Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles/megaposts by sleepyhead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Order now and wait 6 month or order 6 months from now and wait a lot longer.

I'm certain that China demand is huge, but what he said in the conference call is that if you wait to order, all it will do is make you get your car later. This is standard procedure, and was similar with the Model S - people who ordered the Model S in 2009 got their car in mid-2012, which means a 3 year wait. But people who ordered their car in mid-2012 got their car in mid-2013 - which means they got their car a year later than the people who ordered it in 2009. Basically, the longer you wait to order your car, the longer you'll be waiting to get the car. Also, the line in China is only getting longer, and quite quickly since it's getting closer and closer to production. It's likely that the line will be getting longer at a faster rate than they can ship cars, at least to start, such that the wait time will keep increasing even a couple months after the car has been launched there.

But I don't think that CC thing was anything surprising. It was just a general forecast on how things will go, based on how things went with the Model S here and perhaps also in Europe. I wouldn't read it as a confirmation of anything.

That said, Chinese demand will be huge. I'd bet on it. Oh wait, I have, I'm all-in on TSLA.

I'm certain that China demand is huge, but what he said in the conference call is that if you wait to order, all it will do is make you get your car later. This is standard procedure, and was similar with the Model S - people who ordered the Model S in 2009 got their car in mid-2012, which means a 3 year wait. But people who ordered their car in mid-2012 got their car in mid-2013 - which means they got their car a year later than the people who ordered it in 2009. Basically, the longer you wait to order your car, the longer you'll be waiting to get the car. Also, the line in China is only getting longer, and quite quickly since it's getting closer and closer to production. It's likely that the line will be getting longer at a faster rate than they can ship cars, at least to start, such that the wait time will keep increasing even a couple months after the car has been launched there.

But I don't think that CC thing was anything surprising. It was just a general forecast on how things will go, based on how things went with the Model S here and perhaps also in Europe. I wouldn't read it as a confirmation of anything.

That said, Chinese demand will be huge. I'd bet on it. Oh wait, I have, I'm all-in on TSLA.

Here is exactly what Elon said on China:

If you order a car for delivery in China right now, you would probably get it in mid to late Q2. I mean I would certainly recommend anyone in China who does want to order a car to place their order fairly soon, because I mean it looks like that wait time maybe accelerating. In other words, the longer you wait, the longer you will have to wait. At least that's what it looks like.

He also said that they will start shipping cars in January, so first deliveries will be in February or three to four months from the Q3 ER date. They said that initial demand is pretty good too. Therefore, lets assume that if you ordered a car on Q3 ER date it would take 6 months to get it in China. The way that I interpreted this message from Elon is that if you wait until February to order the car then you might have to wait a lot more than 6 months (from order date to delivery) before you get your car; i.e. "accelerating" wait time.

The way I interpret this is that demand is so big in China that the wait times will get even bigger after initial deliveries, unlike in the US or Europe where the wait times decreased after initial deliveries as TSLA worked through the backlog.

My guess is that they plan on shipping roughly 1,000 cars/month to China and that orders are coming in at a much faster rate than that. And that every day brings in more orders than the previous day.

To me this is Elon confirming that demand in China is huge. It went completely unnoticed by the media and analysts, but one day it will become official that demand in China is huge and then the stock will go crazy.

Thanks for the posts sleepy. I think China might be the reason why Tesla had to delay alot of the shipments to Norway by 2 months. If you order from Norway now, you will get it in May at best.

Alot of people I speak to say they are not ordering the cars because of the waiting list. I would love to see Teslas worldwide demand.

You the man sleepy! I am also an accounting major who finds finance and stocks far more interesting than GAAP. I bought my first stock less than 2 years ago, so I don't feel confident sharing knowledge, but I do hope that in the distant future I too will be able to disseminate credible trade tips like you. Since no one else mentioned this, your negative Tesla catalysit of a $97 Goldman PT made me burst out laughing :)

And vice versa!

BTW, I have lost paper profits over the past month like everybody else here. My portfolio was down 50% in two weeks before TSLA saved me a little. That is my strategy: up 200% down 50%, up 300% down 60%. I just hope that my strategy works in the end. I am learning a lot of new trading strategies form experiencing with different trades. I just make up my own trading strategies and feel like I am making better decisions with each passing day. My portfolio experiences huge volatility, but I think there is a potentially bigger payoff in the end (or bigger loss).

In a vacuum my individual trade may seem idiotic, but when you take all of my trades and open positions into account across all portfolios then each individual purchase is just a piece of my overall investment puzzle. That is why I don't like to share individual trades with people here. I make some trades that I hope end up losers, so I wouldn't want any one following me into that trade.

Fortune favors the bold, but the one who has a strategy. You will succeed.

Here is exactly what Elon said on China:

If you order a car for delivery in China right now, you would probably get it in mid to late Q2. I mean I would certainly recommend anyone in China who does want to order a car to place their order fairly soon, because I mean it looks like that wait time maybe accelerating. In other words, the longer you wait, the longer you will have to wait. At least that's what it looks like.

He also said that they will start shipping cars in January, so first deliveries will be in February or three to four months from the Q3 ER date. They said that initial demand is pretty good too. Therefore, lets assume that if you ordered a car on Q3 ER date it would take 6 months to get it in China. The way that I interpreted this message from Elon is that if you wait until February to order the car then you might have to wait a lot more than 6 months (from order date to delivery) before you get your car; i.e. "accelerating" wait time.

The way I interpret this is that demand is so big in China that the wait times will get even bigger after initial deliveries, unlike in the US or Europe where the wait times decreased after initial deliveries as TSLA worked through the backlog.

My guess is that they plan on shipping roughly 1,000 cars/month to China and that orders are coming in at a much faster rate than that. And that every day brings in more orders than the previous day.

To me this is Elon confirming that demand in China is huge. It went completely unnoticed by the media and analysts, but one day it will become official that demand in China is huge and then the stock will go crazy.

Be very cautious with the china story. So many companies had their stocks crushed due to unrealized Chinese dreams. Took Apple how long to get the China Mobil deal (still not done). If u are counting on china being a catalyst for tesla... Don't.

I think folks are parsing Elons words too finely... He's not the fed chairman, and given his propensity to speak off the cuff, I suspect he's not choosing his words as carefully as you folks are reading his words.

I think folks are parsing Elons words too finely... He's not the fed chairman, and given his propensity to speak off the cuff, I suspect he's not choosing his words as carefully as you folks are reading his words.

I understand what you are saying, but please read these words one more time:

if you order a car for delivery in China right now, you would probably get it in mid to late Q2. I mean I would certainly recommend anyone in China who does want to order a car to place their order fairly soon, because I mean it looks like that wait time maybe accelerating. In other words, the longer you wait, the longer you will have to wait. At least that's what it looks like.

It sounds pretty black and white to me, and leaves no room for interpretation: Elon is saying that if you order now (Nov. 5) then you will get it in May or June. Therefore you will be waiting 7 months if you order today. If you wait 7 months to order then you will be waiting a lot longer than 7 months (from the date you ordered) before you get your car. So if you order your car in April 2014, then you will not get it until some time in 2015.

It seems pretty clear to me that demand in China is Huge, and I have already done my own research on this topic. I have concluded that demand in China is huge, and now Elon basically confirmed it as well. Elon is saying that demand is huge and that orders are coming in at an accelerated pace, i.e. more orders today than the day before.

Betting on TSLA because of Chinese demand is exactly what I am doing. That is how I like to invest. I see China as a 90% certainty (demand is huge, but there may be some unforeseen political risks or other force majeur events), and the market is not pricing this in at all. If I am correct then I will be riding TSLA all the way up until the market finally realizes this as well.

Be very cautious with the china story. So many companies had their stocks crushed due to unrealized Chinese dreams. Took Apple how long to get the China Mobil deal (still not done). If u are counting on china being a catalyst for tesla... Don't.

If that means it is bit priced in I am buying more. Tesla success in china is a nobrainer. They love EVs, they love american cars, they are rich etc. Why should not I be 100% on China?

I understand what you are saying, but please read these words one more time:

if you order a car for delivery in China right now, you would probably get it in mid to late Q2. I mean I would certainly recommend anyone in China who does want to order a car to place their order fairly soon, because I mean it looks like that wait time maybe accelerating. In other words, the longer you wait, the longer you will have to wait. At least that's what it looks like.

It sounds pretty black and white to me, and leaves no room for interpretation: Elon is saying that if you order now (Nov. 5) then you will get it in May or June. Therefore you will be waiting 7 months if you order today. If you wait 7 months to order then you will be waiting a lot longer than 7 months (from the date you ordered) before you get your car. So if you order your car in April 2014, then you will not get it until some time in 2015.

It seems pretty clear to me that demand in China is Huge, and I have already done my own research on this topic. I have concluded that demand in China is huge, and now Elon basically confirmed it as well. Elon is saying that demand is huge and that orders are coming in at an accelerated pace, i.e. more orders today than the day before.

Betting on TSLA because of Chinese demand is exactly what I am doing. That is how I like to invest. I see China as a 90% certainty (demand is huge, but there may be some unforeseen political risks or other force majeur events), and the market is not pricing this in at all. If I am correct then I will be riding TSLA all the way up until the market finally realizes this as well.

Is there any other way for the CEO of Tesla to discuss demand in China? or demand anywhere? He said "if you want a car, place your order early, because it may sell out." Infomercials say the same thing. If you think Chinese government will let Tesla build out the same supercharger network as it USA and Europe, then I suspect you are underestimating the risk.

1. Tesla without the supercharger network is crippled.
2. supercharger network (across china or just industrialized region) is part of China's next-gen clean energy infrastructure. You think Chinese government will let an American company lead the way building this infrastructure?

Not saying there's no demand or low demand. There is high demand in china for everything western (from food to cloths, now cars). But as an investor, you have plenty of cases where the China bull cases has not worked out as an investment thesis.

All this aside, remember the fall from $190 to $120? Its not due to the demand, it's due to supply. China demand will just make the demand worse. Last time I checked, WallStreet is not happy the giga factory plan.

A successful investor is an honest investor. This board is not honest with itself. It feeds off of a few cheerleaders that admit to taking %50 losses. yes, then of course you'll need 400% increases after that, because it'll take you 100% just to break even. Nothing is black or white. Shades of gray is real life. Your research in china pointed you to Electric Bikes? do you know that electric bikes are very very popular in china righ tnow? A few american companies are posed to enter that market.

1. Tesla without the supercharger network is crippled.
2. supercharger network (across china or just industrialized region) is part of China's next-gen clean energy infrastructure. You think Chinese government will let an American company lead the way building this infrastructure?

IMO the answer to this question is: yes if in China they have not a Chinese competitor to Tesla.

It's actually a misconception that you need actual light to generate power. The radiation cutting through particles is a different story.

The Chinese government has a very serious problem on its hands with pollution because of pollution build up and government negligence and corruption. Because of technology and globalization it's becoming harder for the government to hide things and some are beginning to realize how stupid they were to do this. To save face, I wouldn't be surprised if they have secretly contacted Musk to help them. These deals would happen behind closed doors.

What Tesla has to do with the Model S is make sure that it has the luxury aura because that is what matters for that market. If it isn't exclusive sales will suffer. What I do see happening is a mandate where government officials have to use Tesla limos to send out a message and set the tone. That and extra incentives for driving electric (such as you can drive on no-smog day in Beijing). Kandi will take care of the mass market, but it is nowhere near what Tesla has on its hands. The Model E will come at a good time because of the upward mobility of China, but this will take a serious amount of time.

I do not generally agree with brysondad, but he's right. There isn't anything special in the china comments. He's saying order now or wait more later. This was the case with early model s orders too, and will probably be the case even moreso in a country where the cars aren't being built. This is not a hint on china demand.

But like I said last time, I'm still betting big on china demand. It will be crazy huge. But that is not what Elon is saying here.

It's actually a misconception that you need actual light to generate power. The radiation cutting through particles is a different story.

You need direct sunlight to create power. What you are referring to creates voltage which even lightning flashes and a bright moon night will do, however there is no amperage to it which means 0 power.

Cloudy rainy overcast days usually produce about 5-10% of the max potential because even in those conditions some of the irradiance makes it through. On days like that the panels will actually have a higher voltage than on a clear day because they are cooler and they are not as heavily loaded with amperage.

Scattered light particles have lost most of their energy, which is why a leafless tree shading panels in the winter is still calculated as a total loss. If I recall correctly smog is much more dense than water vapor and would block a lot more irradiance than normal clouds and rain.

Judging by the smog picture in the article I would estimate that about 1-2% of the energy is making it through to the ground.

I do not generally agree with brysondad, but he's right. There isn't anything special in the china comments. He's saying order now or wait more later. This was the case with early model s orders too, and will probably be the case even moreso in a country where the cars aren't being built. This is not a hint on china demand.

But like I said last time, I'm still betting big on china demand. It will be crazy huge. But that is not what Elon is saying here.

1. Not many people here agree with brysondad, because all of his posts on TMC have one goal in common and that is to spread doubt and point out negatives on TSLA the stock. All of his posts look for negatives on TSLA. He is probably short the stock (which I have no problem with) and only talks negatively about the stock.

Even though I was familiar with his previous posts I decided to respond to him politely. But he followed with a snarky comment that can be taken as an attack, so I will be ignoring him from now on.

2. You cannot say that "he's right". You are now talking in absolutes here, so if you want to do that then I can play that way too and say that you are wrong; both of you.

3. Here is what you wrote and you are clearly wrong (now that we are talking in absolutes):

That is not what Elon said. This is what he said:

1."accelerating" demand means that orders are coming in faster than the day before.

2. "the longer you wait, the longer you will have to wait" means that you will have to wait 7 months if you order today (from order date to delivery). If you order next month, then you might have to wait 9 months (or at least more than 7 months from order date to delivery).

while you are "interpreting" it this way:

people who ordered the Model S in 2009 got their car in mid-2012, which means a 3 year wait. But people who ordered their car in mid-2012 got their car in mid-2013 - which means they got their car a year later than the people who ordered it in 2009

And you are wrong, because that is not what Elon is saying. He would not have gone through the trouble of using words like "accelerating" demand or "In other words, the longer you wait, the longer you will have to wait. At least that's what it looks like." If Elon meant what you are trying to say than it makes no sense to qualify that statement with "at least that's what it looks like"

I am sorry but what you are saying makes absolutely no common sense at all. Of course it is obvious that if you order a Model S today you will get it sooner than the guy who orders one tomorrow or next month (in most cases) or next year. You are making no sense at all, absolutely none.

Last edited:

You need direct sunlight to create power. What you are referring to creates voltage which even lightning flashes and a bright moon night will do, however there is no amperage to it which means 0 power.

Cloudy rainy overcast days usually produce about 5-10% of the max potential

Yeah you're both right. Solar PV produces even without direct sunlight but reduced to 50% or less, even down to 1%, depending on the density of the scattering medium. But regardless, I was just joking with irony (vs choking with smaug). Clearly (punn intended) they would be putting Solar Fields in the countryside anyway, not because of less pollution, but simple space-cost efficiency vs transmission loss. Anybody putting a major Power Plant Solar Field downtown anywhere, might as well cover the panels with RayBans (also punn intended) for the cool factor...

Last edited: