TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Article: "HAL Is My Co-Pilot" or, why AutoPilot is going to save lives

Discussion in 'Model S' started by eco5280, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Oct 1, 2014
    San Rafael, CA
    Good read. Thanks Eco.
  2. Victory

Victory Member

Nov 11, 2014
    United States
    Interesting read, though I'm not entirely convinced

I read that at a hacker conference in Las Vegas, someone was able to successfully hack into a vehicle and slam on its brakes remotely. That kind of stuff scares me
  3. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Mar 27, 2014
    #4 eco5280, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    I wouldn't worry. From the article about the hacked car from the Vegas conference: "While they discovered numerous potential exploits, they also found the hacks needed to open the cars’ computers to mischief to be time-consuming, expensive, and difficult. Don’t expect your Bluetooth-enabled 2015 Cadillac Escalade — vulnerable though it may be to theoretical attacks — to be maliciously transformed into a spam botnet ..." They are basically saying that it takes so much time and money and effort that maybe a dignitary's vehicle might be a target but nobody else. And if cars started getting hacked, the mfr's would recall them and add a simple AES-256 pass or two and add a few decades to the hacking time :)