Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempted burglary -- targeted because of Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night the wife and I were woken at 1:00 am by a loud sound, followed by the sound of jangling keys. We leapt out of bed and raced downstairs shouting, by which time they were gone. They smashed a corner of the window next to the front door, and were either trying to open the door from the inside, or were rooting around in the bowl conveniently next to the window which contains our house keys (I believe that is what the jangling sound was). Fortunately the door was deadlocked, so they didn't come into the house.

Either this was some drugged out crazy person willing to burgle a house with people sleeping in it, or they were after the car and were looking for the car keys. The Model 3 is on the drive right in front of the house, and I live on a fairly busy road in SE London. I've lived in this house 6 years and never been burgled, this feels a bit too much like a coincidence (I've had the Model 3 since November).

It's incredibly worrying that there are thieves smart enough to look up the value of a Model 3 and decide "ooh I'll have that", yet not smart enough to realise it's not a normal car. Am I going to get another visit as they make a second attempt? What can I do about that?

I don't have a security camera (any recommendations?), and sentry mode wasn't enabled, so I've got no footage. The road is reasonably well lit, and based on the past 6 years experience I was too cocky I guess. Basically we didn't see a soul, didn't hear them running away, have no idea what we're dealing with (group of organised bandits, homeless person?).

As you can imagine we are extremely rattled by this, and don't know what to do. Ideas welcome.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gatsojon
Firstly I have lots of sympathy for your situation. I would advise being focussed on showing visible deterants. Sentry mode definitely, CCTV (even if it’s a cheaper Swann system) and everything from a beware of the dog sign to a neighborhood watch sticker. It fairly unlikely they will come back. If they really were after your model 3 it would have gone already. Ironically it’s probably one of the hardest cars to steal with pin to drive enabled (you do have this enabled right?)

I installed sophisticted CCTV systems and burgar alarms in both my clinic and home back when i lived in Sth London. Reality was that the only burglary we had at the clinic was a crude smashing through the front door and £15 float nicked - with a bill of several thousand for the damage done. No one saw anything and a hoodie made CCTV unhelpful.
At my home we had one instance of tyres being nailed (several per car) and another instance of vandalism to wife's car and one instance of a bike being stolen. Police response to CCTV pics was "If you don't know who they are then we're not going to find them."

After that i decided that deterrance was more use than function and put up honking great camera housings (empty) and assorted signs and alarm boxes (empty) to complement the neater stuff I'd used before. Security lights just help the burglars see what they're doing. You're better off illuminating the camera housings.

Reactions: Big Earl
Nightmare. Ring cameras (doorbell, spotlight cam etc) are pretty good - sirens, two way voice etc to shout expletives at them from inside without having to confront them in person plus video evidence if you need it. Needs decent wifi though.

Sorry to hear that. Also recommend RIng doorbell. They have a wireless version that you can install yourself quickly and easily for less than £200 (think it’s Ring 2). It records as people approach or pass a certain distance. Great for a car on a drive. Annual subscription to store all the video history but again not expensive.

If you have that scenario just give them the bloody pin and get out of there. Goodness knows what knives/weapons they have if they go to that extent. Most thieves will go to extreme lengths to not have confrontation.

What a nightmare! I personally use the Google Nest door camera. Mine is hard-wired in to a nearby internal power plug and I pay for the cloud storage which allows viewing for up to 11 days. The video quality is very good, as is the night vision.
City Plumbing of all people are selling them for around £148 per unit at the moment.
snapshot - Copy.jpg snapshot2 - Copy.jpgsnapshot3 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: rotor2k and Tatoo1
I not going to be so polite tbh, it is dam right stupid to leave any keys in sight of any window, why do people think it will never happen to them, if no one did, a lot more cars would not be stolen thus cheaper insurance for everyone. Just hope they do not come back thinking you would make the same mistake twice.

You can all flame me, but there has been enough warnings on the News, YouTube, Forums etc. for everyone who has a car to know.

That's terrible to hear. We lived in South Minneapolis for 5 years before we had anyone try to break into our garage, and then it happened several times over the next year. We did not have the Teslas at the time, and no visible signs that we had anything worth purloining. I'm not saying that an expensive (relatively) vehicle doesn't attract unwanted attention...just that it's not necessarily the cause.

As for security, we use a Nest Cam IQ outdoor, and will be grabbing a Nest doorbell sometime soon. Have had absolutely no problems with the functionality of the Nest cam, which I cannot say for our previous Samsung Smartcams, and the picture quality is fantastic. The only concern with the Nest Cam is that since it has to upload the video to the cloud you need to make sure you have the bandwidth to do so. One of the main reasons we went with the "IQ" model is that it records in 4k and will automatically zoom in on the face of any person it detects.

Good Luck.

It’s bad when you don’t feel safe in your own home. You’re right to be concerned about a repeat. If the original offender doesn’t try again, whatever made them choose you house might attract someone else. If you make a few simple changes it will definitely make you less of a target and feel safer.

You don’t have to be Fort Knox but just less attractive to burgle than someone else’s house. Harder to do, less discreet, more consequences.

Less attractive:
  • Dummy Bellbox
  • Warning Signs (this vehicle is fitted with a tracker). Beware of the dog.

Harder to do:
Less discreet:
  • I disagree with others here. Don’t let them hide in shadows, shine a light on them and improve you CCTV pics.
  • Gravel is noisy
More consequences:
  • Dog (they’re great!); or
  • Intruder alarm (wired not wireless).
  • CCTV/Recording doorbell.
Dont become paranoid permanently but do be sensible.

Last night the wife and I were woken at 1:00 am by a loud sound, followed by the sound of jangling keys. We leapt out of bed and raced downstairs shouting, by which time they were gone. They smashed a corner of the window next to the front door, and were either trying to open the door from the inside, or were rooting around in the bowl conveniently next to the window which contains our house keys (I believe that is what the jangling sound was). Fortunately the door was deadlocked, so they didn't come into the house.

Either this was some drugged out crazy person willing to burgle a house with people sleeping in it, or they were after the car and were looking for the car keys. The Model 3 is on the drive right in front of the house, and I live on a fairly busy road in SE London. I've lived in this house 6 years and never been burgled, this feels a bit too much like a coincidence (I've had the Model 3 since November).

It's incredibly worrying that there are thieves smart enough to look up the value of a Model 3 and decide "ooh I'll have that", yet not smart enough to realise it's not a normal car. Am I going to get another visit as they make a second attempt? What can I do about that?

I don't have a security camera (any recommendations?), and sentry mode wasn't enabled, so I've got no footage. The road is reasonably well lit, and based on the past 6 years experience I was too cocky I guess. Basically we didn't see a soul, didn't hear them running away, have no idea what we're dealing with (group of organised bandits, homeless person?).

As you can imagine we are extremely rattled by this, and don't know what to do. Ideas welcome.
I think it’s likely opportunistic incase that the keys were in the bowl than anything else, but don’t use a bowl for your keys anyway.

install one of the vandal proof dome cameras or just an empty one.

Get a ring doorbell you can get these installed easily and quickly.