TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Audio of Elon Gigafactory presentation on Electrek

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Ludus, Jan 12, 2017.

1. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

How did this "analyst meeting" get past Reg FD? Fair disclosure rules say all investors should have material data available simultaneously. Was there really nothing material at this event?

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Even if it's not a Reg FD violation, it stinks. The Q&A recording really should have been released by Tesla.

• Love x 2
  3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Audubon, the moderator of the investment thread, was an invitee. He's assured this forum repeatedly that no material information was conveyed.

4. neroden

At this point, I can pretty confidently say he's wrong about that, if only to a very minor extent.

I've already found material information in two of the slides which Whitney Tilson took photos of: the statements that lithium and nickel supply are secured for 2017 production. That's new information to the public, if I'm not very much mistaken. (If that's in the last quarter's financial statements and I missed it, I'll stand corrected.)

Now, we've all seen those slides now, so no harm, no foul, but still, this is really not best practice by Tesla.

• Like x 3
  5. enzo

enzo Member

Tesla has stated publicly that they are on schedule, thus any specific details, public or exclusive, about which aspects of the factory are on schedule (nickel, details gleaned on tour, etc) are irrelevant. So I'd say there could not have been any insider information revealed, unless it was to reveal that they are in fact not on schedule. (Which did not occur, obviously.)

• Like x 1
  6. neroden

The definition of "material" is insanely vague and contested. Officially, it's basically "Would this be likely to move the stock price?", believe it or not.

This is why it's best practice to just release the audio recording of the Q&A. The real question is why *not* release it.

• Informative x 1
  7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'd like to find a better recording. Less than a minute in, I had a headache trying to understand it and closed the window.

8. SBenson

SBenson Active Member

• Helpful x 3
  9. DriverOne

Why did River Rouge fail and why will this be different.

Elon: [18:00] I don’t want to say the reason for failure because it will get me in trouble.
    What is this "Rover Rouge" topic (could be transcription error)? There's an old Ford factory of that name, long closed. I can't think what else they could be referring to!

• Like x 1
  10. kenliles

kenliles Active Member

Henry Ford's Rouge - History - Ford Rouge Factory Tour

• Informative x 3
  11. DriverOne

That's a clearer article than the ones I found, and the parallels to Elon's "factory over a mine" comment stand out.

The Rouge achieved the distinction of automotive "ore to assembly" in 1927​

Promising, until

Ford’s obsession with ever-increasing cost reductions through methodical efficiency studies made life difficult for workers. [In 1937] union organizers led by Walter Reuther attempted to distribute union literature at the Rouge, Ford security and a gang of hired thugs beat them severely. It would be known as the Battle of the Overpass and became a pivotal event for the United Auto Workers and other unions.​

I wonder if that's what Elon was referring to as the reason for failure?

Also interesting:
    [By the 1960s] there was a growing awareness of the environment... government and manufacturers alike became aware that black smoke had other implications [besides full employment]. ... More manufacturing facilities located within a community, accumulatively adding to emissions, meant more stringent controls. This, in part, led to closure of some older facilities.​

GF's focus on renewables should help here. No smoke stacks seen by drone!

Something caused the decline, a move away from "ore to assembly", and the rise of distributed manufacture.

What differs this time? No thugs, no pollution. Same idea, different implementation?

• Like x 1
  12. neroden

I certainly hope that not hiring thugs and not spewing out pollution is the difference. :)

13. DriverOne

It could also have been the existence of unions. Mentioning that would get Elon into trouble. In the past Elon's mentions of unions has been inconclusive.