TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Armrests and seat recline - both lacking on Model X 2nd row - why??

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by calisnow, Feb 2, 2017.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

So I'm renting a Model X this week while away from home on business. Despite my prediction I'm grudgingly falling in love with it - doesn't ride as smooth as my S but it has a lot of other advantages.

Nevertheless - at this price point why don't the second row seats have adjustable recline - or at least arm rests? There is a kind of sloping ledge on the FWD for the outside arm, but no rest for the inner arm. Recline and arm rests are pretty basic items to be missing - as are rear seat pockets. I was more willing to overlook these items on the S because it's mostly a one person cruiser for me - but an X will be a family mobile.

Is there a functional reason the second row doesn't have adjustable recline - and arm rests?

• Like x 1
  2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

#2 vandacca, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    I think the reason for lacking arm rests is historic. The original design was for 3 seats in the middle row, and when it was discovered that the middle row doesn't fold flat, there was a huge public outcry that this SUV was missing a lot of Utility.

So in response, Tesla simply removed the middle seat of the 2nd row to provide more utility. This also has the advantage of greater visibility from the rear-view mirror and easier access to the 3rd row.

Interestingly, during the September 2015 reveal, there was a 7-seat prototype that had an arm rest that folded down from the middle seat. Also, there was a 6-seat prototype that had a center console, much like the first row. Neither design ever became an option available from Tesla (yet).

Rumor has it that a third-party (Evannex) is working on a 2nd row console that will be available in the next few months.

3. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

The ability to further recline the seat and arm tat are two features I wish to have

4. Screwbal

Screwbal Member

The 5 seat config the seats do recline FWIW. I played with one just before ordering mine and the 5 seat has 10 positions of angle between full up and as far back as it goes.

5. COrich

COrich Member

The middle row missing arm rests are as much a feature as a mistake. I noticed the lack of the arm rest when I was on the first test drive. My wife was driving and I sat in back to get a feel for the comfort. I got used to it, but having a bucket seat kind of primed me to have the arm rest.

But, that said, I also realized that I could put more pieces of lumber between the second row seats without the arm rests. I use my vehicles for more than just people hauling and can see that I could easily lose 6" between the seats with arm rests installed. So, I'm glad that they aren't there.

As for reclining second row seats... I've never had a car with reclining rear seats so I don't miss it at all.

6. DillyBop

DillyBop Member

absolutely agree. the Model X could be amazing if it had proper captains chairs in the 6-seat config WITH ARMRESTS.

even sitting in the 6-seat X in a showroom felt awkward. your "inner" arm just dangling there. such a half hearted design.

and yes, also inexcusable that the seats don't recline. what are they thinking?!? on long road trip, this is a must!

between these oversights and Tesla not offering the Performance Plus suspension on the Model S, i am having a real hard time pulling the trigger on either. so ridiculous.

7. mohanman

mohanman Member

second row reclines good enough and having central arm rest just takes up more room. Unnecessary.
    Mo!

8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I'm pretty sure all versions of the 2nd row have a version of reclining - the 5 seat reclines the back manually, the 6 and 7 tilt the entire seat assembly with power adjustment using the switch on the outside of the seat bases (not sure if the middle seat on a 7 reclines, though.)

9. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Um, the 2nd row seats in the MX do recline, at least on the 6 seater. The seats are super comfortable, everyone that rides in my MX comments as such.

10. K-MTG

Not as much as the front seats, it reclines very slightly.

11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

Don't they tilt, not recline? Doesn't the base move up as you tilt them back?

• Like x 1
  12. K-MTG

Tilt is a better description, yup the seat base leans back. Its all one assembly unlike the front seats

13. xcell

xcell MX Driver

Fortunately EVannex is working on a second row console for the 2-2-2 between seat 3 and 4. Why Tesla has not offered the console which has been already mounted in the their early Founders Editions remains a secret...

14. K-MTG

Thats great news, do you have any more info about this??

15. xcell

xcell MX Driver

They should come out with a removable console, hopefully something like:
    If we are lucky it should be on the market mid 2017

16. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

I've heard the same thing but Evvanex has been very quiet in the past few months regarding this so not sure if the project is not working
    I've reached out numerous times and get no answers