Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you also investing in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chief Tech officer #3 in Tesla (J.B. Straubel ?) sells 17 K shares at 33.67 2/27 $527K (not confirmed)

Some Tesla management have a share grant program which executes automatically on a regular basis. It's part of their compensation package. JB is one of them and you'll see it's always for the same amount. (I forget where it was, but was in one of their filings.)

Not too concerned, maybe a little excited. (what did you mean by 60-70%? sorry) Hope they wait a bit into the Spring and use some nice avg gas price like 4.25 or even more.

EPA is perhaps likely to knock the Tesla number down by 30% (Leaf from 100 to 70 miles), so the largest pack might get a sticker range of 210 miles.

Anyone concerned about what impact, if any, the EPA's MPGe rating for the Model S - presumably in the 60-70% range of the 160/230/300 - might have on the stock price when announced?

I think it might create some FUD (Tesla fails to deliver on 300 mile range! Tesla loses 90 miles of range on road to production!), but I think it will blow over. So maybe a few dips, then a bounce back.

Some Tesla management have a share grant program which executes automatically on a regular basis. It's part of their compensation package. JB is one of them and you'll see it's always for the same amount. (I forget where it was, but was in one of their filings.)

This is not so much a Tesla thing, as a general legal requirement. If you want, look up 10b5-1 trading plans. Basically, senior executives have to set up a plan to sell stock or options in advance, so that they can't be accused of insider trading, if for example the stock dropped precipitously the day after he sold. The plans can be quite complex, but can't depend on anything about the company's performance. JB's sounds simple: sell 17K shares each time, on some schedule. I think the 12k+5k thing is probably that some is stock and some is options, so it's two separate trades.

This is not so much a Tesla thing, as a general legal requirement. If you want, look up 10b5-1 trading plans. Basically, senior executives have to set up a plan to sell stock or options in advance, so that they can't be accused of insider trading, if for example the stock dropped precipitously the day after he sold. The plans can be quite complex, but can't depend on anything about the company's performance. JB's sounds simple: sell 17K shares each time, on some schedule. I think the 12k+5k thing is probably that some is stock and some is options, so it's two separate trades.

Yup, regular trading intervals are necessary for executives of any company to avoid accusations of insider trading.

I have to say, I love reading this thread. It's somewhat expected but when there's money on the line people will go to great lengths to defend their own financial interests. It's quite likely that many of the articles which question TSLA are only written by those who stand to profit from Tesla's failure, whether it be ICE based automakers, oil companies, investors with a large short position in the company, or politicians who are greased by any of the above. But those who only think the stock should be moving up are just as guilty of a biased standpoint, whether it be because you are a shareholder of TSLA or a reservation holder of one of its cars. The fact remains, there are many hurdles left for this company to clear before people are convinced it is a viable and sustainable business. Front and center is the Model S production schedule. If they don't have any setbacks and meet their delivery estimates, that would be huge for both Tesla and TSLA.

I think it might create some FUD (Tesla fails to deliver on 300 mile range! Tesla loses 90 miles of range on road to production!), but I think it will blow over. So maybe a few dips, then a bounce back.

I'm not so sure it will be an actual problem. Tesla will list the EPA mileage on the sticker, and include that in their specifications; but as they can state truthfully what the range is at 55 mph, I fully expect they will continue to do so.