Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was asked by DMV to go get a Inspection report...so had to go to ADEQ for the inspection...though there they did not really inspect but just admired the car before giving the certificate.
You are not alone in this requirement. It seems that some DMV offices 'know' what a Tesla is and others think they have to send the car to ADEQ to be certified as an electric. Frustratingly inconsistent!

Just had a non-pleasant experience at the DMV at S Beck Ave, Chandler.

I knew I was in trouble when the DMV agent asked, what company is this (Tesla)? Then she said the VIN and make/model is not in their system. She ended up asking me to goto ADEQ to get a 'Alternative Fuel Certificate' inspection. Wasted a good 45 minutes there.

To MarkR and Sousphil, and others that do not need ADEQ inspection to get the AF plate, which DMV office did you guys visited?

I knew I was in trouble when the DMV agent asked, what company is this (Tesla)? Then she said the VIN and make/model is not in their system. She ended up asking me to goto ADEQ to get a 'Alternative Fuel Certificate' inspection. Wasted a good 45 minutes there.

To MarkR and Sousphil, and others that do not need ADEQ inspection to get the AF plate, which DMV office did you guys visited?

I went to the office in Glendale 59th Ave - no issues.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360361077.706510.jpg

Got it! Great day of joyriding :D

Scottsdale, near the airpark (just off Greenway-Hayden)

I'm gonna violate thread protocol and use this "Phoenix - Tucson Corridor" thread to insert something slightly off-topic.

Part 1:
This week, we received our Tesla Model S, 60kWh.
This coming Thursday, we're driving it from Phoenix to Las Vegas.

(pause for effect)

We have a plan, and it should work. (Long post; I apologize.) Here's the plan:

We "Range" charge Wednesday night. That should give us 200 miles. We'll drive slow, like 55 the whole way and we should be fine to Kingman.
In between Phoenix and Kingman, there is a RV park with a NEMA 14-50 plug, so we can top-off if we're getting range anxiety.

Dazzo's Country Store & RV Park
17715 S Hwy 93
Wikieup,AZ 85360
Contact Phone: (928) 765-2243
14-50 confirmed

Then
Kingman KOA
3820 North Roosevelt
Kingman, AZ 86409
Contact Info: 928-757-4397
Reserve: 800-562-3991
Email: [email protected]
I called. We can recharge there (a car did last week), but I couldn't definitively confirm they have the 14-50 outlet (she described it and it sounds exactly right, so they probably do). I emailed a photo to be sure.
I expect we'll need to spend four hours there to recharge enough to get the remaining 102 miles plus safety cushion to Vegas.

So, it's doable, but it will take all day.

BTW, this my wife's idea.

Part 2 of this post is, where we'll be staying in Vegas!
It should be very cool!

--A.

I'm gonna violate thread protocol and use this "Phoenix - Tucson Corridor" thread to insert something slightly off-topic.

Part 1:
This week, we received our Tesla Model S, 60kWh.
This coming Thursday, we're driving it from Phoenix to Las Vegas.

(pause for effect)

We have a plan, and it should work. (Long post; I apologize.) Here's the plan:

We "Range" charge Wednesday night. That should give us 200 miles. We'll drive slow, like 55 the whole way and we should be fine to Kingman.
In between Phoenix and Kingman, there is a RV park with a NEMA 14-50 plug, so we can top-off if we're getting range anxiety.

Dazzo's Country Store & RV Park
17715 S Hwy 93
Wikieup,AZ 85360
Contact Phone: (928) 765-2243
14-50 confirmed

Then
Kingman KOA
3820 North Roosevelt
Kingman, AZ 86409
Contact Info: 928-757-4397
Reserve: 800-562-3991
Email: [email protected]
I called. We can recharge there (a car did last week), but I couldn't definitively confirm they have the 14-50 outlet (she described it and it sounds exactly right, so they probably do). I emailed a photo to be sure.
I expect we'll need to spend four hours there to recharge enough to get the remaining 102 miles plus safety cushion to Vegas.

So, it's doable, but it will take all day.

BTW, this my wife's idea.

Part 2 of this post is, where we'll be staying in Vegas!
It should be very cool!

--A.
Did the Kingman KOA to Scottsdale segment at the end of December. It was a breeze, but I have an 85 kw pack, and the trip is downhill when going south. I can tell you that the KOA in Kingman was great and they do indeed have the 14-50 outlets. If spending the night there is required, they have nice little "Kabins" than will do in a pinch. I'll be at MarkR's thing tomorrow if you'd like to chat more about it.

It was a pleasure to host today's Meet, Greet, and Drink (moderately) event. We had seven Model S's and 33 enthusiasts (many of whom are anxiously awaiting delivery. It was great to swap stories and our enthusiasm for the future of automobiles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 323
Probably holds the AZ record of most MS in one place. :)

Was having a delivery walkthrough with Chris (an amazing guy!) yesterday and got a couple of tidbits to share:

1. There are probably 60 Model S in AZ, split evenly between Phoenix and Tucson.
2. The Service Center in Scottsdale most likely won't be opened in March on time.

It was a pleasure to host today's Meet, Greet, and Drink (moderately) event. We had seven Model S's and 33 enthusiasts (many of whom are anxiously awaiting delivery. It was great to swap stories and our enthusiasm for the future of automobiles.

Sad to miss this event :( Hopefully there would be another one in near future when all 33+1 (me) enthusiasts will have their car delivered!

I would love to hear how your Phoenix to Vegas trip goes, good luck! Delivery of our 85 kw is scheduled for mid March and my wife and I are looking for insight from any of you that have made some longer distance trips like this. The first trip we were thinking of is to Palm Springs-- has anyone made that trip? It is about 275 miles from North Scottsdale, could that be done without stopping to charge along the way if we kept speed down close to 55mph? Based on some the distance calculators I've seen it appears that we would make it but I'm hoping to get some real world feedback. I could potentially start in Goodyear with a full charge and I'm thinking that is what we will have to do to be safe. Does anyone know any nice resorts in Palm Springs/Palm Desert/Indian Wells area with charging stations on property?