to fix something reported after this period/miles, you're just plain lucky.

Tesla says they will only fix wind and other NVH noises that you report within the first 24 hours or 100 miles...whichever comes first. If you get them to fix something reported after this period/miles, you're just plain lucky.
That maybe what they've said to you, but I've heard plenty of people get wind noised fixed after the 24 hours. I've had creaks fixed, etc.

Tesla typically will try to fix these and not charge.

They fixed many NVH issues with my MS as a "goodwill" fixes. You have to be really nice when you ask lol. The best luck I've had is when scheduling other work and/or making the appointment by stopping by the service center and speaking with an advisor. Sometimes I would ask when dropping off the car and that would work too.

Ive had the best luck with mobile service when they're already out for another issue and I ask nicely! They have gone on rides with me multiple times to address issues. If you can get them to do any kind of adjustment for your issue and it reoccurs, you can bring it up with service for them to fix again (for free) since a tech has recently addressed ("touched") and tried to correct the issue

That notice didn't say anything about noises.

Mine did. Not only that, it specifically called out wind noise, squeaks, rattles, body panel fitment or alignment, paint issues, etc.

I highly recommend everyone check their bump stops on their FWDs. These are in the roof on the forward and rear edges and prevent the doors sinking below the roof level as they close before being pulled back up by the latch. Most are not properly adjusted which will result in your roof glass seals tearing after a year or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: tdiggity
Mine did. Not only that, it specifically called out wind noise, squeaks, rattles, body panel fitment or alignment, paint issues, etc.

I highly recommend everyone check their bump stops on their FWDs. These are in the roof on the forward and rear edges and prevent the doors sinking below the roof level as they close before being pulled back up by the latch. Most are not properly adjusted which will result in your roof glass seals tearing after a year or so.
It must be your SC. Mine explicitly states that rattles and wind noises are a warranty repair. I've had them come out 3 times for a rattle in my back seat until I fixed it myself.

It seems in most places Tesla will fix/repair at no charge.

It must be your SC. Mine explicitly states that rattles and wind noises are a warranty repair. I've had them come out 3 times for a rattle in my back seat until I fixed it myself.

It seems in most places Tesla will fix/repair at no charge.

It has nothing to do with the service center. Maybe it's your state? Can you post your written documentation that states NVH issues are warrantied?

It has nothing to do with the service center. Maybe it's your state? Can you post your written documentation that states NVH issues are warrantied?
All the people here are saying Tesla has covered this. There was nothing when I picked up my 3 Teslas about reporting wind noise or NVH within 24 hours or 100 miles. This is exactly what it said..."You have 24 hours or 100 miles to report any manufacturing defects"

I understand that almost no warranty covers wind noise or rattles, but since the beginning, almost every instance I've seen, Tesla has covered it and tried to fix things (sometimes poorly) at no charge. I also have purchased a Tesla in 2 different states, but typically use the same SC because my state doesn't have a SC nor does it have delivery.

You claimed you received a notice in the app that specifically said you have 24 hours to find NVH or wind noise.

Anecdotal, but my next door neighbor had a 2020 MY and the SC in Charlotte, NC put weather stripping around the trip and doors at no cost after she rode in my 2021 and it was much quieter. They just sent a Mobile tech to do it.

There are numerous threads about Tesla sending multiple techs to fix the rattles in the S/X rear seat and the various ways they fixed it or failed at no cost.