Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you also investing in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright, that's it! As a stockholder I demand Elon travel by armored tank convoy from now on!

One so secure something malfunctions and he's liked inside with no air.

As for my post, honestly it was directed more to posts like the one cauliflower made flipping out. Though, based on earlier posts it should have been clear playing stocks was something he shouldn't be doing In the first place.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

I'm just pissed I was away and not able to buy more, I guess I'll see what I can get next week.

That's why whenever I am following a stock, I keep a limit order on file for what I believe would be an exceptional buy (and if I am holding stock, an exceptional sell). I completely misjudged how low it would go. When TSLA was in the low 30's, I didn't think it would get back to $26, but you never know. Well that order just got filled. That way you don't have to watch the market every day and you can take advantage of weird stuff. I actually got AAPL on sale when the market had that fictitious crash (I think) 2 summers ago when a trader accidentally put in an extra zero. Yes, it's true, you can also get screwed... but that's the market.

Because I was a high school and college student the last 6 years on these forums, I didn't have any cash or opportunity to invest when the IPO happened. I noticed the news today right at 4 EST and managed to fire off a buy after-hours at $22.79, which I'm pretty pleased about. I'm in this for the long haul.... maybe if things work out it will turn into a downpayment on my [future] next-gen Roadster!

I bet a lot of stop-loss orders were triggered. Between those guys wanting to buy back in, folks like us looking for bargains, and a whole heap of shorts who might want to take advantage of the situation and cover up, Tuesday may be very interesting indeed!

It dropped so much I had two limit orders filled - some at $25 and some at $24. I wouldn't be surprised to see it settle back at $26-27 shortly, although I'll only be concerned if it stays under $35 in August. I'll sell some at that point, and let the rest stay put (and hope for dividends in 5 years).

I own a few shares of Tesla just because I like the company and I like my Roadster. (For the same reason I own a few shares of Toyota and a few other companies.) But I do not consider it an "investment." It is a sentimental thing. I like feeling that I own a piece of a company I like.

But I would never invest a significant amount of money in any individual stock. And rapid buying/selling to try to capitalize on the short-term fluctuations of the market is nothing but gambling: no different from the roulette wheel or the craps table in Vegas. The stock market reflects a composite of several factors, only one of which is the actual value of a company. Among others are the collective perception of earnings potential, consumer demand, and likelihood of success or collapse of a company. And these factors cannot be anticipated. If you invest for the long term, you don't worry about these fluctuations. Every bit of news will affect a stock's price one way or the other, but unless you are an insider you cannot hope (except by dumb luck, just as in Vegas) to profit from such vagaries.

In my opinion, investing any significant part of your savings in any one company is reckless, and getting excited or angry over short-term changes is pointless.

In my opinion, Tesla is a solid company with excellent chances for long-term success, and an investment in Tesla today will be worth considerable money in twenty years. But, that's just my opinion, and there's also a very real chance that Tesla will fail in the competition with bigger companies when they finally get into the EV market in a big way. And nobody can know what the "real" underlying value of the company is, in order to determine if today's price is high, low, or realistic.

Start-up companies like Tesla are a place to put risk capital: That portion of your savings that you can afford to lose if the price falls or the company goes under. High risk, and high potential for gain.

But it's utterly ridiculous to get angry at Tesla's executives when a news bombshell causes the price to fall 20%, or to get all excited when another news item causes it to rise to a new high.

For me, I like the feeling that I own some of Tesla. I will not lose or make much on it because I don't have a lot in it. I'll keep my shares until some other company offers me a car I like better. My real investments are in mutual funds, where the risk is spread out over lots of issues, both stocks and bonds. Bottom line: Tesla is still a very new company, and as such its price will fluctuate widely with every news item and the vagaries of the markets, and it may give the early investors buckets of money in twenty years, or it may fail when Nissan and BMW and Toyota and others start high-volume production of both luxury and affordable EVs.

In sports, I tend to wager against the team I'm cheering for. If my team wins, then I'm happy because they won; if my team looses, then I'm happy because I'm (a little bit) richer.

As daniel points out, investing a large portion of your portfolio in Tesla, as well as having the emotional investment of a reservation, may not be wise. If there are issues, you are hit twice: financially and emotionally. Diversify!

my investment in the reservation fee is already huge more then my investment in the stock. you wouldn't get it back if Tesla fails. You would face a 100% loss as well.
The $35k I put in was what used to be my Sig reservation, so it was already at risk. I'm not sure if having it in TSLA is more or less risk, but the risk is more granular in the sense that TSLA can vary from $0-$lots versus the reservation deposit probably being worth $0 or $35k with nothing in between.

Friday the 13th chaos. Happy Birthday!!

Yep. Jan. 13th is my youngest grandson's birthday.

But I have to say don't panic. I put enough into Tesla stock that along with the $5k deposit I could pay for the base model. If the stock stays low, I'll never be able to get even the 40kW-h version. But I'm in for the long haul. I can't believe that two execs leaving is going to kill the company.

I put enough into Tesla stock that along with the $5k deposit I could pay for the base model. If the stock stays low, I'll never be able to get even the 40kW-h version. But I'm in for the long haul.

I'm not sure I understand your remark about in for the long haul. If you need the Tesla stock to purchase your Model S, and you should receive delivery in less than a year, then how do you figure that's the long haul?

My curiosity relates to my question in posting #448.

Larry