Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arrived for delivery, car didn't match paperwork (wrong color)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willowspuppy

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2013
Maryland
Had my delivery scheduled for Friday afternoon. I arrived and went through signing paperwork, then went to see the car. I walked into a room with about 10 or so cars lined up, and only one Midnight Silver, so I started walking over to it. My delivery associate grabbed my attention and gestured toward another car that was most definitely not Midnight Silver (it was the lighter Silver Metallic). We doublechecked the VINs and it was unfortunately not the color on the config sheet. Needless to say I didn't take delivery and will now have to wait to be rematched with another vehicle.

Not the experience I was hoping for after putting down my reservation 2 and a half years ago. I'm a little miffed that the delivery center doesn't bother to check that the car actually matches the config. Would have saved me taking a couple hours off work and adding the car to my insurance unnecessarily.

Sorry to hear about that. After all the delivery stories I've read on this forum, I think this is the first time I've read of a mixup like that.

I agree, not sure how something as basic as comparing the VIN specs to your order config isn't part of their pre-delivery checklist.

Had my delivery scheduled for Friday afternoon. I arrived and went through signing paperwork, then went to see the car. I walked into a room with about 10 or so cars lined up, and only one Midnight Silver, so I started walking over to it. My delivery associate grabbed my attention and gestured toward another car that was most definitely not Midnight Silver (it was the lighter Silver Metallic). We doublechecked the VINs and it was unfortunately not the color on the config sheet. Needless to say I didn't take delivery and will now have to wait to be rematched with another vehicle.

Not the experience I was hoping for after putting down my reservation 2 and a half years ago. I'm a little miffed that the delivery center doesn't bother to check that the car actually matches the config. Would have saved me taking a couple hours off work and adding the car to my insurance unnecessarily.

NO!!! go back and tell them you think thats my car!:)o_O

Sorry to hear about that. After all the delivery stories I've read on this forum, I think this is the first time I've read of a mixup like that.

I agree, not sure how something as basic as comparing the VIN specs to your order config isn't part of their pre-delivery checklist.

Actually I've read this at least 3-4 times on this forum alone. (Car was wrong color)

I wonder, did you ever change your mind (edit button) on color at all? Every time I've seen this happen I wonder how that is even possible. Either way it is Tesla's fault of course.

Are you the guy that called into Ride the Lightning? If so, what kind of question is “do you think Tesla should do something to fix this?” :)

But seriously, have they escalated it?

Wasn't me. Honestly I don't know if they've done anything to escalate it. It was late Friday and me ISA didn't call me back yet. Will hopefully talk to him Monday.