Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

artsci's Model S modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting that this "hose" exists, with no wires in it and as of now no apparent function. I can think of some reasons:
- General future proofing, in case some time in the future they want to add some kind of feature to the frunk that requires wiring through here.
- Something specific that they have planned for the future, but what? Does it have anything to do with Elon's latest tweet? Quick swap extra battery in the frunk with a connector unit mounted in the recessed back part of the frunk and wires going through here???

What was the dimension of this cable hose, and where does it end up exactly?

I'll measure the diameter when I drill the hole. As I said, it ends up behind the touchscreen near the back side of the cubby.

The Audi was particularly disappointing, for whatever reason, despite being made in the country that invented the U-Boat, my car was never watertight and would greet me in the AM with sound of water sloshing after being driven in a heavy rain.

Well, a lot of U-Boats leaked water as well. Though in fairness, not all of the U-Boat leaks were the fault of the designers.

The best laid plans... When I successfully drilled the hole in the firewall I started to push the cables through. Even though they went in I saw nothing on the inside of the car. When I inspected the hole more carefully from the frunk side I realized there's a double wall.

Here are two photos taken after the first hole was cut and the cable threaded through. If you look closely at the first photo you'll see a solid background -- the second wall.

DSC_3369.JPG

DSC_3373.JPG

So I pulled out my drill and put a same size hole in the 2nd wall. But after the hole was cut I encountered light blue material behind the hole -- what appears to be insulation of some kind. The photo below shows that and the two walls. So now I'm tearing my hair out.

DSC_3376.JPG

Just at that moment I was looking for a solution a thunderstorm threatened, so I had to pack in in for the day and wait until tomorrow to figure all of this out. In the meantime any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome.

These next photos show the space that the cubby fits into and what behind it. There's a diagnostic cable of some kind show in the photos, which fits behind the cubby and drops out when the cubby is removed.

View attachment 21838

Interesting connector. Methinks I may have seen it somewhere before.

Can you get a picture of the socket itself (front, looking into it, and back, where wires go into it)? Does it look anything like:

can_connector.jpg

Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/vehicle/Car Module/TeslaRoadster/can_connector.jpg at master · markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System · GitHub

Thanks, Mark

I am guessing that the first plate you drilled through was *not* the firewall. From what I've read firewalls are usually 2 plates with insulation between them. Likely that blue stuff is NVH insulation. (noise, vibration, harshness)) whose purpose is to keep excessive engine noise/sounds from coming into the passenger compartment and well as reduce the heat transfer from engine compartment to the passenger compartment (not like that matters much on the Model S, lol). You probably have another plate to go through before being able to run those wires. You are going to use a rubber grommet and not just shove the wires through on the bare metal edges, right? IMO I would think your safe to punch all the way through. Looking at the first responder's guide, I don't think you have any high voltage stuff running through that area. I'm not a car expert though so this is purely just my 2c.

Owners, there is an easier way that I posted previously in the Radar installation thread. On the right side of the car, above the battery and just inside of the air box for the cabin are there are two ~ #6 wires going through a gromet about 3 inches down from the base of the windshield. These are orange and supply power for the heater. I was able to punch a hold just adjacent to these wires and gave pleanty of room to pass any wires into the cabin. Much easier and safer IMO. Not Drill baby Drill !

Owners, there is an easier way that I posted previously in the Radar installation thread. On the right side of the car, above the battery and just inside of the air box for the cabin are there are two ~ #6 wires going through a gromet about 3 inches down from the base of the windshield. These are orange and supply power for the heater. I was able to punch a hold just adjacent to these wires and gave pleanty of room to pass any wires into the cabin. Much easier and safer IMO. Not Drill baby Drill !

Lloyd, that makes sense, those orange wires are high voltage from the pack (400VDC), and likely come from the DC-DC inverter, that is built into the area just behind the front right wheel well (This can be seen in the "First Responder" video, where they show how to move the dashboard up and out of the way). Just make sure you don't damage any "orange" cables :)