Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

Reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online?

• Reserving at the reveal

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • Reserving at a store

Votes: 302 63.7%
  • Reserving online

Votes: 156 32.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand the purpose of the "in-store appointment", I would appreciate an explanation.
What is the difference between a
in-store appointment or walking in and ordering? I called and was told they don't take appointments, what did you tell them?

I don't understand the purpose of the "in-store appointment", I would appreciate an explanation.
What is the difference between a
in-store appointment or walking in and ordering? I called and was told they don't take appointments, what did you tell them?

I think most (all?) of us were just joking about making an appointment... There are several theories why Tesla wants the first day to be on a walk-in basis. Inside EVs did a short write-up.

I personally think it's somewhat brilliant. We'll see if it plays out this way... but can you imagine the positive press of a dozen or so people standing in line waiting for the store to open so they can reserve their car? That's my take anyway....

I think most (all?) of us were just joking about making an appointment... There are several theories why Tesla wants the first day to be on a walk-in basis. Inside EVs did a short write-up.

I personally think it's somewhat brilliant. We'll see if it plays out this way... but can you imagine the positive press of a dozen or so people standing in line waiting for the store to open so they can reserve their car? That's my take anyway....

Oh I see...can't believe I fell for it.

Not sure if I will reserve at the store or online, my Model X will keep me distracted for sometime but I don't want to miss out on the tax credit.

Maybe some people enjoy crowds and waiting in line, good for them

I think most people do not enjoy waiting in line, myself included. Tesla is not short of press attention, they can get attention in ways that do not inconvenience their customers.

Maybe some people enjoy crowds and waiting in line, good for them

I think most people do not enjoy waiting in line, myself included. Tesla is not short of press attention, they can get attention in ways that do not inconvenience their customers.
+1

It sucks that I can't take 3/31 off to do the road trip to Cleveland to put in a reservation. I suspect Tesla is doing this in part as a way to make those of us in anti-Tesla states take delivery later so Tesla doesn't have to deal with the costs of all the legal shenanigans they have do for states like Michigan in the early days of deliveries -- they can bank more money sooner that way. Still a bummer for me, though.

From Clean Technica:
Top Reasons Tesla Model 3 Reservations Starting In Stores Makes Sense
Top Reasons Tesla Model 3 Reservations Starting In Stores Makes Sense | CleanTechnica

-Personal contact. For many folks, this will be their first interaction with Tesla. It behooves them, and behooves Tesla, to have face-to-face contact. Orders made in person probably will stick better than impersonal click-to-order business.
-Logistics. Customers will learn exactly where their closest store is located, where to park, how the store operates, store hours, financing process, “trade-in” process, and with any luck, they will get to know Tesla personnel. All the better for a smooth relationship going forward.
-Peripheral sales. Tesla sells other stuff, you know. And you just know that many customers will take home souvenirs. This spreads brand awareness to family, friends. Major automakers also benefit from in-store traffic, even from recalls. Some people end up buying a new car, or opting for more elaborate service work, or picking up some all-weather mats on the way out.
-Spill-over traffic. Mall-based Tesla stores will win kudos from neighbors, for pulling in customers. Tesla, a good neighbor? Another boost to the brand.
-Possible paradox. A cattle-house atmosphere tends to hurt CSI (customer satisfaction index). TeslaMondo is writing this post on Presidents’ Day, when car dealers tend to sell a ton of cars — and suffer a knock in CSI. People don’t like to feel like livestock.
-Exposure to Model S/X. Too expensive for you? That’s okay. Just marvel at them in person anyway. Gets you pretty excited about Tesla, no?
-EV education. People will have questions about EV ownership. With any luck, they’ll leave the store feeling much more comfortable with the idea, having been set straight by a Tesla representative who, with any luck, reeks of credibility.

From Clean Technica:
Top Reasons Tesla Model 3 Reservations Starting In Stores Makes Sense
Top Reasons Tesla Model 3 Reservations Starting In Stores Makes Sense | CleanTechnica

-Personal contact. For many folks, this will be their first interaction with Tesla. It behooves them, and behooves Tesla, to have face-to-face contact. Orders made in person probably will stick better than impersonal click-to-order business.

This will be my first visit to a Tesla store even though I have been following them for two years and had a X reservation for a year. So this is a good move.

"I think most (all?) of us were just joking about making an appointment"

Per my previous reply - I wasn't - I figured it just made sense to not just walk in and expect to be served. If things go like most of us want - crowds may form at stores - so having a reservation should get you served before walk-ins.

Walk-ins definitely won't get turned away - I just preferred they knew I'd be showing up and so I could schedule my day - have a close to exact time when I could come in and place my reservation.

Are you reserving at the reveal, at a store, or online? - Page 11

• Funny
Reactions: StephenBrown2