Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

artsci's Model S modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carbon Fiber Vinyl installed today by Lyle, wish the sun was out for the photo's

View attachment 19405

Great pics....just what I've been waiting to see. Couple of questions for you:

1. How long did it take Kyle to do?
2. How long did he say it will hold up?
3. Did he do something special to have it adhere to the plastic grey areas beyond what you do for a normal wrap? I ask because many installers have said a wrap won't stick.
4. Does Kyle provide some sort of warranty?
5. Any special cleaning instructions?
6. What did it cost? I know you may not want to post here so feel free to pm me if that would be more comfortable.

Really appreciate all the info in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics....just what I've been waiting to see. Couple of questions for you:

1. How long did it take Kyle to do?
2. How long did he say it will hold up?
3. Did he do something special to have it adhere to the plastic grey areas beyond what you do for a normal wrap? I ask because many installers have said a wrap won't stick.
4. Does Kyle provide some sort of warranty?
5. Any special cleaning instructions?
6. What did it cost? I know you may not want to post here so feel free to pm me if that would be more comfortable.

Really appreciate all the info in advance

Happy to answer here, makes it easier for everyone who are also curious.

So he ran late because his babysitter didn't show so he started late on my wrap and had a few jobs that day so he had my Model S from around 10am and I picked it up at 6:30pm, he said the install would take about 4 or 5 hours but ran out of time to do the nose cone and completed the rear skirt... Next time! :)

With care and garaging it should hold for 4 to 5 years or more he said. At what I paid for the work, I think I wouldn't mind bringing it back to him after several years to get it redone if I don't like how it looks.

No special cleaning instructions and no special adhesives, in fact they use this new stuff that they said will peal off super easy and leave no adhesive behind if removed within the 4 to 5 years. After that it gets a bit sticky one of the installers told me.

Because its Vinyl, it wipes clean and easy, you wash it like you would the rest of the car.

I didn't ask about a warrantee but I will and get back to you.

For all the work he did so far, it ran me $650, really reasonable I think and at that price it doesn't bother me to replace it again down the road or maybe even change it up later if it get tired of it. :)

Hope that all helps?

Additional shots from further away...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364917580.617337.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364917595.331677.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364917605.115004.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364917615.032062.jpg

Happy to answer here, makes it easier for everyone who are also curious.

So he ran late because his babysitter didn't show so he started late on my wrap and had a few jobs that day so he had my Model S from around 10am and I picked it up at 6:30pm, he said the install would take about 4 or 5 hours but ran out of time to do the nose cone and completed the rear skirt... Next time! :)

With care and garaging it should hold for 4 to 5 years or more he said. At what I paid for the work, I think I wouldn't mind bringing it back to him after several years to get it redone if I don't like how it looks.

No special cleaning instructions and no special adhesives, in fact they use this new stuff that they said will peal off super easy and leave no adhesive behind if removed within the 4 to 5 years. After that it gets a bit sticky one of the installers told me.

Because its Vinyl, it wipes clean and easy, you wash it like you would the rest of the car.

I didn't ask about a warrantee but I will and get back to you.

For all the work he did so far, it ran me $650, really reasonable I think and at that price it doesn't bother me to replace it again down the road or maybe even change it up later if it get tired of it. :)

Hope that all helps?

Very helpful BYT, thank you for taking the time. When he did the wrap did he first remove the parts so that he can tuck in the Vinyl or did he do it while sitting on the car? Also, was the $650 including the nose cone or without?

BTW, your CAV stickers blend in well with the paint color. I have a black car so am dreading putting them on. Will ask Lyle if he can think of a way to make them removable so I can have them on during the week and off during the weekend.

Very helpful BYT, thank you for taking the time. When he did the wrap did he first remove the parts so that he can tuck in the Vinyl or did he do it while sitting on the car? Also, was the $650 including the nose cone or without?

BTW, your CAV stickers blend in well with the paint color. I have a black car so am dreading putting them on. Will ask Lyle if he can think of a way to make them removable so I can have them on during the week and off during the weekend.

Thanks! I have a feeling he did it with the parts still on the car, I didn't get the impression that he had to remove them but from the look of the wrap on the rear and the front, they may have had to. I put my HOV tag's on the extra protection film that Tesla Menlo Park gave me so that I can easily remove it in the future when they are no longer valid. The $650 was for the work you see, the nose cone and the rest of the skirt will be a bit more to do, maybe between ~$400 and $450 more, I'm guessing based on his previous quotes.

Thanks! I have a feeling he did it with the parts still on the car, I didn't get the impression that he had to remove them but from the look of the wrap on the rear and the front, they may have had to. I put my HOV tag's on the extra protection film that Tesla Menlo Park gave me so that I can easily remove it in the future when they are no longer valid. The $650 was for the work you see, the nose cone and the rest of the skirt will be a bit more to do, maybe between ~$400 and $450 more, I'm guessing based on his previous quotes.

Thanks BYT

Looks very cool. Chrome tone down was a key for me - less Jaguar/Infinity for me. I used Lyle to do that, only difference was that I also didn't like the stock wheel color so I had those powder coated. Needs a cleaning and some better pics, but here you...

photo (1).JPG
photo.JPG

Got the car back on Wednesday, and the PPF and tint job turned out awesome. When I went to pick up, there was a white Model S in to have work done as well.

Paint protection film on everything that is painted, as well as the headlamps and nosecone. They rolled the film under the hood and body panels where they easily could, so there's no noticeable lines. There's really only two places where they had to make cuts to work around the body lines, and that's down on the lower bumper where the support beams for the lower opening are. Again, you'd have to really be looking for it to find it. The trunk was done as one piece, so they removed the spoiler (also wrapped) and the Tesla T logo. They weren't able to do the rocker panels. They attempted to put it on, but once it dried, it turned a cloudy white.

Tint is 45% (Spectra Photosync Nano tint) all the way around, with 75% on the front windshield. I originally was going to go with 55%, but with all the light coming in from the pano, I wanted it to be a bit darker. And since the shade for the pano roof is still MIA for the foreseeable future, I wanted to go for something darker now. Only caveat to the film (especially on the front windshield) is that if you like polarized lenses, it'll look weird when you are driving. I'm also happy because you can't even tell there is anything on the windshield, so it doesn't stand out to CHP.
View attachment 19265

View attachment 19264

More pics here that I quickly uploaded at higher resolution.
Tint and PPF | Blk Nja Photos

I still want to tone down the chrome a bit. It'll be either black or a dark gray to match the wheels for contrast. I need to do some more research on that. Other than that, really happy with the work done by Premier. Professional work, excellent craftsmanship. While the price might be on the higher end of the spectrum, based on looking at the finished product, I definitely feel I got what I paid for.

Now all I need is somebody to make authentic aftermarket carbon fiber pieces for the front chin spoiler, rear diffuser and rocker panels. I'd definitely pay for aftermarket carbon fiber bits for the Model S to go along with the carbon fiber spoiler. :biggrin:

Updates from Lyle:
"The wrap will last a good 5 years...have a 4 year warranty against bubbling, cracking and edge peeling. We didn't remove any of the pieces to wrap them. The nose cone will run $200 and the rear skirt pieces will run $80"

So that answers all the open questions! :)

Where did you get the rims powder coated black and what did that run?

Any benefit of putting PPF over the carbon fiber wrap in terms of replicating the feel of real carbon fiber (I am getting the P85 so it will match the spoiler) or keeping the carbon fiber wrap in place (longer than 4-5 years) and looking good longer? Great post and I look forward to having my car done when it arrives in mid-May. Thanks all!

Any benefit of putting PPF over the carbon fiber wrap in terms of replicating the feel of real carbon fiber (I am getting the P85 so it will match the spoiler) or keeping the carbon fiber wrap in place (longer than 4-5 years) and looking good longer? Great post and I look forward to having my car done when it arrives in mid-May. Thanks all!

I asked this particular question specifically as well!! The reply to putting PPF over the CF wrap was, "No, It kinda hides the depth of the cf"

You can feel the groves and pattern of the CF wrap, but unless your running your fingers on it, it looks shiny and matches pretty well to my CF license plate frame. Can't wait to get the spoiler on to complete the look.

Updates from Lyle:
"The wrap will last a good 5 years...have a 4 year warranty against bubbling, cracking and edge peeling. We didn't remove any of the pieces to wrap them. The nose cone will run $200 and the rear skirt pieces will run $80"

So that answers all the open questions! :)

Where did you get the rims powder coated black and what did that run?

West Coast Powder Coat - AJ is the guy and he has you work a deal with Hanlon Tires. I believe it ended up costing $750 all in to leave the car at Hanlon for the day remove wheels/deliver to AJ/pick up/reinstall. Very pleased with the work.

Very nice and thanks for the info! After this set of Mods are done, I'll look to darken the kicks in my Model S! The "S" stands for SICK!! ;)

Thanks, man. Yours too. I'll look out for you on the roads!

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone install an aftermarket amplifier or stereo yet? I'm a little bit concerned considering the small 12V battery and the issues people have had with it. What about adding an Optima battery as well?

Check on the Dr. Tara's thread: I believe they go pretty deep on the 12v battery - supposedly it is not an issue at all....