Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audiophiles w/ Model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone suggest a Chicago area car audio spot? I typically do these upgrades myself but I have a newborn and will not have the time. I will purchase the equipment, just need someone to install
I live in the Chicago area and take all my cars to Mobile Audio Plus in Bloomington, IL. They have experience with S and X cars and they will be replacing all the speakers in my 3 performance with premium audio utilizing all the brackets from the 3D printed bracket thread. Just FYI.

I installed the Light Harmonic T4D speaker upgrade kit. It’s a great plug and play upgrade.
C59452C8-C869-4958-A754-25C3412D3AC6.jpeg
FBD4056A-440E-46FB-A95D-B0942F4CE061.jpeg
0717BE95-ACAF-4EB2-A788-812CAB2810DE.jpeg
41F73D35-24E8-4337-B34E-3561B7B64D90.jpeg

I live in the Chicago area and take all my cars to Mobile Audio Plus in Bloomington, IL. They have experience with S and X cars and they will be replacing all the speakers in my 3 performance with premium audio utilizing all the brackets from the 3D printed bracket thread. Just FYI.
That post was from 2 years ago. I have a sneaking suspicion that any wanted upgrades have already been made.

@todd2fst4u,

And? Can we get a review and your impression of the upgrade? How are the LIght Harmonics. Any perceptible sound difference?

Ski
I notice an improved bass response mostly. I’m not sure a true audiophile would be happy but these are a great upgrade for someone who wants something simple. They fit exactly like OEM and have the correct connectors already which makes installation easy.

Reactions: Skione65
I notice an improved bass response mostly. I’m not sure a true audiophile would be happy but these are a great upgrade for someone who wants something simple. They fit exactly like OEM and have the correct connectors already which makes installation easy.

The fact that they are a direct fit with the right connectors already is awesome. Wish the speaker grills on the doors were removable so you didn't have to take off the entire door panel. Cars used to come that way, seems like none do nowdays.

On an SR+, are the outer dash midrange speakers supplied with the full higher frequency range by the amp? In other words, is there any sort of low-pass filter built-in to the amp for these speakers? Just wondering if it makes sense to install a 2-way speaker here (e.g. Infinity Reference) if high-frequencies are rolled off. I believe on the Premium audio cars, there is a filter since higher frequencies are sent to the door tweeters.

On an SR+, are the outer dash midrange speakers supplied with the full higher frequency range by the amp? In other words, is there any sort of low-pass filter built-in to the amp for these speakers? Just wondering if it makes sense to install a 2-way speaker here (e.g. Infinity Reference) if high-frequencies are rolled off. I believe on the Premium audio cars, there is a filter since higher frequencies are sent to the door tweeters.
Yes, the outer dash midranges in an SR+ (at least on my 2021) extend from about 250hz and up. You could put a 2 way in there, but honestly, it's better just to enable the door tweeters as it will widen the front stage a lot. It really helps out the sound.

Yes, the outer dash midranges in an SR+ (at least on my 2021) extend from about 250hz and up. You could put a 2 way in there, but honestly, it's better just to enable the door tweeters as it will widen the front stage a lot. It really helps out the sound.
Thanks. My plan is to enable the door tweeters (passively wire them to the outer dash mids) but replace them with Focal ISU200 tweeters. Dash mids will be replaced with Faitals.

Trust me that's the wrong way to go and you are misinformed about one essential fact. Those front speakers in the dash are run virtually full range after a high pass filter with the cut-off around 250-300 Hertz and thus output significant treble. Turning them into mid-ranges (how they're sometimes referred to) will seriously impact your Sound Stage and degrade the overall audio. Boosting the pillar or door tweeters will not fill the gap. The big problem with the current stock audio is that the front dash speakers don't really have flat power radiation past about 3k as frequency wavelength starts to become significantly smaller than driver sixe. The Faital people have been using is basically a full-range driver and so is the Infiniti 4022 with its supplementary Tweeter. Don't replace those front dash speakers with just a mid Range, unless you don't mind undoing it later. Most everybody that's worked on the stock OEM system has described the replacement of the three front dash speakers as your biggest bang for the buck

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DFW_MVP
Trust me that's the wrong way to go and you are misinformed about one essential fact. Those front speakers in the dash are run virtually full range after a high pass filter with the cut-off around 250-300 Hertz and thus output significant treble. Turning them into mid-ranges (how they're sometimes referred to) will seriously impact your Sound Stage and degrade the overall audio. Boosting the pillar or door tweeters will not fill the gap. The big problem with the current stock audio is that the front dash speakers don't really have flat power radiation past about 3k as frequency wavelength starts to become significantly smaller than driver sixe. The Faital people have been using is basically a full-range driver and so is the Infiniti 4022 with its supplementary Tweeter. Don't replace those front dash speakers with just a mid Range, unless you don't mind undoing it later. Most everybody that's worked on the stock OEM system has described the replacement of the three front dash speakers as your biggest bang for the buck

Thanks for the added info. My plan for the front dash drivers is:
- Replace all three with Faital 4FE32's
- Replace the center tweeter with a Dayton ND25FN (with a capacitor/filter, as it is a passive tweeter)
- Wire the door tweeters in parallel with the outer dash drivers and replace with Focal ISU200 (with a capacitor/filter, as they are passive)

To me, this would result in a better audio quality than using Infinity reference coaxials for the out dash drivers? interested in your opinion. You sound like you know your stuff.

For the front and rear doors, plan is to use Focal ISU200 8" up front and 4FE32's in the back.

Ah, I guess that makes more sense on a stock system. On my SR+, I replaced all of my dash mids with AudioFrog GB25, and used GB10 tweeters on the door sail panels. However, I'm also running them off a Helix V Eight DSP/Amp, so I have the dash speakers crossed over from 250-3000hz, and the tweeters playing 3000hz and up. For the doors I have 8" AD W800Neo crossed between 60hz-250hz, and then my SQL-12 sub filling everything below.

I could see where on a stock system, you're right, you don't have the ability to cut off the dash as midrange, so they are full range drivers.

Ah, I guess that makes more sense on a stock system. On my SR+, I replaced all of my dash mids with AudioFrog GB25, and used GB10 tweeters on the door sail panels. However, I'm also running them off a Helix V Eight DSP/Amp, so I have the dash speakers crossed over from 250-3000hz, and the tweeters playing 3000hz and up. For the doors I have 8" AD W800Neo crossed between 60hz-250hz, and then my SQL-12 sub filling everything below.

I could see where on a stock system, you're right, you don't have the ability to cut off the dash as midrange, so they are full range drivers.
And here's the problem. Most people who replace those front dash speakers with just better full range drivers have described the upgrade as significant. That includes the Faital's and the Infiniti 4022. You're talking about having multiple feet between tweeter and midrange a short distance away from both drivers. Not sure how that's going to sound and there's likely a reason why Tesla drove the front 4 inch speakers virtually full range with a bass filter to protect them from excessive Excursion. After you're done you should listen to Just a stock premium audio system and then one that has had the above modification. I think you'll be disappointed in how your system sounds.

And here's the problem. Most people who replace those front dash speakers with just better full range drivers have described the upgrade as significant. That includes the Faital's and the Infiniti 4022. You're talking about having multiple feet between tweeter and midrange a short distance away from both drivers. Not sure how that's going to sound and there's likely a reason why Tesla drove the front 4 inch speakers virtually full range with a bass filter to protect them from excessive Excursion. After you're done you should listen to Just a stock premium audio system and then one that has had the above modification. I think you'll be disappointed in how your system sounds.
It would be an interesting comparison. I have a DSP though so I can tune time alignment, phase shifts, and anything else so Im sure it’s possible to do better than stock. In fact all of the guys who build SQ comp teslas aren’t running their dash full range, they’re doing midrange and having the sip tweets take the uppers. It’s pretty easy to blend it all together with time alignment.