Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attach phone to profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to see your phone attached to your driver profile. So if you and your other half get in the car together and they’re driving their phone is connected with that profile. The ‘priority phone’ thing isn’t really the answer.
Any thoughts?

I would like to see your phone attached to your driver profile. So if you and your other half get in the car together and they’re driving their phone is connected with that profile. The ‘priority phone’ thing isn’t really the answer.
Any thoughts?
Problem is when you each get in the car with your fob (model s). I dont think the car knows which fob is held by the driver. It seems to always go to the most regular one. But yes connecting the phone to the driver profile, once manually selected, makes sense.....or at least have that option.

I would like to see your phone attached to your driver profile.

Unless I am misunderstanding the issue, it's already there for the Model 3. Be aware that a phone or a keycard (or even a Tesla fob) are all regarded as a "key" in the user manual.

Page 52 of the Australian Model 3 Owner's Manual (2020.20) states:

"Linking a Driver Profile to a Key
You can link a driver profile to a key (or keys) to allow Model 3 to automatically select the correct driver profile when the linked key is detected as you approach the vehicle and open the driver's door. To link a driver profile to a key, first ensure you are using your desired driver profile. Navigate to Controls > Locks and touch the + icon. You can add an authenticated phone, key card, or key fob by following the onscreen instructions. When finished pairing, touch the driver icon to link the key to the desired driver profile. The name of the driver profile will appear under the key to show that it is linked."
My emphasis in italics. Touching the driver icon a second time will remove the link between the key and the driver profile.

If necessary can provide photos before and after.

Reactions: Niek and cafz
Problem is when you each get in the car with your fob (model s). I dont think the car knows which fob is held by the driver. It seems to always go to the most regular one. But yes connecting the phone to the driver profile, once manually selected, makes sense.....or at least have that option.

Would make a lot of sense to have a phone be able to be associated with a drive profile...not sure why Tesla haven't looked at it from this angle.

That way whoever gets in the car with whatever fob or not (S, 3, X and Y) in whatever order does not matter...what matters is Phone A goes with Driver Profile A and if Drive A gets in the car and this is the selected driver profile then Phone A is the prority.

Would make a lot of sense to have a phone be able to be associated with a drive profile...not sure why Tesla haven't looked at it from this angle.

That way whoever gets in the car with whatever fob or not (S, 3, X and Y) in whatever order does not matter...what matters is Phone A goes with Driver Profile A and if Drive A gets in the car and this is the selected driver profile then Phone A is the prority.
It absolutely would make sense. Currently, the best you can do is establish which phone is the default when both are in the car. but when my wife has used the car, her phone is not linked to her profile, or after she uses the Tesla Bluetooth for her phone. I have to man ually select my phone to use it. There's gotta be a better way

BT pairing is a chancy business. My wife's phone is the priority device, and it pairs most of the time, but if I get in alone, my phone sometimes pairs and sometimes I have to connect it. I'd hate to rely on BT pairing alone.