Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Armrests and seat recline - both lacking on Model X 2nd row - why??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm renting a Model X this week while away from home on business. Despite my prediction I'm grudgingly falling in love with it - doesn't ride as smooth as my S but it has a lot of other advantages.

Nevertheless - at this price point why don't the second row seats have adjustable recline - or at least arm rests? There is a kind of sloping ledge on the FWD for the outside arm, but no rest for the inner arm. Recline and arm rests are pretty basic items to be missing - as are rear seat pockets. I was more willing to overlook these items on the S because it's mostly a one person cruiser for me - but an X will be a family mobile.

Is there a functional reason the second row doesn't have adjustable recline - and arm rests?

Reactions: xcell
I think the reason for lacking arm rests is historic. The original design was for 3 seats in the middle row, and when it was discovered that the middle row doesn't fold flat, there was a huge public outcry that this SUV was missing a lot of Utility.

So in response, Tesla simply removed the middle seat of the 2nd row to provide more utility. This also has the advantage of greater visibility from the rear-view mirror and easier access to the 3rd row.

Interestingly, during the September 2015 reveal, there was a 7-seat prototype that had an arm rest that folded down from the middle seat. Also, there was a 6-seat prototype that had a center console, much like the first row. Neither design ever became an option available from Tesla (yet).

Rumor has it that a third-party (Evannex) is working on a 2nd row console that will be available in the next few months.

Last edited:
The middle row missing arm rests are as much a feature as a mistake. I noticed the lack of the arm rest when I was on the first test drive. My wife was driving and I sat in back to get a feel for the comfort. I got used to it, but having a bucket seat kind of primed me to have the arm rest.

But, that said, I also realized that I could put more pieces of lumber between the second row seats without the arm rests. I use my vehicles for more than just people hauling and can see that I could easily lose 6" between the seats with arm rests installed. So, I'm glad that they aren't there.

As for reclining second row seats... I've never had a car with reclining rear seats so I don't miss it at all.

So I'm renting a Model X this week while away from home on business. Despite my prediction I'm grudgingly falling in love with it - doesn't ride as smooth as my S but it has a lot of other advantages.

Nevertheless - at this price point why don't the second row seats have adjustable recline - or at least arm rests? There is a kind of sloping ledge on the FWD for the outside arm, but no rest for the inner arm. Recline and arm rests are pretty basic items to be missing - as are rear seat pockets. I was more willing to overlook these items on the S because it's mostly a one person cruiser for me - but an X will be a family mobile.

Is there a functional reason the second row doesn't have adjustable recline - and arm rests?

absolutely agree. the Model X could be amazing if it had proper captains chairs in the 6-seat config WITH ARMRESTS.

even sitting in the 6-seat X in a showroom felt awkward. your "inner" arm just dangling there. such a half hearted design.

and yes, also inexcusable that the seats don't recline. what are they thinking?!? on long road trip, this is a must!

between these oversights and Tesla not offering the Performance Plus suspension on the Model S, i am having a real hard time pulling the trigger on either. so ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure all versions of the 2nd row have a version of reclining - the 5 seat reclines the back manually, the 6 and 7 tilt the entire seat assembly with power adjustment using the switch on the outside of the seat bases (not sure if the middle seat on a 7 reclines, though.)

Fortunately EVannex is working on a second row console for the 2-2-2 between seat 3 and 4. Why Tesla has not offered the console which has been already mounted in the their early Founders Editions remains a secret...

Fortunately EVannex is working on a second row console for the 2-2-2 between seat 3 and 4. Why Tesla has not offered the console which has been already mounted in the their early Founders Editions remains a secret...

I've heard the same thing but Evvanex has been very quiet in the past few months regarding this so not sure if the project is not working
I've reached out numerous times and get no answers

I recently rented a MX for a weekend trip with some friends, but the consensus was the lack of arm rests and comfort for the middle 6 seaters was less than ideal. Passengers felt like they were slipping around in the middle seats and with no armrest, it was okward to have your hands in your laps, specially driving up HWY 50 to Tahoe.
Has anyone added fixed armrests to the middle 6 seater? I'm afraid the the wife wont let me buy one without it.

I recently rented a MX for a weekend trip with some friends, but the consensus was the lack of arm rests and comfort for the middle 6 seaters was less than ideal. Passengers felt like they were slipping around in the middle seats and with no armrest, it was okward to have your hands in your laps, specially driving up HWY 50 to Tahoe.
Has anyone added fixed armrests to the middle 6 seater? I'm afraid the the wife wont let me buy one without it.

This is EXACTLY why I went with the 6 Seat with center console when it was available on the menu. I made a YT video about it here:

Reactions: turok3000