Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

Reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

• Reserving at the reveal

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • Reserving at a store

Votes: 302 63.7%
  • Reserving online

Votes: 156 32.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
E-mail from Tesla just now:

We're excited to share details of the Model 3 prototype unveiling at an intimate event in Los Angeles, CA for less than 800 people.

We want to share this with Tesla owners first, as a token of our appreciation for your support over the years. We've saved 650 places at the event for current owners including their guests.

Places will be allocated at random through a drawing on March 16. To enter, simply click below and register before noon PST on March 16 2016. You'll need to use your MyTesla email address to ensure successful entry into the lottery. On March 17, official invitations will go out to those selected through the lottery.

Model 3 reservations will open in Tesla stores on March 31 at 10am PST, as well as online immediately when the event (which will also be accessible via a live stream) begins. As a current owner who has supported Tesla and our mission, your reservation will take priority and be placed ahead of non-owners.

Thanks again for your support. Good luck!

The Tesla Team
Was told the same thing by the mt kisco ny store when I called this afternoon

I've had an opposite experience, almost every Leaf owner I've met is looking forward to or reserving the Model 3.

It's possible that it's because I'm both in the US (we seem to be very Tesla-aware here compared to most everywhere else except Norway), and that I'm in the MIdwest (EV drivers here are still mostly "bleeding edge" early adopters).

Absolutely. Just to give you a perspective for Germany: I am an EV nut and well known for it with family, friends, colleagues, etc. But when I generally talk with people, and the subject comes to EVs, it turns out that more than 9 out of 10 have never even heard of Tesla, let alone what cars they make or plan to make. Remember there are still far less than 10,000 Model S on German roads (plus one Model X ;)). So the chance to see one on the roads for the average German is far smaller than seeing a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce or various other exotic vehicles.
Even EV drivers as a whole are just a miniscule minority of the car driving public over here.

Absolutely. Just to give you a perspective for Germany: I am an EV nut and well known for it with family, friends, colleagues, etc. But when I generally talk with people, and the subject comes to EVs, it turns out that more than 9 out of 10 have never even heard of Tesla, let alone what cars they make or plan to make. Remember there are still far less than 10,000 Model S on German roads (plus one Model X ;)). So the chance to see one on the roads for the average German is far smaller than seeing a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce or various other exotic vehicles.
Even EV drivers as a whole are just a miniscule minority of the car driving public over here.

Well here's one Leaf owner that's bowing out. Why bother queuing up to try to reserve a car when thousands of existing owners can waltz in whenever and get in front of you with a reservation. May as well wait and see how they track to meeting delivery estimates or whether there's delays. Wait until they start shipping and then if they've achieved their proposed production capacity you will only have to wait a couple of months to take delivery anyway.

How early is everyone getting to their local store before 1 pm Eastern/10 AM Pacific to line up?
I'm pulling the old walk in at 11am PT in the hopes that the lines will have cleared out and I'll be able to place the reservation and then go back to work. Also, I am willing to trade in any chance of getting the full credit for a reduced credit and letting all the people who lined up be the guinea pigs and get the early cars.

I had originally said I was going to Dedham MA. Then I said I would just order online since owners get priority. I'm not ordering a P version so I figure why go to store. But I might wake up that day and decide I want to see the hype. The store is over an hour away...but I could make it a shopping day. So I will probably decide the last minute.

Unless of course I win a lottery ticket to the reveal in LA. :)

Well here's one Leaf owner that's bowing out. Why bother queuing up to try to reserve a car when thousands of existing owners can waltz in whenever and get in front of you with a reservation. May as well wait and see how they track to meeting delivery estimates or whether there's delays. Wait until they start shipping and then if they've achieved their proposed production capacity you will only have to wait a couple of months to take delivery anyway.

Agree with you 100%

A co-worker and I will be reserving at our local gallery.

Note there's been no indication that Tesla galleries will take reservations - Elon's tweet and further communications say "stores" which are different than galleries in Tesla parlance. Tesla has a list of locations and list "Store" or "Gallery" when you click on them, although also note this list is not necessarily up to date, as my local "Gallery" says they do take orders now and are an official Store. So my advice is to 1) Call up your gallery or 2) failing that, look at that link and see if the phone number is local or not. If it's a local number, there's a better than even chance it's a store.

I didn't realize that there was a difference between gallery and store. I thought they referred to all locations as galleries. What's the difference between them? In our tri-county area, each county has a Tesla "store" and they are all taking orders.

Note there's been no indication that Tesla galleries will take reservations - Elon's tweet and further communications say "stores" which are different than galleries in Tesla parlance. Tesla has a list of locations and list "Store" or "Gallery" when you click on them, although also note this list is not necessarily up to date, as my local "Gallery" says they do take orders now and are an official Store. So my advice is to 1) Call up your gallery or 2) failing that, look at that link and see if the phone number is local or not. If it's a local number, there's a better than even chance it's a store.

In CT not even galleries are legal at the moment so all we have is a single service center. I called them and they said they will not be taking deposits.

So to recap:
Store: Yes will take deposit
Gallery: Maybe, I'd call before travling
Service Center: No

I haven't been to either (yet) but my understanding is Stores can take orders, Galleries cannot. The distinction can be due to legislation or maybe just simple resource issues, like my local Gallery has the following: "Our display is located in front of J Crew between Williams Sonoma and Free People". This suggests it's just a kiosk type arrangement.

*edit*: I found a post on Tesla's forum saying a Texas gallery is taking reservations (!), so who knows.