Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Assistance in making a decision.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have been looking to buy a Tesla since first announced but I can't imagine spending that amount of money on a car, so I never did. I live in Michigan and there are not any incentives (other than fed) , plus I would like to retire someday:)

Anyway, I think they are now at the price where I don't mind having a toy to play with. I say toy because both my wife and I have company provided vehicles and it will only be used for around the town driving.

So my question is, I have a deposit down on a 2013 p85 with the tech pkg. 35000 miles and it is roughly $40,000 from a dealer. I am also looking at a 2015 70D autopilot with about 25000 miles for about $52000. Finally a 2014 60 with tech pkg no autopilot with about 36000 miles but an extended warranty for about $40000, also from a dealer.

I feel the 85 is the best bang for the buck but with no warranty. I feel I am better off with the 70D becasue of the remaining 2 year warranty (plus I think I could buy the extended before the original runs out??). But for $12,000 difference I could take a flyer on the 85 and hope nothing goes wrong before I sell it.

Any ideas? I know everyone on here suggests getting a CPO but the closest in price I find now are 2014 60's with fewer options.

Thanks

Were the 2015 70D's unlockable to 75? If so, you may be able to update the range, or at the very least have a higher ceiling on what your "90%" charge is on the actual battery. I know S40 owners regularly charge to 100% knowing it's an actual 80% charge so no worry of battery health issues long term. Also, if the 70 can be unlocked, it might be able to be uncorked (though less liekly, I believe uncorking is a very recent hardware thing) bit if it can be uncorked it will perform pretty much exactly like the P85.

Were the 2015 70D's unlockable to 75? If so, you may be able to update the range, or at the very least have a higher ceiling on what your "90%" charge is on the actual battery. I know S40 owners regularly charge to 100% knowing it's an actual 80% charge so no worry of battery health issues long term. Also, if the 70 can be unlocked, it might be able to be uncorked (though less liekly, I believe uncorking is a very recent hardware thing) bit if it can be uncorked it will perform pretty much exactly like the P85.

Only the facelift 2016 70D's are possibly unlockable.

In this scenario 70D no question.

I sold my 2013 S85 when I got my 2015 70D and it’s a much different (better car).

For that ~$12k you get:
Autopilot (tacc, summon, auto steer)
Dual Motor All Wheel Drive
Parking sensors
Power folding mirrors
Signal light and cruise control stalk in a more “intuitive” location
Remainder of factory warranty
Possibly next gen seats /center console depending on config of car you’re looking at
Better build quality - starting in early 2015 the build quality considerably improved and cars had less issues (not perfect but less)
Better potential resale than a pre-AP car

As others have said - if you buy from a dealer and not Tesla or private party then there is no shot of purchasing extended warranty.

Definately get the 70D with autopilot. I live in Ohio and we need the all wheel drive up here in the rain and snow. I love the autopilot, I use mine 99% of the time I drive. It is not self driving, but it is still really cool and better than any other car's lane keeping and adaptive cruise control.

Reactions: JPUConn
...I don't mind having a toy to play with. I say toy because both my wife and I have company provided vehicles and it will only be used for around the town driving...
I love my Model S and plan to put a million miles on it at 50,000 per year for 20 years. I drive it every day. That said, if my wife and I had two company cars and our companies would let us run personal errands in them and simply buy that mileage personally, I would save my money until at least you had enough to get a CPO uncorked (facelift) 75D. I might even compound the interest for twenty years and get a new roadster. Just seems expensive to have one for special occasions.

Dual Motor All Wheel Drive

I wish I had purchased the dual motor.

I don't think I'll ever buy another car without all-wheel drive after having a few dual-motor Tesla loaners.

The car literally sticks to the road. You don't get that with rear-wheel drive.

I didn't think I would need it in South Florida, however rain or shine, it is better and the difference is noticeable.

From what I understand, your tires will wear more evenly as well.

Get the 70D.
The autopilot will be fun, and the dual motor will be handy somewhere like Michigan.
Don't forget, the total cost of the car is the buy price minus the sell price.
You'll probably lose about the same amount of money on any of the cars you mention.