TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audi: I hate to admit it, but Tesla did everything right

Discussion in 'News' started by tess1988, Mar 24, 2016.

1. tess1988

tess1988 Member

Audi’s electric-mobility chief Stefan Niemand had surprising words of appreciation for Tesla at the recent Technical Congress of Germany’s automotive industry organization (VDA) (via EETimes). Niemand commented:

“I hate to admit it, but Tesla did everything right”

The executive was especially praising Tesla’s EV infrastructure strategy: the Supercharger network.
    Audi’s EV Chief: “I hate to admit it, but Tesla did everything right”

full article: Audi commits to electromobility – and bows to Tesla

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  2. bharat

bharat Member

High praise! Thanks for sharing.

3. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

When Audi praises Tesla… Tesla has earned the praise, which I love to believe, or is Audi vying to plug into the supercharger network?!

4. gfb107

gfb107 Member

Tesla welcomes other manufacturers to use the SuperCharger network, but they have to agree to terms that Tesla has published.

5. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Wow. High praise indeed. The Germans rarely admit someone else has done a better job than they did. Although most OEs are pushing for the J1772/CCS standard to become universal, I think it's a 50/50 chance that the Tesla connector could become the de facto universal EV standard within the next decade.

6. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Keep in mind in Europe Tesla is using the Mennekes Type 2 connector which seems like a good standard. It seems to allow as fast charging as the Type 2 Combo charger and is compatible with all type 2 charging stations with a regular type 2. Hopefully that can be the agreed on standard in Europe.

Cobos

7. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Not sure why he would have to "hate to admit it" for what another auto manufacturer has done. Everything Tesla has done has been outside his control.

Now, what _is_ in his control is Audi's story around electric mobility. And for that, they've delivered nothing but vaporware and broken promises. That is what he should hate to admit.

8. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I can't help but chuckle at how perfect is the name Stefan Niemand as director of a new EV project. If it fails and top management demands to know who is at fault, they can honestly answer "No One". :)

(For the benefit on non-German speakers, the German word niemand means no one.)

• Funny x 3
  9. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

[​IMG]