Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you paying for premium connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a car without premium connectivity still has free cell phone connectivity?
Yes, the cell connection is always there no matter you have premium connectivity or not(I believe it's called standard connection). That's how Tesla uses it to transmit your vehicle various data(including diagnostic, statistical, real-time data even some privacy data etc.) to its server all the time, also it can check OTA updates as well. I have verified that traffic data is indeed used when doing navigation.

Yes, the cell connection is always there no matter you have premium connectivity or not(I believe it's called standard connection). That's how Tesla uses it to transmit your vehicle various data(including diagnostic, statistical, real-time data even some privacy data etc.) to its server all the time, also it can check OTA updates as well. I have verified that traffic data is indeed used when doing navigation.
Yea, according to the chart here, Premium gets you Live Traffic Visualization 'only'.... https://www.tesla.com/support/connectivity

Wow, that was all news to me.

Even get Supercharger stall availability with standard.

For some reason free standard connectivity expires after 8 years.
True, it says Standard Connectivity expires after 8 years(for vehicle made of 2022). No one knows what's going to happen after that. I believe data transmission will still work as now in background but Tesla app control/connection to your vehicle might need a service fee to work.

True, it says Standard Connectivity expires after 8 years(for vehicle made of 2022). No one knows what's going to happen after that. I believe data transmission will still work as now in background but Tesla app control/connection to your vehicle might need a service fee to work.
I am sure software updates will still be enabled since that is crucial for compliance but basic stuff like maps navigation I can see going away but I do wonder about supercharger navigation. Maybe it would be butchered where you can only do supercharger navigation and not destination navigation. I think at that point after 8 years, it would probably be just easier to subscribe to Premium connectivity.

I think at that point after 8 years, it would probably be just easier to subscribe to Premium connectivity.

Tesla probably says 8 years because the cell technology it relies on could be obsolete by then. It gets them off the hook from having to upgrade all those modems for free. (If they've even designed the hardware with a modem that can be swapped out.)

Reactions: UncleCreepy
One more thing, if you don't have premium connectivity subscription, you won't be able to have real time sentry mode live camera. That means you still can turn on sentry mode but you can't see the live image from camera, even if your vehicle is on Wi-Fi. I think that's the only thing would make me to pay for the service if I care/need this feature. All other features can be substituted by connecting my phone's hotspot or home Wi-Fi.
Especially useful when I leave my bud in the car with Dog Mode on, worth every penny!

Reactions: fredzos
Tesla probably says 8 years because the cell technology it relies on could be obsolete by then. It gets them off the hook from having to upgrade all those modems for free. (If they've even designed the hardware with a modem that can be swapped out.)
I doubt that is the reason why. 4G will still be around in the next decade. Heck if you look at cell phone providers they still have 2G running although that should be sunsetting at some point just because of limited use in the future but 3G is still around with no announcements by cell phone providers to sunset 3G services.