Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big decision....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
I bought my 2014 Model S 60 non tech pkg FUSC and free premium connectivity from Tesla (was a service loaner with 12k kms on it) back in Jan 2015.....fast fwd to today, car has 295,000kms on it. I'm getting concerned about the battery pack and drive unit, hearing more and more about $20k pack replacements, which would crush me. I'm not wealthy, and I usually own cars for 12 to 14 years.

My car has been pretty good, drive unit under warranty early on, few door handles, charge port once, fuse in battery pack recently, some suspension work, and I upgraded it to mcu2 a couple years ago.

I could sell it now and probably get 20k for it and put that towards a Model Y, or keep rolling the dice and try and get another 3 or 4 years out of it.

Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: DuncanM
Wow that's a lot of km! Reading the National Post and I would have thought that EVs can only go about 30,000 km before needing to go to the landfill!

All jokes aside, if I was in your situation I would probably trade it in. A Model Y would be very nice and then you get warranty again, although of course you'd be spending more than $20k to trade, so with every car it really comes down to whether you want to keep it or not. You won't be saving any money trading it. Even if your battery died it would be less expensive to repair your current car than buy a new one. It just always comes down to whether the risk is worth it, or if you think a newer SUV would suit you better. The Model Y and Model 3 have proven to be pretty reliable as well. There's just less to go wrong than a Model S or X.

I don't keep cars that long though, so for me the easy decision is to trade it in. I usually only keep a car for 5-6 years, although my Model 3 is the first car I ever bought new so we'll see.

Wow that's a lot of km! Reading the National Post and I would have thought that EVs can only go about 30,000 km before needing to go to the landfill!

All jokes aside, if I was in your situation I would probably trade it in. A Model Y would be very nice and then you get warranty again, although of course you'd be spending more than $20k to trade, so with every car it really comes down to whether you want to keep it or not. You won't be saving any money trading it. Even if your battery died it would be less expensive to repair your current car than buy a new one. It just always comes down to whether the risk is worth it, or if you think a newer SUV would suit you better. The Model Y and Model 3 have proven to be pretty reliable as well. There's just less to go wrong than a Model S or X.

I don't keep cars that long though, so for me the easy decision is to trade it in. I usually only keep a car for 5-6 years, although my Model 3 is the first car I ever bought new so we'll see.
Idk..... Will cost me about 35k cdn after tax to go to a new Y. Tesla trade ins are horrible, so I'd have to sell privately. I'd also kind of like to wait for the Y refresh too, should be many improvements. But, I'll be really kicking myself if my pack or drive unit fail.

My first Tesla was a 2015 S. Still my favourite. I might go back to the S one day just because of the great memories of my first EV. I think you might want to wait a bit if you really want a Y. Rumour about the refresh will probably mean lots of discounted upgrades up for sale soon. My Y has been pretty much trouble free. Can't say that about my old S.... motor, 6 door handles, two 12v etc.

Reactions: KevinT3141
My first Tesla was a 2015 S. Still my favourite. I might go back to the S one day just because of the great memories of my first EV. I think you might want to wait a bit if you really want a Y. Rumour about the refresh will probably mean lots of discounted upgrades up for sale soon. My Y has been pretty much trouble free. Can't say that about my old S.... motor, 6 door handles, two 12v etc.
Ya I've done 12v twice (dies when fuse went in pack), and I think 3 or 4 door handles.

It's hard to say what will work best for you but I can simply tell you that I replaced my 2016 S90D with a brand new S Long Range and I couldn't be happier.

Unlike you, my S was starting to cast me a lot of money (something like 15k in the last 18 months). I opted for an S (over an X or Y) because I'm not an SUV person. I think the Y is probably the best car Tesla makes but for me it was also too plain. My S feels more luxurious inside and is such a dramatic improvement over my old S, that I am literally tickled. My *guess* is that you won't regret your decision and you may have been lucky thus far with your original S.

I had under 200,000km on mine but it became a total money pit in the last 18 months.

Just imo, if $20k will crush you, I'd get rid of the S as soon as you can. I had my S battery pack die on me and I had always been meaning to get aftermarket warranty on it after the 8 year warranty was up, but never got around to doing it.

I didn't do it at Tesla, and saved a few bucks by sending it to the US, but you don't have that option as (I believe) the two battery service companies, that this forum sings deserved praise for, won't do the smaller battery packs (not enough demand/not economically feasible).

I’m in the same boat with my 2015 MS 70D. I love the car and it has low mileage (80k kms) but its starting to become a bit of a money pit. Like you I have upgraded to MCU2, have replaced a few suspension bits and had the normal door handle issues. But a potential $25k battery replacement, on a 9 year old car that is worth $30k-$35k (or $20k trade-in value), is a tough pill to swallow. My driving requirements have changed in the past few years with less highway cruising and more city driving, so I’m thinking of replacing it with a new M3 Highland.

Idk..... Will cost me about 35k cdn after tax to go to a new Y. Tesla trade ins are horrible, so I'd have to sell privately. I'd also kind of like to wait for the Y refresh too, should be many improvements. But, I'll be really kicking myself if my pack or drive unit fail.
Do you have any indicators that makes you feel that either the pack or the drive unit is having trouble?

I'd go for a test drive with either the new S or X (or even the revised 3 if it comes in for test drives) before you think that the revisions would be worth it. After over a year, I'm still not a fan of the on-screen gear selector nor the button turn signals - stalks should be an option. Besides, it's like every new Tesla - the next change is always forthcoming and makes coming to a final decision a more trying effort.

Do you have any indicators that makes you feel that either the pack or the drive unit is having trouble?

I'd go for a test drive with either the new S or X (or even the revised 3 if it comes in for test drives) before you think that the revisions would be worth it. After over a year, I'm still not a fan of the on-screen gear selector nor the button turn signals - stalks should be an option. Besides, it's like every new Tesla - the next change is always forthcoming and makes coming to a final decision a more trying effort.
This is a very fair point (about the on screen gear selector or the lack of stalks). I will admit they took some getting used to but I actually prefer them to my old stalks (although there is no way I would suggest the gear selector is more efficient than the stalk, it’s not). The only thing I probably wouldn’t have done if I did it all over again is the yoke. It improves sight lines and decreases cabin cluster (a bit) but is nowhere near as good as a steering wheel IMO.

I'd also kind of like to wait for the Y refresh too, should be many improvements.

Some improvements, but also some terrible changes. The Model 3 lost it's stalks, and likely so will the refreshed Y. I personally won't own one that's stalkless.

So for me, easy decision. An older Model S is financially risky. I'd sell it ASAP and get a shiny new 3 (or Y if that's your preference).

Some improvements, but also some terrible changes. The Model 3 lost it's stalks, and likely so will the refreshed Y. I personally won't own one that's stalkless.

So for me, easy decision. An older Model S is financially risky. I'd sell it ASAP and get a shiny new 3 (or Y if that's your preference).
Idk, I'm sure I could get used to no stalks, to get all the improvements of the refresh... Better suspension, noise reduction, rear screen, updated interior, better looking front end. And I'd want the Y over the 3 for easier entry, lift gate, more storage.

Is there anywhere I could yet a warranty now that would be valid in Canada?

The Tesla Owners Club of Ontario has been promoting this level of insurance for the past through months through a sponsor vendor. Here are the details. PM me if you want any further info.

The Club would like to inform you that we now have a new sponsor offering an extended warranty program for your Tesla! There is an introductory offer with unlimited mileage for Tesla vehicles [1] offered through CBI & Finance Inc., but covered by the company Advantage Plus. Please note that the club is not officially endorsing this product, prospective buyers should conduct their own research before making any purchase decisions.

A large number of members (over 250) of Tesla Club Quebec have taken advantage of this program and we have heard great feedback about it.

In addition, CBI & Finance is offering a $100 rebate to members in good standing.[2] They will contact us to confirm your membership, the rebate will be sent by Interac transfer 45 days after signing.

• Coverage with unlimited mileage regardless of the duration chosen[3]
  • 5-year warranty for $2,900 plus tax for all Tesla models[3]

Even if your warranty with Tesla IS NO LONGER EFFECTIVE, you can purchase this extended warranty as long as your Tesla is less than 10 years old and has less than 200,000 km on the odometer at the time of warranty purchase.

For example, the owner of a Tesla Model S delivered new on August 1, 2013 and with 199,000 km on the odometer could purchase a 5-year extended warranty on July 20, 2023. This means that this Model S, which is no longer covered by any warranty, would be covered by this new warranty from July 20, 2023 to July 20, 2028.

If your warranty with Tesla IS STILL IN EFFECT and you purchase this new extended warranty, it will begin the day after your Tesla warranty ends.

IMPORTANT: Please note that any repairs to normally covered components that existed before the warranty purchase date or within thirty (30) days of that date will not be covered. It is therefore not possible to claim for a repair relating to an anomaly code information or having been the subject of a notification recorded by the vehicle’s computer monitoring systems prior to the purchase of the warranty or during the period of thirty (30) days following the purchase of the warranty.

Some characteristics of the warranty:

• The extended warranty administrator Advantage Plus has been in business in Canada for over 30 years.
  • The warranty is transferable if you sell your Tesla.
  • Model S and Model X are covered for the same price.
  • The 400V battery is covered for 1 year and 20,000 km more than the Tesla warranty. Thus, the Tesla 8-year / 160,000 km warranty now becomes a 9-year / 180,000 km warranty.[4]
  • Depending on the approval of the repairs by the warranty administrators, you can have your Tesla repaired at the certified garage of your choice. (This includes Tesla)

For more details or to purchase this extended warranty, go to the websitehttps://www.cbifinance.ca/en.[5]
Once on the CBI & Finance website, click on the Tesla Owners Club of Ontario button and follow the instructions.

Please note that any questions about coverage etc. should be directed to [email protected]and not the club.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I'd get rid of it unless your willing to risk 7k to replace the base rear drive unit 1025598-00-u. No warning just stops driving.. it's a rip off. others can't sell you the part because they buy from tesla dealer and they jack up the price to others to deter them from selling thier repair services on a tesla. I'd get rid of any of these before the warranty is up.. So Sad! I just bought this a month ago and now have a 7k bill. I'll be crying myself to sleep again tonight :( I'd attempt to do myself but don't have a lift nor garage, nor can't get the part for less than $5k... unless someone sells on ebay and I take that risk.. Just saying it's not worth the stress and sell while you can.. Although the poor person who buys (like me) will get ripped off when it dies.

I'd get rid of it unless your willing to risk 7k to replace the base rear drive unit 1025598-00-u. No warning just stops driving.. it's a rip off. others can't sell you the part because they buy from tesla dealer and they jack up the price to others to deter them from selling thier repair services on a tesla. I'd get rid of any of these before the warranty is up.. So Sad! I just bought this a month ago and now have a 7k bill. I'll be crying myself to sleep again tonight :( I'd attempt to do myself but don't have a lift nor garage, nor can't get the part for less than $5k... unless someone sells on ebay and I take that risk.. Just saying it's not worth the stress and sell while you can.. Although the poor person who buys (like me) will get ripped off when it dies.
Yikes that sucks.
I did have the drive unit replaced early on in my ownership due to a hum, its revision Q, and has been rock solid for 250,000 kms.
But ya, that and the battery have me concerned for sure. I think I'll try and holdout for the new Y tho, there are so many improvements in the refresh.

Tesla has been announcing that they are moving closer towards non-Tesla, service centers, and offering training to other garages. At least this is what I recall reading recently. I think we will see more and more of these third-party garages offering better rates for battery replacements, etc. Just my two cents worth.

OP is indeed rolling the dice. No way for sure to know in advance if continuing to drive, or buying another is the best course. Time will tell.

Knowing that a serious refresh (Juniper) is coming in the future just adds another level of nailbiting.

OP also should consider the fickle nature of Government rebates. Those tend to come and go. Buying when there are significant rebates can really tilt the scale of affordability.