Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas heat & parking in garage (Mini-Split in garage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added a heat pump, Mr Cool, to garage so now I park my MY in the garage. I parked my MY outside till I did. Was worried about thermal runaway. Here in Texas the car uses about four to five KWh cooling the batteries.
Car is much happier in garage with AC now. I might use 12 kWh per day cooling garage, but that is offset by what the car was using. Battery doesn’t seem to hit the cooling threshold while at work in the 110 F parking lot since I’ve started parking in garage. Some nights the car was cooling the battery while plugged in, outside. I could see it in Powerwall Dashboard.
What are you guys doing in hot climates???

Last edited:
Reactions: Scubamikey
I'm in a hot climate 90-100 F during this summer heat wave.

I have a portable AC in my garage, but only use it when working on the cars. Old school type with dual hoses (before mini-splits became the norm). Old school portables are really energy inefficient so it is never on unless I'm in the garage. If I had mini-split I'd probably keep it running to cut down on the heat and humidity.

MYP in the garage (without AC) never triggers the cooling. But when I leave it outside during the day under the hot direct sun, the cooling runs just about continuously, and might eat 4-5% battery per day. So it is always in the garage.

I think the key is you need it in the shade (at least where I live). If it is in a garage, or under a car canopy or something, then the cooling doesn't run. But when it is under the 100% full sun and UV, the cooling is running like crazy on my car. I don't think you really need to run the A/C, just keep it out of the brutal direct sun and you should be okay.

Reactions: EatsShoots
I'm in Florida and my garage would get up to maybe 95 degrees in the late afternoon and evening (side faces west). Hot but would not trigger the cabin overheat. It was however so humid in my garage, I had to run a dehumidifier, especially when it rained. Tools would develop rust right away.

Last year I installed those insulation kits onto the garage doors, and this year I had a mini-split installed. I recommend installing those kits if you don't have insulated doors. Now the dehumidifier runs much less and our garage freezer is also running much less. I doubt my electric bill will even move much. I keep it at a nice 78 in there now, lower if doing work in there. Another side benefit is we can store dry goods we bulk buy from Costco in there.

I added a heat pump, Mr Cool, to garage so now I park my MY in the garage. I parked my MY outside till I did. Was worried about thermal runaway. Here in Texas the car uses about four to five KWh cooling the batteries.
Car is much happier in garage with AC now. I might use 12 kWh per day cooling garage, but that is offset by what the car was using. Battery doesn’t seem to hit the cooling threshold while at work in the 110 F parking lot since I’ve started parking in garage. Some nights the car was cooling the battery while plugged in, outside. I could see it in Powerwall Dashboard.
What are you guys doing in hot climates???
I too have a mini split in the garage. Best decision I have made for the garage. During the heat wave over the summer, the garage was steady at 74 degrees while 110 outside. Can’t wait to get the our X! I just leave it on 74 year round and it auto heats and cools as needed. I went with Klimaire 18,000 BTU.

Reactions: 1speed
Excerpt from this document: https://modeelectrical.com.au/wp-co..._Battery_Emergency_Response_Guide_English.pdf

1696258575292.png

I would hope your garage is lower than 176F without needing an AC unit.

Reactions: 1speed and fholbert