Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find auto play to be more of a nuisance, since most of the time if I'm plugging my phone in it's specifically because I want to charge it and not necessarily play music. Perhaps it could be an option in Settings.

For all you audio geeks out there, the Tesla media player will play High Resolution audio files from a USB stick. It can play 24-bit/192kHz and 24-bit/96kHz FLAC files. It can also play AIFF and WAV as well. I'd recommend trying out some hd audio on your Model S or X. With really good source material, the sound systems can be quite nice.

Also if you have a Model X, I have done some initial tests on my X with pink noise and a frequency analyzer. I have the 6 seat configuration and the initial readings were taken with just a driver in the car and the mythical rear parcel shelf cover and rear lift gate privacy cover in place. I'll take some readings without the real park shelf cover in place and see if it changes the EQ settings.

I'll post more detailed info when I get a chance, but here is a suggested setting on the EQ controls that produces a frequency response that I enjoy. This is with the Volume level set to the first '5' level (one click above '4').

Low - 1.5
Mid - 6.0
High - 5

For all you audio geeks out there, the Tesla media player will play High Resolution audio files from a USB stick. It can play 24-bit/192kHz and 24-bit/96kHz FLAC files. It can also play AIFF and WAV as well. I'd recommend trying out some hd audio on your Model S or X. With really good source material, the sound systems can be quite nice.

Also if you have a Model X, I have done some initial tests on my X with pink noise and a frequency analyzer. I have the 6 seat configuration and the initial readings were taken with just a driver in the car and the mythical rear parcel shelf cover and rear lift gate privacy cover in place. I'll take some readings without the real park shelf cover in place and see if it changes the EQ settings.

I'll post more detailed info when I get a chance, but here is a suggested setting on the EQ controls that produces a frequency response that I enjoy. This is with the Volume level set to the first '5' level (one click above '4').

Low - 1.5
Mid - 6.0
High - 5
Absolutely agree USB stick is the way to go with your tunes. iOS integration for your phone calls, contacts is there. Calendar is only 2 days deep.

Low - 1.5
Mid - 6.0
High - 5
Great stuff! Thanks neighbor!

Reactions: ksquared

Low - 1.5
Mid - 6.0
High - 5
Wait. It will play AIFF? Are you sure? All research I've done in the S threads say it will not play AIFF. I have just spent hours converting a bunch of my AIFF to FLAC and would appreciate not having to do more converting. Maybe I'll just load some and try for myself.

Confirmed. AIFF does play.

Well, damn that's a few hours I won't get back. At least I'll have a little extra room on my USB for future music purchases! :rolleyes::p;)
Sorry I didn't see your question above until now. You already figured it out. Yes, AIFF does play! I will be doing more audio tests and get some recommend EQ settings out, but just haven't had the time to set up the computer and measurement mic in the X recently.

My wife asked me to take out the rear parcel shelf, so the next EQ settings will be with out the shelf in place and with the two back row seats in the up position. May not be able to do this for another week or two, but I will get something done in the future for everyone to use!

Sorry I didn't see your question above until now. You already figured it out. Yes, AIFF does play! I will be doing more audio tests and get some recommend EQ settings out, but just haven't had the time to set up the computer and measurement mic in the X recently.

My wife asked me to take out the rear parcel shelf, so the next EQ settings will be with out the shelf in place and with the two back row seats in the up position. May not be able to do this for another week or two, but I will get something done in the future for everyone to use!
Thanks! Appreciate the audio testing. I'm already using your settings posted above. Although I did boost the bass by .5 and might go a bit higher. Yeah, I'm a sucker for the bass! Gotta rock the Beastie's!

Here are some updated settings. First for reference I have an 6 seat Model X, Ultra White interior with Figured Ash wood. These were calibrated with only the driver in the car. I sat in the drivers seat and moved my head to the side and placed a measure mic where my head would normally be. I'm 5 feet 10 inches tall. 3rd row seats were up (passengers can sit in them) and I only had the rear lift gate privacy shelf installed. I aimed to get a slight lift in the bass frequencies, a fairly flat mid range and a slight rolloff of the highs. I would suggest you listen to the various settings with the car parked and get a sense of how the car audio system sounds when the low frequency rumble of the tires/road is not interfering with the low frequency sounds being produced by the speakers. When the car is in motion, you will probably notice that the bass frequencies sounds less prominent than they do while you are driving. These settings are fairly neutral, so if you like bass, you will feel that the bass EQ is low. Adjust it to your taste. These are meant as a starting reference. Also these were made with dolby surround off, fade and balance set to zero. The volume level I indicate is just where the volume changes to that setting from the lower setting level. So volume level 2 for example is just after it switches to 2 from volume level 1:

Vol 2: Low +1.5, Mid 0, High +2.5
Vol 3: Low +1, Mid 0, High +2
Vol 4: Low 0, Mid +3.5, High +5.5
Vol 5: Low 0, Mid +2.5, High +5
Vol 6: Low -1.5, Mid +1, High +4
Vol 7: Low -2, Mid +0.5, High +3.5
Vol 8: Low -3, Mid +1, High +4.5
Vol 9: Low -2.5, Mid -1, High +6

I didn't do a run at Vol 10 as I noted what appeared to be the amps running out of headroom and clipping with the test tones I was using. You can probably just use Vol 9 settings if you want to run the volume at 10. The above settings are very quick and dirty. I only spent about 30 minutes running my tests, so I know I can dial them in better, but the above can give you all a starting point to tweak from. I don't believe there is any 'right' setting. Just start with these as I think they give you a good balanced place to start from and adjust to your personal taste after you hear what the baseline settings sound like. I'm going to run more tests and try to be more accurate in my next calibration session. I just used m iPhone for this run. I do have a professional calibration mic and computer analyzer software that I will test with, I just need to set aside a big block of time to really do it right.