Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

atuo garage opener only works heading into the garage, not backing into it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if it's me or the software, but the garage door opens and closes perfectly if I drive into and later back out of my garage. If I reverse into my garage, the door won't open. Anyone else back into their garage? It lets the falcon door open completely.

There was a thread on the "backing issue" in the early days of the Model X. I had the issue when backing in the garage. The auto signal (from the front of the X) anticipated leaving and sent a signal to the opener. Since the door was open, it began to close. Further the X was not close enough under the door to activate the door sensors (child protection) futher the door was not low enough for the X parking sensors to "see" the door. Making matters worst, looking the rear view mirror the door (slowly closing) was not yet visible when the side mirrors point down when backing. The X struck the bottom edge of the garage door just below the spoiler. Some minor scratches that I was able to touch up and buff out. No real harm. I reported the experience here (nearly a year ago), and alerted my service center of the issue. Warning! Home Link GPS -- Auto Close

Following, I disabled the auto open and close feature to prevent a recurrence. Also since I live on a curve in the road, when the door close activated the garage was out of my view so I could never confirm it actually closed. Triggering closer created the problem backing in. A nice feature but even when inactive, the Homelink icon still appears as you approach and I simply manually press the door I want to open -- same to close.

Glad as usual that Tesla responded quietly to the issue and disabled the feature while backing. Always amazed and appreciative of Tesla's response to seemingly small issues.

Mine S opens automatically (with a "skip"/option pop up for a few seconds) right before I pull up to my driveway, so by the time I'm reversing, its open. I always reverse in too. But if the S does it via GPS couldn't the X too? I have auto close off though. And if its already open, it will trigger to close. But that's where the skip option comes in to play.

When my opener started to go bad, I upgraded to one with WiFi and an app, so I can virtually check the status as well. It was only about $30 more than the non WiFi version

Mine works approaching and leaving with the "skip" option. Just be careful if your spouse is pulling out right after you as you could close the door on her (just sayin' :eek:).
Where are you auto-open safety sensors for your garage door? If you have the too low, and they are "seeing" each other between the front and rear tires, they are too low. Any body - car or person, should be able to walk between the sensors and stop the door and send it back up. The sensors should not be so low that they only see the car's tires.

Where are you auto-open safety sensors for your garage door? If you have the too low, and they are "seeing" each other between the front and rear tires, they are too low. Any body - car or person, should be able to walk between the sensors and stop the door and send it back up. The sensors should not be so low that they only see the car's tires.
Don't the garage door sensors need to be low enough to "see" a small cat or dog?

Lots of these problems could be solved if the door opener systems were "smarter" and could report actual door position when queried. I've never used the auto open because it could just as easily close on me if it happened to already be open. I've considered putting z-wave or ZigBee position sensors (like used in wireless alarms) on my doors as my home automation system could make smart decisions. But the Tesla and probably for that matter, any Homelink system to my knowledge reports actual door position (ie fully open or fully closed).

I enabled auto open/close my first night when I picked up my X two weeks ago. An hour later while pulling in to an already open door, it started closing and nailed my spoiler! I couldn't react fast enough to manually stop it, as I wasn't familiar enough with the screen.

First damn night! Luckily minus a few minor clearcoat scratches, no other damage. I open/close manually now :)