Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to price out options for Model 3 (Part 2!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if Elon's tease at 350+ kwh supercharging might change people's minds about needing the largest battery. That is undoubtedly where the most money could potentially be saved. After all, the ability to get an 80%+ charge in 10 minutes or less would make a huge difference on trips.

Dan

Reactions: plankeye
I wonder if Elon's tease at 350+ kwh supercharging might change people's minds about needing the largest battery. That is undoubtedly where the most money could potentially be saved. After all, the ability to get an 80%+ charge in 10 minutes or less would make a huge difference on trips.

Dan
This is true and what I've been thinking about today. With 250 miles range (100% charged) at the start of the trip and driving 70mph, that would require stopping after 3.5 hours of driving depending on how close to 0% you go (3.5 hours would be near 0%). If this faster charging could get you near 80% in 15 minutes, then you would get about 200 miles range (80% charge) for your next leg. That would be about 2.75 hours of driving the next and all future legs until you get to your destination (adding in 15 minutes of charging between each leg).

Me personally, I would like a starting range of around 300 miles (100% charged). At 70mph, I wouldn't have to stop after the first leg until just over 4 hours of driving. Then, after 15 minutes of charging and at 80% charge, again at 70mph, this next leg and all future legs would net me about 240 miles or 3.25 hours of driving.

The second option would be much more appealing to me for road trips. With that said, you would only get about an extra 30 minutes of driving in between charging stations.

I'd be curious to read a review comparing the difference of a road trip, but with a low and a high capacity battery pack in otherwise identical cars. Would be nicer to have a short trip (350 miles) and a long trip (1000 miles).

Last edited:

Dan

Maybe, a few of us are getting a bigger battery because we are renters, the bigger battery is for peace of mind. Fast supercharging means nothing to me since I don't do trip, but if you are talking about ultra fast destination chargers, I will definitely we interested.

I expect it may just scrape under the mark. I figure it might be something like this, presuming a software limited battery pack in the base car:

$35,000 _-_ Model ☰ 55 Rear Wheel Drive (250 miles)
$38,000 _-_ Model ☰ 55D All Wheel Drive (266 miles)
$40,000 _-_ Model ☰ 75 Rear Wheel Drive (299 miles)
$43,000 _-_ Model ☰ 75D All Wheel Drive (318 miles)
$50,000 _-_ Model ☰ P100D Performance All Wheel Drive
(378 miles)

Naturally, I could be entirely wrong on this. File it under 'WAG' for me.
I would love these prices. Sign me up for the 75D!!!

Reactions: Red Sage
I am 100% in on getting a D which may require a battery pack upgrade. I'm okay with that since I'm 90% likely to get at least the mid-level battery anyway. I'm about 80% certain of getting EAP. I definitely want it (actually I'd love Self Driving for that matter) but at $5K/8K it's a bit pricey. The winter package is a certainty since I'm in Buffalo and it doesn't cost much. The uncertainty I have with all of the above comes down to pricing and not so much desirability or function. So until the online-configurator opens up and I can see the actual pricing for each option I'm not sure which options I'll end up with. I really need to work on a priority list. It will help pass the waiting time and I'll be that much more ready to make decisions when the time comes.
I with you on your configurations, though I do not think I want to auto driving at all no matter the price as I do not know when it will be legal so I do not like the idea of spending $3k on something that I may have to wait years to use. Also, side note, I have a very good college buddy from Buffalo...a great town to have fun in for sure...bars open till 4:00PM...good times!

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I with you on your configurations, though I do not think I want to auto driving at all no matter the price as I do not know when it will be legal so I do not like the idea of spending $3k on something that I may have to wait years to use. Also, side note, I have a very good college buddy from Buffalo...a great town to have fun in for sure...bars open till 4:00PM...good times!
Yeah. Now if we could just get a professional sports team worth a damn then we'd have something to celebrate until 4AM about.

Yeah. Now if we could just get a professional sports team worth a damn then we'd have something to celebrate until 4AM about.
New York? Sure you have professional sports teams all over the place.

Lets see you have.......................... nahh.
Oh wait, theres the ........................ hmmmm
I've got it, how about the....................nope.

Well - theres always next year.

Haven't read through the whole thread but I've been pricing out potential options partly out of personal interest and partly for investment purposes. I expect there to be fewer options than S/X, I expect the base model to have a 50kWh or 55kWh pack, this list assumes 55kWh though I was leaning towards 50 after reveal Part 1.

Base price, 55kWh, 225 miles range.......... $35,000
75kWh battery (~300 miles range).....+ $5,000
Dual motors........................................+ $3,000
Enhanced Autopilot............................+ $3,000
FSD.....................................................+ $2,000 (Requires Enhanced Autopilot)
Premium package................................+ $2,500
Larger rims.........................................+ $3,000
Leather seats........................................+ $1,500
Vegan seats..........................................+ $1,500
Subzero weather package....................+ $1,000
Upgraded paint....................................+ $1,000
Upgraded audio..................................+ $2,500
Ludicrous Mode..................................+ $10,000 (Requires Dual motors)
Fully Loaded...................................................$69,500

Fully loaded M3 should be around the base price of S/X.

Note: I'm predicting no air suspension option and no upgraded charger option. Also by the time the 3 is out I expect the X/S to be shipping with only two physical packs, a 100 and a 75/60 with the 100D getting 340 miles range and the 75D getting 260.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falkirk
Wishful thinking ... dream on :cool:

I expect it may just scrape under the mark. I figure it might be something like this, presuming a software limited battery pack in the base car:

$35,000 _-_ Model ☰ 55 Rear Wheel Drive (250 miles)
$38,000 _-_ Model ☰ 55D All Wheel Drive (266 miles)
$40,000 _-_ Model ☰ 75 Rear Wheel Drive (299 miles)
$43,000 _-_ Model ☰ 75D All Wheel Drive (318 miles)
$50,000 _-_ Model ☰ P100D Performance All Wheel Drive
(378 miles)

Naturally, I could be entirely wrong on this. File it under 'WAG' for me.

Haven't read through the whole thread but I've been pricing out potential options partly out of personal interest and partly for investment purposes. I expect there to be fewer options than S/X, I expect the base model to have a 50kWh or 55kWh pack, this list assumes 55kWh though I was leaning towards 50 after reveal Part 1.

Base price, 55kWh, 225 miles range.......... $35,000
75kWh battery (~300 miles range).....+ $5,000
Dual motors........................................+ $3,000
Enhanced Autopilot............................+ $3,000
FSD.....................................................+ $2,000 (Requires Enhanced Autopilot)
Premium package................................+ $2,500
Larger rims.........................................+ $3,000
Leather seats........................................+ $1,500
Vegan seats..........................................+ $1,500
Subzero weather package....................+ $1,000
Upgraded paint....................................+ $1,000
Upgraded audio..................................+ $2,500
Ludicrous Mode..................................+ $10,000 (Requires Dual motors)
Fully Loaded...................................................$69,500

Fully loaded M3 should be around the base price of S/X.

Note: I'm predicting no air suspension option and no upgraded charger option. Also by the time the 3 is out I expect the X/S to be shipping with only two physical packs, a 100 and a 75/60 with the 100D getting 340 miles range and the 75D getting 260.

You didn't include roof options. And the autopilot suite will not be cheaper on the 3 than the S/X.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
I'm thinking something like this:

Model 3 options.png

• Love
Reactions: RobStark
Who would pay extra for navigation in this day and age?

It comes standard with a Tesla

Folding mirrors tend to come standard with most cars now too. The only thing I can think of is if the $35k price point is costing Tesla money and they are hoping options will pay for them pricing the models that 'low' (I don't actually think that's low, but anyway)...

I also think the LED headlights are the only lights they will sell. I just don't see them putting old bulbs on the Model 3.

If the HUD, navigation, folding mirrors etc are all put inside an option I'll be very very sad.
I think it's fairly likely that the Model 3 will bring back the Tech package from the early Model S days. The exact contents can be discussed, but I think the idea will be to include some neat stuff, plus some things that make you go "Yeah, I need the Tech package". (I'm not at all sure a HUD will be offered.)

Who would pay extra for navigation in this day and age?

It comes standard with a Tesla
It hasn't always been included, and Tesla needs every dollar it can get on top of the base price. (On a BMW 3-series the navigation is $1950.)

Last edited: