Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aren’t these powerwalls Cool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic, but you might want to think about turning off cabin overheat protection in the garage. It's just pumping heat from the interior of the car to the exterior of the car, which is not a favorable feedback situation in a closed garage.
Agreed, but I never remember and I would need to do that every time I get home. Plus, if it is plugged in, it pulls power from the grid or my batteries if the car is fully charged.

(25.1kW Solar & 8X PW2 (57x 320w IQ7+, 7x 340w IQ7+, 12x 400w Tesla 3.8kw inverter)

I don't understand... Why microinverters AND string inverters?
Because Tesla wasn’t installing powerwalls without solar. I need more solar anyway. Enphase is superior to tesla, plus owner can rma inverter directly with enphase and do the work themselves. I shouldn’t ever have problems with my tesla inverter as it is in garage where it is cool ..

They are q-cell panels 320w, same brand as tesla uses. I specifically ask that they not put panels to the right of the AC units and the fence as I want to build a “attached” garage/shop that will be connected with a breezeway. So the breezeway will need to be cut into the roof and a door installed.
Tesla panels are on north side of roof. The 400w panel are much larger!

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpeg
    IMG_0936.jpeg
    450 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Already using all four CT slots. 2 are for site loads and the two phases of combined solar for the other 2.

My problem is that the circuit that is in question is solar by day, lights by night. So they have it measured with two sets of CTs and just through way the negative values where they don't make sense.

I have started investigating scanning the IP address of the little black box to see if I can trap what is going on with its data. Maybe I can tickle it locally to get the data. I know it's possible to get the data after the fact from the cloud, but want to avoid that.
I am not totally sure what the issue is exactly, but one solution that I have seen proposed that might work for you:

If you have a subpanel with PV generation and mixed single-phase loads, it is possible to still measure just the subfeed of that circuit at the breaker where it connects, rather than having to locate a neurio in the panel with the mixed loads and generation.

You need to relocate all single-phase breakers onto the phase that is not measured by the PV CT's. Ex. the PV CT is set on L1 phase and to measure X2 and the loads are all on L2 phase, so their draw doesn't confuse the Gateway.

Reactions: aesculus
I am not totally sure what the issue is exactly, but one solution that I have seen proposed that might work for you:

If you have a subpanel with PV generation and mixed single-phase loads, it is possible to still measure just the subfeed of that circuit at the breaker where it connects, rather than having to locate a neurio in the panel with the mixed loads and generation.

You need to relocate all single-phase breakers onto the phase that is not measured by the PV CT's. Ex. the PV CT is set on L1 phase and to measure X2 and the loads are all on L2 phase, so their draw doesn't confuse the Gateway.
Hi: I am pretty sure that is what Tesla did. I have not dived into the panel to see how the phases are lined up but they did add another CT for the same panel on the site inputs. This all works well because my production and consumption rarely happen at the same time (except for 35W of base load). I have to force it to be wrong by turning on lights during the day. Now if I plugged something in like a heater, that could screw everything up (ie reduce the solar value).

I also think Tesla added some logic to prevent each of those CTs to show the wrong direction of load (ie Solar consuming and site producing) in the back end. This I think forces only the "appropriate" CT from appearing in the app data. I am not 100% about this and when the local Tesla PM was on site they did not share what they did with him in the back end and both of us just scratched our heads. But interestingly when I put up the Powerwall-Dashboard I had to modify the server.py to do just exactly this.

• Informative
Reactions: Vines