Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to price out options for Model 3 (Part 2!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a BMW 3 Hybrid, the price starts at 39.000 € (without taxes) and up to 50.000 for full options.
But the motor is the same.
BMW.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
Still don't like the forced choices. I hope there will be a reasonably priced performance dual motor option. I'm hoping to to get a dual for $50,000 or less.
At one point Elon tweeted that dual motors would be less than they are on the Model S so you should be able to get dual motors for less than $40K. Performance though is another story, historically performance is only available after you have dual motors and the largest battery so you might be pushing it to get it under $50K. Of course, no one knows for sure yet ...

Still don't like the forced choices. I hope there will be a reasonably priced performance dual motor option. I'm hoping to to get a dual for $50,000 or less.
I expect it may just scrape under the mark. I figure it might be something like this, presuming a software limited battery pack in the base car:

$35,000 _-_ Model ☰ 55 Rear Wheel Drive (250 miles)
$38,000 _-_ Model ☰ 55D All Wheel Drive (266 miles)
$40,000 _-_ Model ☰ 75 Rear Wheel Drive (299 miles)
$43,000 _-_ Model ☰ 75D All Wheel Drive (318 miles)
$50,000 _-_ Model ☰ P100D Performance All Wheel Drive
(378 miles)

Naturally, I could be entirely wrong on this. File it under 'WAG' for me.

I expect it may just scrape under the mark. I figure it might be something like this, presuming a software limited battery pack in the base car:

(378 miles)

I would be ecstatic with these specs/prices. Although it wouldn't take many options to push those prices up quite a bit.

(378 miles)

I think you'll be wrong but hope you're right!
Based on nothing but a guess I think performance D will be $75k USD fully loaded. Mark in my guess.

(378 miles)

Guys, be realistic please. 50k$ for P100D car with more range than 140k$ Tesla S ? Dream on. There wont be any P100D in a first place and P75D which will be maxed out will run for 70-80k$.

Reactions: alseTrick
This is the first mass produce tesla designed to be easy to assemble and produced on one of the world's most efficient production plant. Using one of the cheapest batteries outhere with high energy density.

I hope I can get the P version for 60k.

I would be ecstatic with these specs/prices. Although it wouldn't take many options to push those prices up quite a bit.
I think you'll be wrong but hope you're right!
Based on nothing but a guess I think performance D will be $75k USD fully loaded. Mark in my guess.
My presumption is that it would be possible to add around $15,000 in options to either configuration I listed. I rather doubt that Tesla will have an $8,000 braking package for a Performance Model ☰, as BMW has on its M3.

Guys, be realistic please. 50k$ for P100D car with more range than 140k$ Tesla S ? Dream on. There wont be any P100D in a first place and P75D which will be maxed out will run for 70-80k$.
Most people know nothing of range, but plenty of Performance. A BMW M3 will blow the doors off an Alpina B7 for lot less money, and no one blinks an eye. A BMW 7-Series has a greater range than a 3-Series, not because of efficiency, but because of fuel tank capacity. A Tesla Model ☰ will have greater range with a given battery pack capacity than would a Model S because it is a smaller car. And anyone who doesn't expect a Performance Model ☰ to match and/or surpass a Performance Model S hasn't been paying attention. The Tesla Roadster maxed out at 3.7 seconds 0-60 MPH, and it seems the Model S is already at about 2.4 instead. There will be no holds barred to 'protect' Model S from its stablemates. Heck, the Performance Model X will blow the doors off the Tesla Roadster. Attempting to protect LS levels of Performance just led to Lexus sales for ES and IS being far behind those of direct competitors from BMW.

Reactions: JeffK
I had every intention of selecting all options until I read this article at Electrek.

This article killed my #1 Ludicrous dreams.

Tesla confirms that it limits the power of performance vehicles after too many launches with ‘launch mode’ [Updated]

The #2 reason I have a deposit on the M3 was due to this feature. Now.....?
I haven't read this article... But it seems they are saying they have protected your ability to drive the car for YEARS as opposed to a few minutes. That is not a bad thing. I never understood the need for 'launch mode' anyway. the instructions are pretty simple: Rear back and kick the ever-lovin' [SNOT] out of the GO PEDAL. Who can't do that?

If 75d is 50k or less-I'm getting 2 of them. I don't care about other options. Heck they can leave the speakers, stereo, all electric gizmos and much more out of my car. I don't care for cow bells. AP-nope don't want it-won't pay for it. P or L - don't want it. Only thing I might want is winter package - maybe hud if it is extra, but I think it is included in standard. Other than that-nada.

Some really good feedback - I've updated the table to show some changes.

- Removed a pack size
- Removed a couple options
- Lowered price of a couple options (Especially the Premium Package)

View attachment 206994
This seems to be the eternal debate. Still, there are AMG, M, etc that manage to make a base version somewhere around a third the price of the fully tricked out one. The US Model S ranges from $68m to $167.5m, the X close to that. So why the dismay about 'fully tricked out' price.
Over and over we mostly agree that the buyers of fully tricked out are different than are those of the base.
Decades of experience with new vehicle buyers tells me that for almost all brands the extremes are still completely different buyers who, mostly, do not cross-shop from one extreme to the other.

So, as farzyness shows us, our thought processes help us to establish expectations and keep us occupied while we wait. Great! This is good!

My own brief thoughts, as they've changed due to recent information:
1. I think the base car will have EPA rated range around 250 miles, at the $35,000 target.
- no clue how many kWh that might take, but,
- new battery technology and new heat pipe BMS will reduce cost and weight,
- new automation approaches will further reduce cost and weight,
2. Whether the OP has guessed correctly about options and pricing in post 1 or 22 i fully expect the prices will range from $35,000 to something well above $100,000, probably approaching $120,000
3. I'm with those who think there will be three range variants (battery sizes, yes, but much more than just that) that will be ~250 miles; ~300 miles and ~350 miles
4. I'm with those who think that the top range variant will have a quite spectacular performance variant that will easily match P100D maybe more.
5. No doubt the driving automation, up to level 5, will be there for a price with the regulatory caveats currently in use.

The Models to follow will have similar wide array of choices.
Tesla will not adopt model naming conventions that include option packages, but packages will be there. They will continue to make battery capacity and performance distinctions, plus D.

These are my views. I have I have been consistent over the months, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have changed. Frankly, the recent news in battery, BMS, connections, manufacturing process, charging process and vehicle automation are all making more more confident about Model 3, and Tesla

Reactions: Red Sage
I'll go for the base model and throw in the full autopilot/fast charging options, unless I can increase the battery size and still keep the car under £30k.
You should be able to do something pretty close to that, and the D option Elon has repeatedly promised will be pretty cheap. That will be worthwhile if only for greater efficiency.

I am 100% in on getting a D which may require a battery pack upgrade. I'm okay with that since I'm 90% likely to get at least the mid-level battery anyway. I'm about 80% certain of getting EAP. I definitely want it (actually I'd love Self Driving for that matter) but at $5K/8K it's a bit pricey. The winter package is a certainty since I'm in Buffalo and it doesn't cost much. The uncertainty I have with all of the above comes down to pricing and not so much desirability or function. So until the online-configurator opens up and I can see the actual pricing for each option I'm not sure which options I'll end up with. I really need to work on a priority list. It will help pass the waiting time and I'll be that much more ready to make decisions when the time comes.