Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you with Musk or Hawking on AI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately I've had a recurring dream. It's crazy I know, but tell me that some of you haven't had the same thought:
What if Elon has been sent back from the future to save us from catastrophe due to climate change (Tesla, solar) with the backup plan of leaving the planet (SpaceX), and while doing so he's spoon feeding us warnings about the dangers of AI - the threat of which he has already experienced in the future!
Supporting evidence would be his almost super natural business sense and ability to "see through the BS" and seemingly always be ahead of the game... Now wouldn't someone sent back from the future have insight and information that would make them seem to have this sixth sense? Just sayin'

Lately I've had a recurring dream. It's crazy I know, but tell me that some of you haven't had the same thought:
What if Elon has been sent back from the future to save us from catastrophe due to climate change (Tesla, solar) with the backup plan of leaving the planet (SpaceX), and while doing so he's spoon feeding us warnings about the dangers of AI - the threat of which he has already experienced in the future!
Supporting evidence would be his almost super natural business sense and ability to "see through the BS" and seemingly always be ahead of the game... Now wouldn't someone sent back from the future have insight and information that would make them seem to have this sixth sense? Just sayin'
Haha, that's awesome. I think you've seen Interstellar one too many times. ;)

Except in a future where AI becomes dominant Elon would not be allowed to come back. You can't outsmart the AI after all... Besides, future Elon would have known how to avoid early issues with the Roadster, the Model S, the X, and not to mention Space X. Unless that was just a complicated ruse to fool all of us :wink:

Except in a future where AI becomes dominant Elon would not be allowed to come back. You can't outsmart the AI after all... Besides, future Elon would have known how to avoid early issues with the Roadster, the Model S, the X, and not to mention Space X. Unless that was just a complicated ruse to fool all of us :wink:

He has to make his act believable, right? "Almost bankruptcy" in 2008. Everything coming down to that one launch for SpaceX. Etc etc.

Your first objection I'd counter with the fact that we might be caught in a closed time loop where cause and effect is not linear: in order for humanity to overthrow or defeat the AI in the future we need to send someone back to stop it in the past, which you could argue has already happened so in a sense we are bound to do it since it has already been done. Do you get what I mean? Very similar to the concept of Terminator 1 and John Connor.

And the concepts of a closed time loop is not something I came up with, it's actually one not very unlikely interpretation of our current understanding of physics:
Closed timelike curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, before anyone comes up with the usual objections with regards to the possibility of time travel please use 10 minutes of your time to familiarize yourself with this concept: Novikov self-consistency principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Clearly, Elon is extremely gifted in multiple areas. I regard his contributions as evidence of a Superintelligence that cares for humanity, exercises ultimate control over each newborn's DNA combination, operates beyond the normal constraints of space and time, and determines the timing of the entrance of each soul into the world. In other words, Elon like many others is God's gift to humanity.

BBC News today: Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind

Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence. He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

Elon Musk, chief executive of rocket-maker Space X, also fears artificial intelligence......In the longer term, the technology entrepreneur Elon Musk has warned that AI is "our biggest existential threat".

On the basis of that article the title of this thread is redundant.

All this angst and researchers aren't even close to building anything resembling intelligence. It's like people getting worked up about scientists creating black holes when we haven't the the first clue how to do it.
We might not be close...yet...but apparently the speed of growth snowballs. So if we don't have angst now, by the time the singularity arrives it will be too late!

Howard-Graph.png

Tripwire.png