Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio/Bluetooth broken since last OTA update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced the following since the last over-the-air software update?

Upon starting the car or « restarting » the center screen, speakers will play music OR will play Bluetooth phone calls, whichever comes first. BUT, if you start with music and you get a call, the car will pick up he Bluetooth call but there’s no sound coming from the speakers.

Conversely if the first action you do is a phone call, it will play just fine. BUT when you finish the call and switch to music, speakers are silent despite the fact music is playing and volume is up.

Finally, one last glitch. Started a drive with a successful phone call. Hen switched to music and no sound from speakers. Upon finishing driving, I opened the door, and music suddenly came back, at maximum, and the car speakers were unresponsive to commands.

What the hell is going on. Am I the only one?

I do have BT issues too, but only with playing youtube on my phone while charging at a supercharger.

Situation:
Sitting in car at the SC, chareger connected.
Go to youtube app on my Galaxy S8 Plus android phone
Start a video, after 1 second it stops, it does not start
I disable BT on my phone
The video starts
I enable BT on phone, it connects to my car and plays the video with sound via BT

Does anyone have this too?

The media player seems to forget what source it was playing when returning to the car. If I listen to an audiobook over Bluetooth, and then switch to XM radio - when I return to the car, sometimes it will try to play media over BT instead.

I've had the same situation the other way - was last listening to BT and when I get back to the car, it starts playing XM.

In both cases, the audio was likely turned off before I left the car - and it starts playing on its own.

Since Tesla first introduced sleep mode in 2013, they've continued to have problems restoring the media player status when the car resumes from sleep. Initially there was a way to completely disable sleep mode - but in one of the major releases, Tesla removed that, and now you can only disable sleep during the day - all cars go into sleep mode overnight.

Haven't seen wakuwaku's BT problem - we have watched videos from an Android tablet with the audio sent via BT through the media player - and other than the .5 second audio delay, it has worked without any problems.

Has anyone else experienced the following since the last over-the-air software update?

Upon starting the car or « restarting » the center screen, speakers will play music OR will play Bluetooth phone calls, whichever comes first. BUT, if you start with music and you get a call, the car will pick up he Bluetooth call but there’s no sound coming from the speakers.

Conversely if the first action you do is a phone call, it will play just fine. BUT when you finish the call and switch to music, speakers are silent despite the fact music is playing and volume is up.

Finally, one last glitch. Started a drive with a successful phone call. Hen switched to music and no sound from speakers. Upon finishing driving, I opened the door, and music suddenly came back, at maximum, and the car speakers were unresponsive to commands.

What the hell is going on. Am I the only one?
No you are not the only one... I'm seeing the bluetooth reboot in my car quite a bit when I first get in. I can see it connecting/disconnecting from my phone (which is in the same spot I always keep it)... It even occasionally does this pretty loud click that comes through the speakers will make you jump right out of your skin if you're not expecting it... Think about the sound you hear unplugging a guitar from an amp with the gain reasonably cranked up. Additionally I have seen the voice command reliability drop considerably... For example, in the past when it would "get it wrong" I could still see the words it thought I said on the right side of the instrument cluster.... now it behaves like it doesn't hear me saying anything, displaying the tips screen, etc with some of the available commands you can use. I'm not sure what happened (if it is 3G connection related or mic gain related or something else) but it seemed to coincide with the last update the car did