Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi etron in person, disappointing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are really comparing what Tesla did in 2012/2013 to the build out under penalty that VAG is doing in 2018/2019?

Even better that you put it that way, Tesla needed to do it because the only car they sell is electric they have to have a way to get fuel for their customers. VAG has no nationwide fleet of cars that need fuel for their customers and their still moving 3x faster than Tesla

• Disagree
Reactions: mrwuffles
What matters to me more than stations is stalls at the station.

I'm definitely hoping for the best for EA because I like having choices.

I figured the E-Tron would be next SUV/Crossover, but after looking at some of Rivian stuff I have to say I'm impressed with what they have.

I'm not so sure about that, In metro areas maybe but In all the traveling I've done outside of city centers I think the most cars I've ever seen is 3 at a supercharger. Right now EA has just as many charging locations as Tesla does in Houston and they put them in in less than a year, took Tesla 4 years to get that many put in.

• Disagree
Even better that you put it that way, Tesla needed to do it because the only car they sell is electric they have to have a way to get fuel for their customers. VAG has no nationwide fleet of cars that need fuel for their customers and their still moving 3x faster than Tesla

Ah, no, they are operating under a court mandated settlement. That's why they aren't enabling routes, they are just trying to get to their court mandated targets.

Ah, no, they are operating under a court mandated settlement. That's why they aren't enabling routes, they are just trying to get to their court mandated targets.
This is false. Here's what the cycle 1 plan says (which will be completed later this year):

"Electrify America’s DC Fast EV charging stations will be located along high-traffic corridors in 39 states, including two cross-country routes."

There is no court-mandated number of chargers they have to build or similar. The ZEV investment committment (which is one part of the settlement over the Dieselgate scandal) just says that they have to invest a certain amount of money on brand-neutral infrastructure. It's up to them to decide where and how to invest, and obviously what they are doing is designed in part to support VW's EV plans.

Picked mine up 3 weeks ago.
It's awesome, driving in Switzerland, I usually get a range of 370km. Charging is super fast, 150kW until 80%, 50kW all the way to 100%.
Build quality is superb, Audi A6 / Q7 like. Inside it is by far the quietest car I ever had, even quieter than a Mercedes S Class.
I am not missing the Tesla Model S yet that I had before.

View attachment 399822

Awesome to hear! I just want one in a sedan form. Not sure how the upcoming GT is going to be priced. Hoping not at P100D levels.

We are seriously considering making an Audi our next EV after our S.

I'm not so sure about that, In metro areas maybe but In all the traveling I've done outside of city centers I think the most cars I've ever seen is 3 at a supercharger. Right now EA has just as many charging locations as Tesla does in Houston and they put them in in less than a year, took Tesla 4 years to get that many put in.

Anywhere on the pacific coast there are a ton of EV's.

The high cost of gas combined with cheap renewable energy makes EV's attractive around here.

So if a key charging spot between cities doesn't have 10 to 20 spots than it might be a struggle to charge. I'm glad Tesla upgraded the Centralia superchargers from 10 spots to 20 because now there are routinely more than 10 cars charging, and the Model 3 hasn't really been out that long.

This is false. Here's what the cycle 1 plan says (which will be completed later this year):

"Electrify America’s DC Fast EV charging stations will be located along high-traffic corridors in 39 states, including two cross-country routes."

There is no court-mandated number of chargers they have to build or similar. The ZEV investment committment (which is one part of the settlement over the Dieselgate scandal) just says that they have to invest a certain amount of money on brand-neutral infrastructure. It's up to them to decide where and how to invest, and obviously what they are doing is designed in part to support VW's EV plans.

I wrote targets. Their plan with the EVSE’s and the money they had to spend were submitted for approval. They are also late.

What's the longest trip you'd feel comfortable going on without charging? You say you have a range of 230 miles, but Audi says the range is more like 200 miles.

That 200 miles is going to scare off a lot of people. Where someone like me is going to figure a real world range (at 70mph or 112kph) is only going to be about 150miles before I want to charge,

With the Model 3 I can easily go well over 200 miles while still having plenty of buffer.

Audi is saying range is 417km (WLPT) according to Audi e-tron > tron > Audi Deutschland

Speed limit here in Switzerland is 120kph on highways, 80kph on country roads, strictly enforced, fines based on income (ouch).
Switzerland is small, North-South around 220km, East-west around 340km, so I can travel the whole country on a single charge in the E-Tron.
I am totally fine with the range I am getting (370km) and the speed it recharges (150kW till 80% or 50kW all the way to 100%), so I don't see a problem for me here.
Yeah, if you are into long distance travelling in a large country like the US, a Model 3 might suit you better.

Overall I think this is a damn fine really high quality EV.

Last edited:
Anywhere on the pacific coast there are a ton of EV's.

The high cost of gas combined with cheap renewable energy makes EV's attractive around here.

So if a key charging spot between cities doesn't have 10 to 20 spots than it might be a struggle to charge. I'm glad Tesla upgraded the Centralia superchargers from 10 spots to 20 because now there are routinely more than 10 cars charging, and the Model 3 hasn't really been out that long.
Exactly, outside of one swath of land there's really need for number of stalls as there is number of stations. In Cali about 50% of electric vehicles sold are Tesla, the other 50% includes every other brand, the catch is that electric car definition in california is a car that plugs in. So even those plug-in hybrid numbers count, how many plug-in hybrids do you see charging their 13kwh battery on a road trip?

Within the Pacific coast how many CCS/Cahdeomo stations are packed to the brim? If the answer is few, if any, then the answer is more stations, not more stalls at each station. That's the story outside of Tesla, and that's the story for every EV in nearly every other part of the country.

• Disagree
What do you mean they aren't enabling routes?

Instead of trying to get certain routes to work, they are installing based on quickest path to achieve mandated investment goals. That's why the enabled locations are haphazard and mostly in rural areas. Priority is easiest to get done, not trying to get certain routes working for their customers.

Instead of trying to get certain routes to work, they are installing based on quickest path to achieve mandated investment goals. That's why the enabled locations are haphazard and mostly in rural areas. Priority is easiest to get done, not trying to get certain routes working for their customers.

Uhhh have you looked at their map of chargers recently? They have chargers along most every major interstate. Hell it took Tesla 6 years to get all the chargers along I-10 so cars could actually travel to southern california. For having only installed chargers for less than a year they're pretty far along, again, look at a map.

Uhhh have you looked at their map of chargers recently? They have chargers along most every major interstate. Hell it took Tesla 6 years to get all the chargers along I-10 so cars could actually travel to southern california. For having only installed chargers for less than a year they're pretty far along, again, look at a map.

It's also worth considering that Electrify America is not operating in a vacuum, as Tesla was (and is). Other companies, like ChargePoint and EVgo, also operate CHAdeMO and CCS stations. Thus, if a major highway has good EVgo coverage near City A and good ChargePoint coverage near City B, but those two cities are 200 miles apart, then Electrify America can drop one station at the mid-point to enable a decent route between those two cities, and some distance on either side, without actually putting any stations in either city. That route won't look like a viable route on any one network's map, but it will work fine for drivers, and will look like a route in an app like PlugShare.

Does Tesla offer CCS adapters in US?

No, at least, not yet. In fact, unless I've missed something, the European CCS adapter is still under development and not yet available for sale. (CCS in Europe is different from CCS in the US, as are the Tesla plugs/sockets.) There is a CHAdeMO adapter that's available in the US, but it's not yet compatible with the Model 3.

AFAIK, Tesla has made no formal announcement about a US CCS adapter. It's my understanding that they've been hinting that the CHAdeMO adapter will eventually support the Model 3 via a firmware update, but they've been hinting at this for such a long time that it's unclear if/when it will ever materialize. Some are hoping it will happen around the time Tesla starts delivering Model 3s to Japan, since CHAdeMO is very common there.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
AFAIK, Tesla has made no formal announcement about a US CCS adapter.

I really hope we get one eventually. The CCS map has fleshed out a lot in the last few years. Would be nice to have options. I used to use my Chademo adapter on my S when those stations were the only thing near me, still hoping they enable that someday too.

75EB4FA0-B96E-4505-A5BB-19E6DBE994FD.jpeg

Had a look at one. The interior was nothing special, similar to cars costing a third as much. It's big, inefficient and the charge port is in the worst possible position.

No, at least, not yet. In fact, unless I've missed something, the European CCS adapter is still under development and not yet available for sale. (CCS in Europe is different from CCS in the US, as are the Tesla plugs/sockets.) There is a CHAdeMO adapter that's available in the US, but it's not yet compatible with the Model 3.

AFAIK, Tesla has made no formal announcement about a US CCS adapter. It's my understanding that they've been hinting that the CHAdeMO adapter will eventually support the Model 3 via a firmware update, but they've been hinting at this for such a long time that it's unclear if/when it will ever materialize. Some are hoping it will happen around the time Tesla starts delivering Model 3s to Japan, since CHAdeMO is very common there.

That's my understanding as well. Tesla hasn't promised a CCS adapter for the U.S., but I think it's likely we'll see one after the European one has been around for a while.

The European prototype pictures I've seen have been a simple pin adapter, with the car apparently handling the different communication protocols, either with an updated chargeport or new firmware.

• Funny
Reactions: Dagold
For me a range of 204 would be limiting in the winter. For daily use it would be fine but in the winter range will be a lot less than 204. As far as the Model 3, My LR RWD on Aeros easily makes 325 of mixed driving but not at 85 mph on the highway. Cruising at 60 mph then yes it makes 325. The AWD on 19" is much less efficient. I would say range is about 280 under similar conditions. Maybe a little less. Since the EPA numbers are under the same cycle they are good for comparison. However, every Tesla Model 3 was only tested with 18" Aero rims and tires.