Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arggh, another surprise price increase (red paint up another $500)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh boy.. Tesla is getting really greedy here and going to get screwed for sure.. this is not good for Tesla's future as I have never seen any other company doing like this except gas stations jacking up price during/after storm and bad weather.. terrible way to meet the 30% margin, Elon. have some business ethics don't try to rob the customers... especially for the quality of the cars lately when it comes to paint.

yeah yeah we hear it .. it is great product and if we don't like we can walk away.. lets see how long this argument will hold. More survival drama to come I guess as the year end approach.

Don't think they will ever going to sell the $35K car even with black paint.

$2,000 paint didn’t fix the mismatched Red (or White) tones on metal and plastic parts. Hopefully the $2,500 paint process fixes it. Surprised White didn’t go up by $500 since it’s the worst offender on matching color tones.

Maybe Tesla is just low on Red inventory and want to move buyers to other colors. However, wouldn’t be surprised to see White goes up to $2,500 as well.

Demand high + supply low + added difficulty of multi coat paints = pricing lever pulled

In hindsight, they probably should’ve launched with only 3-4 colors to maximize production and then added the rest later.

If we go by the demand argument, there are literally no takers for the RWD lately.. as they are calling folks to come and buy. Should the price go down on that then by start offering discounts ? I think they did that for Model S last year.

The paint they use is not something special for Tesla and ramping up paint supply shouldn't be that much of an issue considering how much paint a car takes even with multi-coats. Not like ramping up seats or any other components like displays etc which is much more difficult within the supply chain.

If we go by the demand argument, there are literally no takers for the RWD lately.. as they are calling folks to come and buy. Should the price go down on that then by start offering discounts ? I think they did that for Model S last year.

The paint they use is not something special for Tesla and ramping up paint supply shouldn't be that much of an issue considering how much paint a car takes even with multi-coats. Not like ramping up seats or any other components like displays etc which is much more difficult within the supply chain.

It’s difficult to go down market at this point given profitability goals. Going up makes sense given current demand and cost levels.

There will be a cheaper RWD soon enough in the $35k base model.

Dang, I was finally getting ready to order a P3D+ this weekend (free supercharging) and it looks like red paint went up overnight to $2,500. I don't think there was any warning about it, but I guess that's how Tesla operates. White paint is still $2,000.

My fault for waiting I guess, but still kinda frustrating to hit this at the last minute.

Wait 3 months and the price will go up about $3500 with the downgrade with the fed tax credit

Reactions: neroden
Just blatant gouging to what the market will bear at this point. I mean for Pete's sake, the color is no more complicated to apply that Mazda's new soul red (and isn't even as nice as that red...note: I have an MC red Model S)...Mazda charges a whopping $595 for it. Heck, even the "Individual" colors on BMW's M5 are only $1950.

Reactions: outie
Supply and demand...CEOs are responsible to the stockholders and shouldn’t leave money on the table. Tesla is trying very hard to show a profit this quarter, or at least this year. The survival of the company depends on it.
Supply and demand rules teach us that the higher the price the less the demand. THAT is not in Tesla's interest at the moment. Talk a look at the recent order count on Troy's spreadsheet. Reported new orders are off a cliff as it is. Higher prices will not help.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
Just blatant gouging to what the market will bear at this point. I mean for Pete's sake, the color is no more complicated to apply that Mazda's new soul red (and isn't even as nice as that red...note: I have an MC red Model S)...Mazda charges a whopping $595 for it. Heck, even the "Individual" colors on BMW's M5 are only $1950.

It’s not gouging, nobody has to choose that color. Tesla must be losing their shirt on rework costs on red cars. Body shops, especially decent ones, are not cheap. Small rework at a shop could cost as much or more than Tesla pays to paint the car at the factory.

Mazda spent years developing the process for applying that paint color with robots and has enormous resources compared to Tesla.

Maybe Tesla should hire the guy from Mazda to help them learn how to paint their cars more efficiently with fewer mistakes.

This is a lot of complaining about Tesla gouging $3000 out of people. Seems to me that you all forgot that just a couple weeks ago they lowered the price of my Dad's S by that much AFTER he ordered it since he had ordered PUP and they retroactively gave him money back. If they were going for every penny and maliciously gouging people, they would have made him and all the others pay the price they agreed upon when they purchased the car. They gave me a discount on my 2017 X as well. Things change, they make changes accordingly. If you have ordered already, they treat you well. If you haven't ordered already, well, better get on it!

Reactions: Stacks
It’s not gouging, nobody has to choose that color. Tesla must be losing their shirt on rework costs on red cars. Body shops, especially decent ones, are not cheap. Small rework at a shop could cost as much or more than Tesla pays to paint the car at the factory.

Mazda spent years developing the process for applying that paint color with robots and has enormous resources compared to Tesla.

Maybe Tesla should hire the guy from Mazda to help them learn how to paint their cars more efficiently with fewer mistakes.

Yeah, Tesla is a lot smaller. It's not like they've been painting cars MC red for the past 5 years and had a chance to get it right...oh wait...

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve