Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spotted White Tesla yesterday on 101 Northbound around 5.30pm, right when Elon's NYTimes rebuke came on NPR. Traffic was really bad and Tesla move from far right to carpool lane and took off!

That was me! I was listening to the same NPR story and laughing the whole way North. Traffic was especially bad yesterday and it really made me appreciate the plate.

I blew past a silver Tesla on the 101 Southbound this morning (no AZ plate on that one yet). Thinking it may have been Monsoon.

We're in process of planning a similar adventure. To minimize range anxiety, I like to keep about 200 mi between charges. Our plan, at least initially, is. N. Scottsdale to Blythe KOA (50AMP) 184 mil.
Blythe to Palm Springs 120 mi. With the decline in elevation, this should be very easy..even with a/c and 75mph. Return would be stop at Blythe, and if necessary, the Palm Valley Marketplace, behind H&R Block, has a Blink charger. We're a bit concerned about decreased range due to the "Indio Hill". Resorts with EV chargers include La Quinta, Hyatt, and Esmeralda. Additionally most Walgreens' have chargers.

We're in process of planning a similar adventure. To minimize range anxiety, I like to keep about 200 mi between charges. Our plan, at least initially, is. N. Scottsdale to Blythe KOA (50AMP) 184 mil.
Blythe to Palm Springs 120 mi. With the decline in elevation, this should be very easy..even with a/c and 75mph. Return would be stop at Blythe, and if necessary, the Palm Valley Marketplace, behind H&R Block, has a Blink charger. We're a bit concerned about decreased range due to the "Indio Hill". Resorts with EV chargers include La Quinta, Hyatt, and Esmeralda. Additionally most Walgreens' have chargers.
Keep and post detailed notes. Inquiring minds want to know!:smile:

Have any Model S owners tinted their cars yet? If so, which tint shop would you recommend?

I'm getting the tint today. A "car guy" buddy strongly recommended Molina Mobile Tinting to me. The guy comes to you and does his magic while you go about your day job. He quoted $149 to me over the phone. Places like Danny's carwash charge 3x as much, or more.

Monsoon asked me to find out what brand of film he uses. I'll get back to everyone here with the results, pics included. I am getting limo tint on everything but the windshield, so not AZ legal...

Just finished with the tint job. Total was $145 and I tipped $20. The brand is Solamatrix Sun Gard Black Pearl (4%)
Molina Mobile Tinting gives 2 year warranties on the install, while it looks like the product itself has lifetime warranty.

photo (1).JPG
photo.JPG

Sousaphil, the tint looks great! His price is well below the shop I've traditionally used, and doing it "on-site" is a real plus.

[Now off topic] We made it to Las Vegas in a MS 60kWh. Learned a lot along the way about when, where, and how long to recharge, and it is entirely possible to do it in a 60 (we're here now). I'll post more after we get home (Phx) tomorrow, but here are some teasers:

1. A 15 mph headwind vs. a 15 mph tail wind has an impact. This is sometimes windy country.
  2. This time of year, daytime travel, 60 degrees outside, sunny, turn off the auto AC, and vent the outside air in at low fan setting.
  3. Top off in Wikiup, but Dazzo's Oasis and Hot Dog restaurant had a fire and there is no restaurant operating as of today. You can still recharge there on a 14-50 50amp breaker. We incurred $1.20 for about an hour's charge, but paid them $2.
  4. There is over a 1,000 ft. elevation climb from Wikiup before you reach Kingman -- we failed to account for that; but there was a lifeboat RV park within range, and a long final downhill run into Kingman.
  5. We recharged overnight at the Kingman KOA -- stayed in a private lodge.
  6. Kingman to Las Vegas is a breeze.
  7. We reverse the trip tomorrow (Saturday) morning.

Most surprisingly, I'm getting 187 miles on a full charge from my garage (standard mode); and only 197 in range charge. That extra 10 miles doesn't seem worth the battery degradation... unless you need nine more miles into Kingman.

Just finished with the tint job. Total was $145 and I tipped $20. The brand is Solamatrix Sun Gard Black Pearl (4%)
Molina Mobile Tinting gives 2 year warranties on the install, while it looks like the product itself has lifetime warranty.

View attachment 16546View attachment 16547
Looks awesome, but wonder if we need to start a Legal Defense Fund for Sousaphil's illegally dark tint. Maybe there is a Model S owner who would be willing to defend you or bail you out of jail. Enjoy, friend!

Most surprisingly, I'm getting 187 miles on a full charge from my garage (standard mode); and only 197 in range charge. That extra 10 miles doesn't seem worth the battery degradation... unless you need nine more miles into Kingman.

There have been other reports that seem to indicate that this is just a display problem and a 60 kWh range charge is actually ~208 miles - 60 kwh vs 85 khw - Page 4 for example.

MarkR, I've used The Tint Wizard in Scottsdale for my last several vehicles. He's good, but I do think he's at the higher end of pricing. Plus, you'd probably have to leave it there most of the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Posted by napabill on the Supercharger forum, Feb 10th; thought it should be here too:

"I heard from a Tesla employee this weekend that he overheard his Regional Manger saying that there are 3 sites in Arizona that should be lit off in the next 2-3 months; Blythe, Kingman, Yuma. That would cover PHX to Las Vegas, LA, and San Diego. Hope he heard correctly!"

We're at the KOA in Kingman right now recharging, returning Vegas to Phoenix today. KOA is a great option but a SuperCharger here would change everything!
Also, met up with another Model S charging here when we arrived -- that was unexpected. "Chris" is driving from L.A. to the Grand Canyon in his 85kWh.

[Off original topic]
@Banahogg, re the possible display problem, I would have to say my real-world experiences the last few days would support this theory. Range charge yields 197 projected range, but that number doesn't even budge for the first 5+ minutes of driving. 207 seems more accurate, which oddly, is very close to the 208 official rating for 60kWh battery. Hmmmm.

@Chris!howell, it was great to cross paths with you this morning. Who could have predicted that two of us, over three years ago, placed nearly identical bets, and ran into each other on a "frugal" trip at a KOA in Kingman, AZ. Fantastic! Travel safe, and let us know how your trip through AZ works out -- good or bad.

Phoenix to Las Vegas, and back to Phoenix, yep... we're back home in Phoenix. Made it all the way home today in one day (with one long recharge in Kingman, but it was nice). We really learned a lot. I'll post more specifics and photos here tomorrow, but for now I will conclude with this:

This Vegas trip was my (very conservative and frugal) wife's idea. She decided the way to confront range anxiety was to look it in the eye, and spit. Dang, we did it (remember, this is in a 60kWh), Over 582 miles across the Arizona high desert, no gasoline. Total cost of propulsion, $9.40.

Lots to share; stay tuned.